"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.......

11/6/18

These office workers started their version of the British invasion 2 months before The Beatles.

"You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry" / Caravelles
    Smash Records #3 1963

Andrea Simpson and Lois Wilkinson worked at a brokerage firm in London. They were encouraged by their friends when they would sing this and other songs at parties. They were signed by London's B.P.R. Records and named themselves after the popular French airliner. This English recording peeked on the American Top 40 about six weeks before "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was released in the U.S..

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION......

11/7/18

John Wyker and Court Pickett used some of their Muscle Shoals, Alabama friends to make an album featuring this almost forgotten single.

Please choose from the answer options above........

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow, there was a slight chance I might have guessed that, being a lover of that song. I even bought a Caravelles cd a few months ago.

I guess I don't hear it as British Invasion, but as a throwback in that it is similar to old Girl Group styles and hits like I Love How You Love Me, or Born Too Late.

3. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Was certainly easy to get a Tin on No. 50.
    Just barely recall this record.

4. Oldies trivia guy

That's why I said "almost forgotten".

5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Tin on #50, I sold a sealed copy of the Court Pickett solo album a couple of months ago.

6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Dammit, I missed the thread yesterday, I had a gold star for #49!

No idea on the current one though

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

My instinct was correct on #49.

And despite the Wikipedia article citing Moon Mullican, it was Ernest Tubb who had the country hit on "You Don't Have to Be a Baby to Cry" in 1950, and his version is the best-known. (Perhaps Moon recorded it as an album cut — I can't find any reference to it being a single for him.)

I have a special fondness for many 1963 songs like this one that come from my first full year of AM radio listening. Everything exploded in January 1964, of course. But I always associate 1963 songs with my classic "sneak the transistor radio under the pillow late at night" era.

Damiano54 likes this.
  8. Oldies trivia guy

I have similar memories of '63 songs. That was the year I technically started in radio as a kid intern.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Tin Star for #50. I certainly remember the song, but the names of the principal band members meant nothing to me.

Still, I seem to recall having this album at the "underground" rock station I worked at in 1972, and I probably spun a track or two from it.

10. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Tin Star for me too on #50. I was hoping Mike's 1972 clue would help but it still didn't click with me. It was certainly easy to look up though.

I have at least one old radio aircheck with this song on it. It's a Larry Lujack aircheck from just after he moved to WCFL.

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Gold Star for #49. I wrote a short article about the song, so I know its back story.

B.P.R. was an early label of Chris Blackwell, who shortly thereafter founded the Island label. The Caravelles learned "You Don't Have to Be a Baby to Cry" from the B-side of Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons."

John B Good likes this.
  12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I can understand that being the case, as Ford was probably better-known in the UK than Ernest Tubb was. But Ford's version would have been released five or so years after Tubb's record.

13. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Didn't catch this thread for a few days.

This Latino groups hit also featured inebriated people in the studio.
    "Farmer John" / Premiers

This was my only guess but I knew it was all done in the studio. It's a brilliant record but nobody was drunk and it wasn't "live" in any venue. So I thought it must be something else. The only questions here I know the answers to are the garage classics!

Farmer John (song) - Wikipedia

"Although the band is credited with recording the song live at the Rhythm Room in Fullerton, California on the single's label, the Premiers actually entered Stereo Masters Studios in Hollywood to record "Farmer John". Cardenas delivers the unusual spoken word intro asking if anyone has seen "Kosher Pickle Harry", before the song breaks into a simplistic, but catchy, three-chord melody.[7] The key to closely resembling a live performance of "Farmer John" was supplied by members of the all-girl Chevelles Car Club, who provided the majority of the vibrant audience noise."

By the way I just love how the announcer pronounces "The Premiers" on the record. Perfect.

Sneaky Pete and John B Good like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Tin star for #50. I remember the tune but no clue about the personnel. Tin ear for #49. Don't remember this one at all so I'm guessin' it didn't get a lot of play around these parts.

15. Oldies trivia guy

Answer to yesterday's question......

11/7/18

John Wyker and Court Pickett used some of their Muscle Shoals, Alabama friends to make an album featuring this almost forgotten single.

"Motorcycle Mama" / Sailcat
    Elektra Records #12 1972

Sailcat was more of a happening than a group. They featured John Wyker and Courtland Pickett on guitars and vocals along with Clayton Ivey on bass, Chuck Leavell (Allman Brothers) on keyboards and Pete Carr (LeBlanc & Carr) on third guitar. All of them, except Chuck, contributed to writing their songs, but, this was the only one from the ones they recorded that went anywhere.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION.......

11/8/18

This former bellhop wrote this song to a girl he was wooing. He never got the girl or more than $6,800 as an artist. The song was to make the Top 40 twice later on by 2 other artists.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

#51 - Tin star (again). I'm not good when it comes to personal trivia but it only took a few minutes to research this one.

17. Oldies trivia guy

After the answer is posted, let me know how you started your research.

18. John B Good

What, so you can make future clues even harder to Fathom? :realmad:

;)

Manapua likes this.
  19. Oldies trivia guy

LOL....No, just curious.

20. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Me, too. I don't see any easy way to research this one.

Damiano54 likes this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

All shall be revealed! Heh, heh.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Tin Star on #51. I was also able to research the answer in a couple of minutes.

23. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION........

11/8/18

This former bellhop wrote this song to a girl he was wooing. He never got the girl or more than $6,800 as an artist. The song was to make the Top 40 twice later on by 2 other artists.

"Sea Of Love" / Phil Phillips with the Twilights
    Mercury Records #2 1959

John Baptiste was from Lake Charles, Louisiana and really wanted a relationship with Verdie Mae. He wrote this song to serenade her with and one day was overheard by his gas-meter reader who encouraged him to do something with the tune because he was "walking around with a million dollars in his hand". The gas man told him about a local producer named George Khoury who took him to Goldband recording studios where they worked on the song for a few days. Khoury suggested he make double use of his middle name and thus Phil Phillips was born. The regional hit was picked up by Mercury for national distribution. Phil and Verdie Mae never got together and he never got his million dollars. Over the years the song was done by Del Shannon #33 and the Honeydrippers #3.

NEW QUESTION........

11/9/18

This guy was hired by Don Kirshner as a songwriter and had 2 Top 10 Songs on the chart at the same time.

24. John B Good

I checked this old Forum thread, post 30 (lead to it by Googling), but didn't catch this one, perhaps because it didn't mention the Del Shannon version.

Songs that were hits more than once

Nice song anyways.

25. John B Good

I've got a guess on #52, but I can't say I know that 2 songs he wrote or co-wrote were in the Top 10 at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.