‘House of Cards’ Resumes Production, With Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He didn't kill her. It was a means to an end. She survived and is in this season.
    You don't believe he could get away with it if this was real life? I do.

2. I agree. I don't think that she has ANY humanity.

3. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Yes - I reject the idea that a President would try to push someone down three carpeted stairs in the middle of the White House with the hope of them somehow.... not remembering it happening? Suffering anything more than a minor concussion?

4. You'd be surprised. My wife fell down the stairs in our house and she blacked out which usually happens to her when there's the potential for a lot of pain or fear. She doesn't remember the fall itself just remembers being at the bottom of the stairs. I agree it's quite contrived but, well, this is a melodramatic show. That scene is one of the one's that indicated it was jumping the shark.

905 likes this.
  5. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Could have been worse. He could un-follow her on Twitter.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

OMG, that was horrible! They really shouldn't have bothered. No wonder the season was truncated to 8 eps. It was like watching a bunch of zombies stumbling through a bunch of random, tacked-on plotlines that often led nowhere or no one gave a crap about!

While the series had jumped the shark a few seasons back, season 6 really took it to another level. So, so, disappointing. I had such high hopes for Claire...

GodShifter likes this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The loss of Spacey was too much to overcome. Yes, he had to go for obvious reasons, but the show was building to a crescendo that was then unable to reach. Tough spot for the writers who had to basically start from scratch and quickly rewrite the last season, but it was extremely unsatisfying for viewers.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

3 episodes in and I gave up.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched the first episode of season 6 last night. Yuck. Since Claire was my least favorite character, a season built around her is going to be hard to watch. She has to try too hard to be evil--came more naturally to Frank.) Also, Robin is simply not a very good actress in my opinion.) I may not make it for all 8 episodes. In some respect, since we (in the US at least) are living in an appalling political world, there doesn't seem to be much point in watching a fictional one!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Chrome_Head and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Watching coverage of the midterms tonight is probably more interesting than watching this show IMO.

Bachtoven likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I stopped watching after season 2. It sounds like it's taken shark jumping to a whole other level, like jumping a shark over a whole line of flaming motorcycles.

realkilroy, 905 and GodShifter like this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I think she's fine in the right role. But she's got to have something to work with. Her performance wasn't the only bad thing about this season. What were the writers and producers thinking?

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

She's a fine actor, that's not the issue. The writing was just abysmal which makes sense given the circumstances.

14. Chris DeVoe

If anyone watching the American show hasn't seen it, they really need to find the British original. 12 episodes of nasty perfection.

The Blu-ray is only $27.95 at Target.

House of cards trilogy (Blu-ray)

Shak Cohen, realkilroy and Osato like this.
  15. glide

glide Forum Resident

The writing is terrible. The staff had something like 11 out of 13 episodes completed, then they scrapped every single one of them and went back to the drawing board to come up with this 8 episode truncated mess of a season.

If Netflix felt so strongly about Spacey's behavior they should have simply cancelled the show. This is nothing more than a cash (subscriber)-grab.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

They filmed the first two episodes with Kev - I wonder if they'll leak a few years from now.

17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I had enjoyed all other seasons for what they were, and was looking forward to see the changes this season.

I couldn't get through literally five minutes. That first Oval Office scene. Felt badly written, acted, and directed in a substandard manner I hadn't seen the show come close to before. And I think there are many very talented people involved...

There's too much else out there to watch, I moved on.

18. dmiller458

I'm wondering if they could have recast the role of Frank.

19. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Was Christopher Plummer available?

20. dmiller458

Too old.

21. Chris DeVoe

It was a joke about Plummer replacing Spacey in the film All The Money In The World.

GodShifter and dmiller458 like this.
  22. dmiller458

I figured.

23. glide

glide Forum Resident

...or if they should have done anything to begin with.

Spacey was a terror on the set by all accounts and Netflix didn’t care one bit about his behavior during prior seasons.

To the best of my knowledge he was not charged with or convicted of any crime. The same cannot be said for a large number of Hollywood actors but drunk driving, spousal abuse, drug possession, are not part of the cause du jour.

Scott222C likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

It does have the feeling of a "moral panic." If he was truly guilty, he should be tried and imprisoned, like Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby.

25. That they had to work with Claire and didn't have a choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.