Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Modest Mussorgskij - Sorocincy Fair: bought it today, I didn't know this existed on cd. Interesting Mussorgskij's incomplete and posthumous Opera Buffa with a choral version of A Night On Bald Mountain (Act 3) when that composition was still not well-known. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    bluemooze and StarThrower62 like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That was the third Beethoven Piano Sonatas box I acquired after the Gilels box and the first Kempff stereo box. I have since added another 12 boxes so I am done with my Beethoven Piano Sonatas ...

3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I don't worry about it. I was simply stating a reality I've encountered on classical music forums. But not this one, as this thread is more of a what are you listening to at the moment type affair. Luckily for me, as I age my tastes are broadening. I still don't listen to much classical era stuff, but I'm getting more into baroque organ and keyboard works, and I've greatly expanded my collection of 19th and 20th century symphonic, chamber, opera, and piano repertoire.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

That's a lotta listenin'. :righton:

bigstar87 likes this.
  5. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Again Mussorgskij, sung by the great Boris Christoff:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

7. bluemooze

Listening to CD 2 from "Mozart - Piano Sonatas" performed by Klara Wurtz on Brilliant.

Sonatas 6-8.

[​IMG]

8. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Yep, every day since I received it in August :thumbsup:

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

Over my 50 min 3 1/2 mile late afternoon walk, I listened to the following CD from my Brahms collection ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. and bluemooze like this.
  10. coopmv

This box may take me 5 years to complete my listening and it is on its way ...

bluemooze likes this.
  11. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Once I ripped and tagged everything in Jriver, listening to one album a day went by fairly quickly for being a 100 plus cd box set

12. coopmv

Do you rip and tag your entire CD collection?

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Did anyone order the Szell and forget to check "ship in Amazon's packaging"? :hide: I bought another one for a gift and forgot to do this. I know @ubertrout had a nightmare, just wondering if it happened to anyone else. I called Amazon and I don't think the rep understood me properly, he assured me it would be packed in Amazon's packaging.

ubertrout likes this.
  14. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Yep, have about 500 gbs ripped and meticulously tagged. For classical, I ripped one piece as one track, which makes the playlists for box sets and such easier to manage

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  15. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 13 from "Mozart - The Symphonies" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

March K408
    Symphony 35 'Haffner'
    Symphony 36 'Linz'

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

Is that about 1,000 CD's?

17. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

I believe so or pretty close to it

18. bluemooze

Was browsing the internet while listening to this, grooving to the beautiful sound. And coincidentally I came across this, from someone listening to the same box...
    "I keep thinking I will like these recordings, but when I listen I hate them. Schrill, string dominated despite the PI ensemble, that fussy harpsichord tinkling away. Horrid!"​

It's amazing how we all hear things so differently. I don't even hear a harpsichord, but we probably weren't listening to the same disc. :)

19. coopmv

I have so far about 141 GB ripped to my desktop with a 2-TB HD capacity using the native WMP, which can rip CD in a few lossless formats and I chose FLAC. But with the arrival of the Szell box, I will have close to 7,700 CD's and I doubt I will ever be able to rip and tag everything in my lifetime even when I have not had a day job for 5 1/2 years ...

The plan of digitizing my LP's and tapes (open reels of live concerts) I dreamed up over twenty years ago will probably not be realized.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The internet preserves every illogical half baked ill informed thought as well as the insightful but in unequal numbers. It turns out an Editor is a useful position after all. We are now in a world where everyone can "publish" their "work" 24/7.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Yeah, that would be way too much time and effort to rip that many cds and records. I started ripping everything about 6 or 7 years ago, so it was a collection ripped over time. If I had to rip that much music at once or start from scratch, I'd probably just use spotify premium and call it a day

bluemooze likes this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My "solution" to the ripping/tagging issue is to only rip something when I want to hear it (and after that it stays on the hard drive). So it never turns out to be a big deal or very time consuming.

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Some people really hate HIP recordings and can't hear anything good in them. While I admit that some of the AAM's earlier recordings can sound a bit rough, especially the horns and some string passages, I generally like them, though I must also admit that it took me a while to get into them - but that was many years ago.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. coopmv

It also took me a while to get used to HIP recordings since I was too used to listening to the ASMIF/Marriner. But other than baroque recordings, I really have a hard time accepting works from the classical period to be performed on HIP instruments. Haydn is an exception to me since I have always considered him a transition figure from baroque to classical ...

bluemooze likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For me HIP more or less ends post-Schubert, though I do like John Eliot Gardiner's Schumann Symphonies with the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique (DG). They do sound much clearer/cleaner and more transparent than some thick, over-romanticized versions.

layman likes this.