Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Maybe it's one of the early copies that get sent out to reviewers and the like?

And obviously things are often "in stock" before the actual release date. Maybe they got their dates mixed up.

2. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Just snagged mine for $38.15 free shipping of course, from Deep Discount used GINGERSNAP for an additional $4 off the sale price of $42.15 with sales tax. I'm betting that's about as low as it gets.

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Nope. Still cheaper at ImportCDs. And their sale should be soon.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  4. Acoustic Warrior

Dig... I did say 'about' as cheap as it gets. So no info in ImportCDs pricing?

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not by much for me. The importcds current price with shipping and tax is $37.84 and Deep Discount is $38.15 with tax. I'll be buying the This Was set from Bull Moose for $38.97 at the local NH store with no tax. Rather support Bull Moose with the price so close than any of the others.

6. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bull Moose just shipped mine.

Bill Mac and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, mine is on the way should be here tomorrow a day early. Oh yeah Oh yeah....

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I listened to the previously-unrelased-on-cd first stereo mix, and even though is mostly a reversed version of the widely available one, it feels better, at least on headphones.
    The book, as you imagine is another excellent chapter of the Tull encyclopedia these reissues are offering. Lots to be read!

Galeans, Runicen and JulesRules like this.
  9. The original stereo mix has not been released on cd prior to this box? What did they use for the original release and the version in the "Originals" box?

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

There were two stereo mixes (not counting the new remix). The one included in this set was never issued on cd. Like I said, the differences lay mostly on panning.

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Got mine from Amazon.UK for $32 delivered. Lets hope in shows up in better shape than my King Crimson Meltdown did.

Kalli likes this.
  12. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

We now have FIVE mixes of this album!

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Past CD issues have used the U.S. stereo mix (which is on the DVD in the new set). I don't know the whole history but I suppose the tapes of the U.K. stereo mix have disappeared; promotional pictures of the new set show that the U.K. mix is a "disc transfer," which I'm guessing is a synonym for "needledrop."

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. So is this how the stereo mixes stack up?

1) original UK stereo mix, never previously issued on CD, currently included in new 50th Anniversary set (on CD only) -possibly a needledrop
    2) original US 1969 stereo mix, issued on 1st issued cds, the originals collection and 2001 remaster, and the 50th Anniversary set (DVD only)
    3) Peter Mew 2008 stereo remix issued with the 2 disk 40th Anniversary Collection
    4) Steve Wilson 2018 Stereo Remix issued with the 50th Anniversary collection (on CD and DVD)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Plan9 likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Stereo mix #1 doesn't sound like a needledrop to me, but I might be wrong, of course.

16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Six, actually. Mono, two vintage stereo, two stereo remixes, and the surround.

Larry Geller, Rne and Plan9 like this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's the chronology for stereo, yes.

You also have the 2018 SW surround remix and the 1968 mono mix of course.

18. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

A minor footnote, perhaps, and not the full album, but we could also add that just two tracks - "My Sunday Feeling" and "A Song For Jeffrey" - received a stereo remix for the 25-Year box set.

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

And the remixes on Living In The Past...

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I wonder if these songs qualify for "the most officially remixed tracks" in Rock.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i got a couple of things from import cd's that I would swear were china bootlegs ... may be wrong, but they make me nervous

22. Acoustic Warrior

I got "Stand Up" from them and it was indeed a boot.

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

They don´t pirate this kind of stuff.

But I´ve got a couple of pirate russian cds, and it´s hard to tell they are pirates.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep, me too

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They have pirated a few of the Tull booksets... without the book part. Easy to tell them apart then, but people still buy them.