Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

While true, the one lasting blemish to McCartney as a live performer will always be that he didn't perform so many of his fantastic songs!

Yes! He is absolutely wonderful to see, and I will be eternally grateful that I witnessed his artistry (Especially the Wings Over America tour) live four times! But this aspect of his live performing just can't be overlooked or ignored!

I always say, how many artist do you know that didn't perform some of their #1 hits?! Not just that, but didn't perform some of their absolute best material? We should be more than grateful for Paul McCartney, but the real truth is, he has left so much fantastic music on the table. The discussion of his voice doesn't change anything for me, it's entirely understandable for a 77 year old, but his exclusion of performing so many great songs over the decades, is the one major blemish to his legacy as a live performer!

Just my opinion.

foxylady, gja586, AJK74 and 4 others like this.
  2. macca728

macca728 Forum Resident

I totally agree and concercing his voice most recent somgs would be easier to perform. And then more people will know them and hld them in higher regard then now.

susyredstripe and theMess like this.
  3. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

No, because all these people will be in the bathroom.

The only thing he can and should do is announce beforehand he'll do a hits-free tour in smaller venues, like Prince did when he changed his name.

Treat for the real fans, and for him, as the people will actually listen when he plays his latest songs and deep cuts.

idreamofpikas, CDC and BZync like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t agree at all that the choice of material during Pauls concert will blemish his reputation. The reason his concert still sell outeven though high prices is that the vast majority of the audience wants exactley what they get. Loads of Beatles classics, not so few solo/Wings hits, some deep cut and a few new songs
    We hard-core Macca-affectionados certanely would have wanted a different path but in the big sceme we are relatively few
    The same goes with his voice-most people accept his age and take the vocal for what it is. The spectacle, Pauls charisma and the whole feel-good, nostalgic vibe makes up for the vocal short-comings. Exept among hard-core fans dwelling in You-tube clips of Paul struggling with his voice.
    Whatever is or is not included on the gigs-Pauls reputation as a songwriter, recording artist and also a first rate perforner is- and will always be carved in Stone.A Mount Rushmore of sorts within music
    Next year Paul turns 77 so he is reachin towards 80. He just had a nr one very critically aclaimed new album and sell out stadiums by the number
    When I read rewiews of Pauls concerts in the real world they are usually in awe of the mans energy doin three hour with set-list full of timeless classics. They acknowledge a decline in vocal but still sense the power and joy communicating through the gigs
    There is no way Paul is goin to change this pattern at this stage. Just like other heavy-weight champions there is a real risqué he goes one round to far. Not even such an event will change his reputation
    I’n a few years time I’m convinced Paul’s concerts will be the stuff of legend
    His recorded legacy will also live on and be cherished for a very long time
    I’m not saying Paul can t be critizesed for the choices he makes but in the big sceme his reputation won t be hurt
    As I said before
    You don t know what you got until you lose it

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney on Twitter:

"The ultimate wow moment on the last night of our Japanese tour. Thank you fans for giving us such a great time. Love Paul and the band"

[​IMG]

The Band, Hep Alien, theMess and 3 others like this.
  6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

foxylady, The Band, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  7. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

What amazing fans he has in Japan. I saw another picture at the same show where they used cards to spell out "Japan Loves Paul" in a huge sign. No wonder he tours there so often.

8. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hep Alien, theMess and Zeki like this.
  9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

10. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

Your and my definition of 'fascinating' are apparently very different :)

theMess, JoeRockhead, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

See this is where I think some are totally wrong! First of all, as I've said over and over and over, absolutely no one is asking for McCartney to do a hits free tour! He can and should perform the hits, it's all the other songs that could be changed!

As for the few people who may go to the bathroom, let them! It's their lose, the places will still be full of thousands of people who will appreciate what they are hearing!

I didn't say McCartney's reputation would be hurt in any kind of way!

I said to me, his legacy as a live performer will have a blemish, because of all the fantastic songs he didn't perform that people all over the world would love to hear him perform. I think some only look at this from an American point of view, many of his Wings/solo songs are absolutely loved around the world and it's a shame that over the decades he has left so much of that music totally untouched live?

That it has turned out that way is a major blemish, just my opinion.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And his Beatles songs are loved more around the world! That's the reality. Paul is not going to change his setlist formula, so why keep carping on about it?

Bemagnus and Binni like this.
  13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The people around the world who love his Wings/solo material like it just as much as they do the Beatles, in fact some like it more, there's two sides to every coin!
    As long as McCartney continues to perform live, there's the chance that he may perform more of this great music!

That's why it's worth it to keep so called carping about it!

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The people who prefer Wings/solo material to Beatles material are in the minority. Paul knows that, and his setlists reflect that fact. Carping on and on about playing other stuff every time he tours is not going to change matters.

foxylady, ohnothimagen and Bemagnus like this.
  15. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

The bloke from eFestivals is pretty certain McCartney is headlining Glastonbury 2019, with The Cure and Stormzy (at the forums), and he's got his sources: Glastonbury Festival 2019 line-up and rumours - eFestivals.co.uk Having said that, he's wrong about Arctic Monkeys playing.

Just now McCartney got a bit of good press in the UK again, he's going to throw it all away again in one go. I admire the man, but I'm not sure what he wants to achieve by revisiting Glastonbury after he nailed the 2004 performance. What can he add? Apart from the fact he's still playing 25 out of 33 songs from that night regularly, with about 20 songs even in the most recent shows, because his setlist is going in circles...

We discussed this earlier in this thread: Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

forthlin, Mamunia, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

To keep it Wings themed, didn't you mean Again and Again and Again?

maccafan and CDC like this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It certainly won't hurt matters either!

I like the theme, not the song!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I personally don t see any point at all endlessly arguing Paul’s should start playing more solo/Wings stuff live. Truth is he won t and whatever we feel about it that’s reality
    Personally I could not care less about this matter. It s just pointless to year in and year out expressing the same thing. At his age Paul’s not goin to tinker with his formula
    In the end this comes down to accepting Paul as the kind of crowd-pleasing artist he is and in many respect always has been
    All the un-performed stuff is there to enjoy-we must accept that Paul divides his recording and live-things. At least that s my opinion

20. macca728

macca728 Forum Resident

Thats true, he won't change now anymore although he played some songs we never expected in the last 5 years or so.

Ryan Lux, Who Cares and Bemagnus like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

He sure did-changes and surprises like that can happen-nothing more
    He gives the big audience what they want and what they pay for.
    Nothing wrong with that
    He also gives us fans a great new album and gigantic archive-releases
    A win-win-situation

JoeRockhead likes this.
  22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

That was 15 years ago, at the very least he will be performing to 100k people who have never seen him live before.

ajsmith likes this.
  23. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Such a dumb move on his part to do Glastonbury again. He'll be roasted on Twitter and in all the tabloids again. Just like after the Olympics. He's apparently a glutton for UK punishment.

theMess and mindgames like this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I dunno about that. The Olympics (and the other big event voice fails he was involved in in the early/mid 2010s) were guest spot events of 1/2 songs that were experienced by most on unforgiving TV. Glastonbury is a full show, and is primarily experienced as a live show; sure it’s televised but it’s not as much of an ‘event’ tv moment as the various ceremonies Paul was futzing up circa 2012/3/4. I think he’ll more than get away with it.

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that online he could potentially be trashed. He may impress the crowd at Glastonbury, but I can see the audio on TV not sounding great; he always sounds even worse with the way the BBC mix live vocals for some reason (and not just him, other acts to, always sound better at other festivals like Melt).

forthlin and mrjinks like this.