"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Since he was from Indonesia its perhaps strange he didn't end up in Holland.

Anyway I'm sorry his After 8 didn't make it to cd. My other favorite song from that album was Tribute to Tino (Valentino)

2. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry you had to work so hard. (not really :tiphat:)

Damiano54 likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for #47.

4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Tin Star for #47, insomnia can be productive.

5. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

The newest question is actually #48. Taco was 47.

6. Oldies trivia guy

:yikes: Thanks for catching that :doh:

7. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

11/5/18

After this "clean cut" group called it quits, one did backing vocals for Keith Moon's "Two sides of the Moon" album, one played guitar for the Stone Canyon Band, one became a dentist and one appeared as a bachelor on "The Dating Game".

"Come On Down To My Boat" / Every Mother's Son
    MGM Records #6 1967

Dennis and Larry Larden started out as a two guitar folk group in New York. The met dental student and keyboard player Bruce Miller and then theater majors Christopher Augustine on drums and Sky Larsen on bass. They made a connection with producer Wes Farrell who had written "Boys", Come A Little Bit Closer" and "Hang On Sloopy". He recorded 12 songs with them and suggested "Come On Down To My Boat". Wes shopped the song around New York and five labels wanted to release it. They settled on MGM and the hit proceeded up the charts. Interest dwindled and the group called it quits. (did anyone else ever hear that most of them were dental students?)

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION........

11/6/18

These office workers started their version of the British invasion 2 months before The Beatles.

Please choose from the answer options above.......

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I was too lazy to wade through the last one but I think I got this. Provisional Silver.

By the way, I love Come On Down To My Boat. Anyone remember the original by The Rare Breed - Come And Take A Ride In My Boat? They later became The Ohio Express.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Damiano54 likes this.
  9. John B Good

Every Mother's Son? Only one hit, I guess their boat sunk.

Trying to think of British groups that charted before the Beatles in NA, but can't turn up anything that fits a two months window.

10. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I read on Wikipedia that Every Mother's Son featured in a Man From UNCLE episode, hence my comment about secret agent work.

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Ya mean this?

Damiano54 likes this.
  12. Harry Hood

Certainly do!

13. Oldies trivia guy

I had wondered what the "secret agent" comment was about.

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

"Dentist" was the big clue. People magazine did a memorable "Where Are They Now" feature on Larry Larden years ago, including a photo of him in a dental office setting but holding a portable keyboard.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Any time Every Mother's Son comes up, I always have to put in a word for their follow-up single. While "Boat" was a deserved hit, "Put Your Mind at Ease" was the far superior song. Regrettably, it only made it to #46, though it did get a smattering of AM radio play.

This is always my Exhibit A in any "shoulda been a hit" discussions.

geo50000 likes this.
  16. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Actually, Bruce Milner was the keyboardist and dentist.

17. John B Good

I seem to remember now that I have seen the name Larden in connection with Rick Nelson, but the clue when it was given meant nothing to me.

18. John B Good

Makes me think of Monkees at the start.

19. Oldies trivia guy

Only one answer to today's question? If I could, I would award a prize for a Gold Star on this one.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Yeah, I realized that after I made my post. For some reason, the two Larden brothers' names stuck in my mind, but you're right. Although according to someone earlier in this thread, more than one of the EMS lads went to dental school!

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was virtually certain of the answer to #49, but I did look up the one biographical detail you mentioned just to be sure I was right. So maybe I should get a gold/silver alloy on this one!

Assuming I am, the interesting thing about the song in question is that it actually had country roots, and was recorded years previous by one of my favorite country artists — something I was unaware of until many years after the fact.

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That's often pointed out. However, "Pleasant Valley Sunday" was released in July of 1967, and "Put Your Mind at Ease" came out in August of that year. With lag times associated with recording, pressing and releasing a record, it seems unlikely that Every Mother's Son could have heard "Pleasant Valley Sunday" prior to writing and recording "Put Your Mind at Ease."

John B Good likes this.
  23. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Ooo, ooo...the answer just occurred to me. I get a silver star.
    Their record was the 2nd 45 I ever bought.

24. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Gold Star.

25. Harry Hood

I have a few potential ideas, but then I remember that the thread title is One Hit Wonders. Damn!

Not just for this question; this happens for most of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.