What is the Cause of My CD Burning Issues?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daniel Plainview, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man Thread Starter

Okay, here's the scenario:

I tried to burn some FLAC Metallica concerts (purchased legally from their website) and I keep getting discs where the first track (or a least the few couple of minutes) is all static and scuffing/skipping sounds.

First thought - CD drive. Well, I also have an external CD drive so I tried burning with that. Nope. The same.

Maybe it's the files? Nope. Tried to burn something else from the computer ("All Things Must Pass" in wav) and it was the same result.

Maybe it's the format? Nope. Converted concert files to mp3 and tried again. Same. (And I shouldn't have to sacrifice quality anyway).

Maybe it's the software? Well, I installed the newest version of CDXP burner (which I've been using for many years with no issue). Nope. Same problem.

I've messed with burning speeds. Removing CD text. Standing on one foot while the CD burned. No luck.

Also worth noting my Dell computer is the bane of my existence and a worthless piece of ****. I was happy with my old Compaq but then I reached the day when I couldn't install the newest windows on it and was forced to buy a new machine. Since then... living heck.

So... any ideas? Should I try an entirely different FREE Cd burning software? Can you recommend one?

Or... what is it that could effect the burning ability of two different drives?

Really ticked off because I spent $50 on Metallica downloads (even splurged for Flac) and now I can't burn the damn things. I just burned a CD last week without any issues. Granted, I did straight-up punch the Dell last Sunday out of frustration, but the external CD drive wouldn't have been effected by this.

Thanks.

2. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Maybe bad CD-Rs? But can they all be bad?

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It sounds like you already did a few things to rule out the fact FLAC files aren't corrupt. It's possible the drive isn't getting enough cached data before it starts burning, which is not a real problem usually these days.

If your computer sucks that bad, then you're spinning your wheels.

At this point in technology, CDRs are not the best choice anymore. I'd certainly look to maybe getting something that can play USB flash drives using 44.1 and higher. My choice lately with great success are the use of DAC micro computers and a NAS/Network drive.

Don't punch appliances. They get highly offended. Are you sure these aren't 24 bit files? They might be getting converted on the fly....

Grant likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

I'm using SONY brand CD-Rs. I'll buy a different brand tonight and try. I've thrown about 20 discs in the trash so far, but did manage to successfully burn 3 or 4. So maybe there's something going on. It's worth investigating.

5. Daniel Plainview

I like to listen to CDs in the car and in bed (Discman!). Is there a better way? I like something with a jewel case.

My car doesn't have a USB port, but my wife's car does. Does me no good, because we're only allowed to listen to Top 40 crap in her car.

Do they have things where you can stick a flash drive in it, pop on some headphones and go to town?

6. Daniel Plainview

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes.

Even older MP3 media players can play FLAC, like my SanDisk Sansa, it has a microSD slot and works a treat. I am using Rockbox and 44.1 16 bit is no problem. Hizres might be for some.

I've learned that keeping FLAC and the file untoched (with inexpensive backups) is best. I rode the CDR train like freaking choo choo Charlie. Not worth it anymore. Plus, CDRs are a little expensive and very volitle these days.

8. Daniel Plainview

I can dig it, but I like seeing the product on the shelf.

But an MP3 player might be better at bedtime than the Discman. My wife gets mad when I wake her up by clanking jewel cases around.

trumpet sounds and When In Rome like this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

This one supports FLAC and WAV, in case you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F34PNPL/

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

A few troubleshooting questions ;

1. How old is this PC?
    2. Which version of Windows are you running?
    3. Which software, aside from CDXP Burner have you used?
    4. How are you listening to these burned discs? Through the PC, a dedicated CD player, etc?
    5. Have you listened to the files themselves through your PC to see whether they exhibit that same behavior?

Grant and rodentdog like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

So each time I want to freshen up what songs are on it do I have to take the gizmo to the computer and load more? What if I'm in a rush? I tend to be impulsive in my music listening at bedtime. Is there such a thing where I can have a bunch of flash drives standing by (one Beach Boys, one Elvis, one Pearl Jam, etc) and can shove it in and go? (that's what she said)

forthlin likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

1. I think 6 or 7 years old.
    2. 10
    3. I don't have any other FLAC burning software on the computer. I have Windows Media Player but that will only burn MP3s...I think... I used Ogg mp3 converter to convert the flacs to mp3 when I tried that failed experiment.
    4. I tested them on PC, car, discman. All same.
    5. Yes, the files play correctly.

13. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Can you burn to a file instead of a disc, then mount the disc image and see if it burnt correctly?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Yes, each time you want to change what's on it, it has to be physically plugged into the PC to delete what you want to remove and load up whatever new material you want to listen to.

Assuming each HD album you own takes 1GB of space, that'd be roughly 16 albums this one single device could hold. You could buy more of the same if you want but would need to remember what is on which USB key or scroll through the menus. There are other ones with higher capacity on the market. I just took the first one I saw that was easily available for cheap just to give you an idea on an alternative.

15. Strat-Mangler

Thanks. So there isn't any other software you used for the burning process, aside from CDXP Burner.

Try another one, regardless of the fact that it worked up to now.

PowerISO, for instance. You'll have to download the appropriate version depending on which version of Windows you have installed ; 32 or 64-bit. To verify this, go to your Control Panel and go to System. Or just press on your keyboard on the Windows key + Pause/Break button which will automatically display this screen.

PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive, DAA File

Once it's installed, follow the steps outlined here and report back.

Burn flac files to Audio CD

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Try decompressing the files from FLAC to WAV first, then burning those. Likely you've got a memory problem on the computer that results in a buffer overrun or something. Try the drive on a more up to date machine to confirm.

17. Daniel Plainview

Mission accomplished.

Same. First minute of CD with noise.

WHY GOD WHY!?!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Quick test. Can you do it again but add a checkmark in the "Verify Written Data" checkbox?

Let me know what it reports (data is 100% accurate or not, etc).

19. Daniel Plainview

I don't have any other computers at my disposal. For some reason I can't burn on my work computer. I would have to install some sort of burning software on the sly and be sneaky about it. I'm not sure IT would allow it.

Maybe I should just buy a new computer. I hate the Dell. Have hated it from the start. Seems like a lot of money for the privilege of burning custom SMiLE mix discs at any given time but maybe it's time.

20. Daniel Plainview

Back at work now. Will try again when I get home tonight. Thanks for the assistance.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

I also burned a data disc of the files and that one had no issues when played back on the computer.

22. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Are you running Windows 10.
    I failed to burn discs with this
    Software.
    XP best for this .I find

23. Daniel Plainview

I am, but I have been for years now so I don't know why I'm only having problems now. Something has changed, and I don't know what it is (aside from me punching the computer).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  24. cre009

cre009 Well-Known Member

Are the flac files 16/44 format?

25. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

Keep in mind that the Metalica CD could be damaged. It happens and no matter what software/OS version/etc. you're using it could all be for naught. I use mostly dBAmp and EAC occasionally and it's happened to me after lending out my CD's to ham-handed friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.