Movies and their sequel that play seamlessly as one movie when joined together

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The fact that one movie is a sequel to another doesn't necessarily mean the two can fit together as one movie. In my view, not only does the story of the second movie have to pick up more or less right where the first movie left off, but the two films have to substantially have the same look and feel.

yesstiles likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't really see a difference.

3. Squealy

Sigh.... of course the two stories connect to each other. T2 is a sequel to T1. But they are not like two parts of the same movie.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

No need to sigh, I just disagree with you.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Story wise, they merge fine. The look of the films are quite different however, due mostly to the increased budget for T2.

yesstiles likes this.
  6. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I see it to an extent, but I still think they are close....of course I saw the remastered "blue" T1 so that is likely clouding my opinion.

videoman likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

I don't see that as really being out of place either. Many sequel's have been blessed with larger budgets, after the first movie was financially successful.

That is one way on ensuring the continued success and building the foundation for a successful franchise.

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I'm not saying it is out of place or anything. Just noting that I don't think the movies could be edited together to be one seamless long film such as the OP is inquiring about. And one of the reasons I don't think they would work together well as one long film is this reason.

But there are worse examples in this thread, to be sure.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Squealy

If all that matters is that one story follow the other then any sequel qualifies...

Really I don't think there are many good examples of what the OP is talking about. Generally, either sequels feel like separate stories in a series (Harry Potter, Star Wars etc.), or the "series" itself is really just one story split into sections (Lord of the Rings). It's rare that a sequel feels like it's just the first movie continuing on.

10. Superman and Superman II?

11. SandAndGlass

I do think that film maker's do try to insert some "freshness" as they move down the sequel road, so the audience does not tire of "more of the same thing", syndrome.

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I DO think you pretty much have to discount any "sequels" that were planned from the outset. When you go into a movie knowing you're make 8 of them if the first one does well, (or even if it doesn't) I think it stands to reason you've planned to have them all work in sequence with each other.

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Aliens and Alien3.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

T2 is essentially the same movie as its predecessor, something that is rarely acknowledged. It’s every bit the rehash that Escape from L.A., Home Alone 2, The Hangover 2 and The Force Awakens are. So even if it weren’t seamless, even if the events of the second film pick up immediately after the events of the first film, it wouldn’t be seamless because the second film isn’t really expanding the story. It’s structurally the same story and is treading nearly identical ground.

TheVU and The Hud like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you miss the goal of this thread. It's to look at sequels that pick up literally where the prior film left off.

Example that fits: "Back to the Future"/"BTTF II"/"BTTF III".

Example that doesn't fit: "Terminator"/"T2"/"T3".

Obviously the sequels take place after the original, but they couldn't flow as one long movie. The sequels both take place years later...

EwaWoowa likes this.
  16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I don't agree with that at all. John is not Sarah. War is stopped...war is still to come in first movie...Terminator gives hope...no hope in frst flick...etc....

Agree to disagree.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

John Wick 1 & 2

bopdd likes this.
  18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Two of my favorite Double Features: 1 - On Moonlight Bay / By The Light Of The Silvery Moon (There is a gap of time where Bill heads
    off to war & comes back from the war but it's done so well as if they didn't skip a beat.) 2 - The Jolson Story / Jolson Sings Again (The
    way these two are connected is perfect. They could actually connect as one movie. Both of these sets are highly recommended!
    [​IMG]

Manapua and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

The Girl Who Played with Fire followed by The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. These fit perfectly together.

While The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo certainly initiates the trilogy, it doesn't seamlessly transition to "...Played with Fire", so I'm not including it in the "seamless" sequence.

20. SandAndGlass

So let me ask you, does the sequel Alien's fit the threads criteria, of seamlessly following up the first movie?

How about the different Star Wars trilogy's?

21. Squealy

Doesn’t The Bourne Ultimatum actually fit inside of The Bourne Supremacy, or something like that? The last scene of Supremacy takes place after most of the plot of Ultimatum?

22. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

The Welsh-Indonesian films "The Raid"and "The Raid 2" continue seamlessly, and taken back-to-back offer 4+ hours of the most kinetic (and ultra-violent) close-combat action that one can imagine. Not for all tastes, perhaps, but these films are very well done for those in the mood for such things.

Aaron

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

In Like Flint & Our Man Flint

Spaghettiows likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What happened there was that his longtime editor Sally Menke (who was a very tough lady) sadly passed away after a run in the Hollywood Hills. Her loss devastated Quentin and he's basically said he's put a lot of stuff -- like the 4-hour version of Kill Bill -- on the back burner. Menke was a huge, huge reason for Quentin's success for the first 10-15 years of his career.

supermd, TheVU, SandAndGlass and 2 others like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I knew she had died, but forgot to put those two things together. She was an amazing talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.