Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

2. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

If I was concerned about how musicians were carrying on in their spare time, I wouldn't be into music.

It's a terrific record.

3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

If I find out an artist is a sex abuser or wife beater, I don’t buy their records. But, to each their own.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

So no James Brown, John Lennon, Chuck Berry or Miles Davis records in your collection, then?

5. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

i really like the new Kurt Vile. Wakin’ on a Pretty Daze is a favorite, and is really the only album of his I listen to regularly. I like this one nearly as much after just a few listens. Very strong.

cacaaaaaaw and Ironclaw like this.
  6. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Well, Lennon and Davis were dead before I started collecting their used CDs. So, no, Id like to think I don’t enable such behavior with my measly patronage. But, I’m no biographer of those guys, if there’s especially egregious allegations, I’d hope they’d be widely disseminated. There’s, degrees of abuse, and everyone has to decide for themselves.

Big Swifty likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

How crass do you have to be to overlook sexual assault for the pursuit of pop music you enjoy?

Cherrycherry likes this.
  8. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Never heard of this person.

Really.

Next.

9. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

A super under-the-radar release (in the USA at least) is the Polish jazz album Gorecki Ahead by the Oles Brothers and Christopher Dell:

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'd like to second (third?) the album by Anna St. Louis "if only there was a river". It's easy to get into but reveals more the more you play it. Sparse production but little weird gems abound, like eerie wailing string arrangements, psych-like stereo messery and more. thanks for posting the link I never heard of her before.

stefane likes this.
  11. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

12. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

If the artist/group is dead already when you buy the album- you're good.
    If you bought the album before becoming aware of the nasty behavior- you're good.
    If you buy the album while being cognizant of the nasty behavior- you're good.
    It's all about degrees of abuse per ironjaw. :doh:
    While a serious topic, it may be better to discuss in a separate thread.

13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

First listen and this one's interesting, instrumentals and whilst vocals for me would enhance it for me, the playing is excellent (although I'm not qualified to say.)
    Jim Ghedi & Toby Hey - The Hawksworth Grove Sessions

stefane and Mugrug12 like this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Rocket

PanaPlasma and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Man the world is getting wacky that they'd split up just because of accusations made about a relationship . . . it's wacky that this stuff is basically taken to a "social media court," too. If the guy did something illegal, have evidence of it and take it to the police.

heathen likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

lol re the immediate hypocritical backpedaling.

Anyway, how about we don't bring this crap into this thread, from both sides, because people's attitudes about it just piss me off, and my views about it are just going to piss other folks off, too.

Let's get back to posting great new music.

18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

K level an insult, then call an end to the conversation. Haha. Another option is not to post music by artists with new credible sexual and physical abuse allegations and/or related court cases. I’m not going to defend my position, though I could. Funny, that I ignore SourCherry, and he continues in his vitriol towards me and the thread in general. His negative posts to positive posts ratio has got to be 10:1.

Art is not a mirror held up to reality
    but a hammer with which to shape it. [And as patrons of the musical arts, we have hammers, too.]
    Bertolt Brecht

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  19. Terrapin Station

I'll post music by convicted serial killers if I like the music.

I couldn't care less what the musician is like personally. I care what the music is like.

funknik likes this.
  20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

The Hookworms guy hasn't actually been found guilty of anything.

heathen and Terrapin Station like this.
  21. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I’m not saying he’s guilty, but as a consumer I’d like to know about such serious allegations. Henceforth, in these cases, a one line notification of allegations/case info and link would be satisfactory for those in my camp (“conscious consumers” if you will). (I wish that’d I’d have done that rather than post sensationalizations. Apologies.) Each can make their decision from there.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  22. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Good for them.

23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Nice it took you like 10 mins to undo your own reasonable post that we should not talk about this, in order to say something strictly designed to inflame.
    You have really low self control don't you? Or is there some philosophy 101 reason why self control is a simulation according to Kierkegaard? Maybe you should just post albums you think are the best of 2018 here.

Frank likes this.
  25. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Stone Turntable and gregorya like this.