Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

New Star Wars and Marvel Series Announced for Disney+ Streaming Service - The Walt Disney Company

New Star Wars and Marvel Series Announced for Disney+ Streaming Service

The Walt Disney Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service will be called Disney+. Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed the service’s name today during a live audio webcast of Disney’s fiscal full year and fourth quarter 2018 financial results. Disney+ is scheduled to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.

Iger also announced that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+ that will go into production next year. The series will follow the adventures of Rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor, which he originated in the 2016 film. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.” The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series will be announced at a later date.

Disney+ is also assembling a live-action series centered around a fan-favorite character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iger today confirmed that Marvel Studios is developing a series based on Loki, the god of mischief, to star Tom Hiddleston.

The new projects join an impressive slate of films and series planned for Disney+ that includes new stories set in the worlds of Disney•Pixar’s Monsters Inc. and Disney Channel’s High School Musical, as well as a galaxy far, far away. Earlier this year, Lucasfilm revealed that Emmy®-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau will write and executive produce The Mandalorian for Disney+. The live-action series, which is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order, is currently in production with a lineup of directors that include Deborah Chow (Marvel’s Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates) and Taika Waititi (Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Bring on all the "Classic Disney" stuff that used to be on The Disney Channel back in the 80's and 90's. :)

3. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

So the Star Wars spin-offs are now getting their own spin-offs !?!

Barrel-scraping, much ???

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Sounds good to me. I’m in! But I’ve been in since rumors of a Star Wars live-action series on a new Disney streaming service started circulating.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They spent $4 billion to buy LucasFilm- they're going to be making Star Wars movies and TV shows until the end of time to recoup that cost and profit from the acquisition. Buckle in. :)

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they've already broken even on the Lucasfilm investment. The problem is this year's $71.3 billion dollar purchase of 20th Century-Fox, and that's gonna take awhile to pay for.

I wonder how many countless meetings, arguments, focus groups, ad agencies, and PowerPoint presentations they had to go through in order to come up with "Disney+"? I'd also like to see the 117 names they discarded in favor of this one.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I would have gone with "Disney YEAH!"

Or "Disney WOW!" That would be a good one.

"Disney RAD!" There are so many possibilities.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"Disney Sucks More Money" would've been my choice.

Dude111, krock2009, apesfan and 3 others like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mine would be Disney Meh. I'm probably in the minority here, but there's nothing much here that is attractive enough for me to want to sign up.

geo50000 and Dude111 like this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've often wondered why Disney didn't have their own franchise channel. Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and Disney proper make up a pretty hefty chunk of the Hollywood GDP.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

So what I'm wondering (and have been) is how this is going to work out long term. Of course Netflix did an exclusive deal with Disney back in 2012 and (presumably) it has been very lucrative for both sides. Now, some six years removed, Disney is taking their ball and going home. I just wonder will the subscribers follow?

While it's very nice to have these OTT services to choose from, there's something to be said for the convenience of your old fashioned cable provider and whatever streaming perks come from them. Shouldering the cost of the "big guns" (ABC/Disney, NBC/Universal, etc) with your fellow cable subscribers does have its privileges.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, I dunno. The entire 90-year library of 20th Century-Fox, plus 60 years of Fox TV, plus everything Disney ever did for TV and film, plus every Marvel feature & TV series (at least the ones owned or controlled by Marvel Studios or Fox), plus all the Pixar films, all the Lucasfilm properties, all the Muppet-produced films... that's a lotta stuff.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I do get it and I'm sure the service will be hugely popular, but I was just speaking for myself. None of the old Disney stuff matters to me and neither does the Marvel and Star Wars stuff. I've seen the first few SW films and was unimpressed to say the least. Comic book movies have no real appeal to me either, nor the Muppets (which I did enjoy in my youth).

The only category that does have some appeal is Pixar, but even there, not every film is a must see. So, that's just not enough to warrant a regular subscription. Again, that's just my personal preference. For my tastes, I find Netflix and Amazon far more valuable.

apesfan likes this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Welcome to the new Disney Vault. Only one Disney animated classic at a time, available for 3 months then going away until the cycle reaches that point in the chronology again. Fun for the whole family, year after excruciating year.

Bhob, Veltri, PhantomStranger and 2 others like this.
  16. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

Wonder if it going to show classics like "Old Yeller" and "Herbie the Love Bug?" That would be really neat-o.

Motorcity supernaut and Bhob like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oooh, I forgot about National Geographic, which is also part of this channel (and that one I didn't know about):

[​IMG]

Note this logo omits 20th Century-Fox, which is interesting. I would expect all of the Marvel Netflix TV shows to switch to the new Disney+ over the next year.

If it's streaming, then I would expect they'll have a large menu like Netflix or iTunes and basically everything in the library will be there. They have no incentive to keep certain titles off the service. The whole point is to give people access to a vast library 24 hours a day.

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Pretty sad that the article focuses more on Star Wars and Marvel stuff than actual Disney.

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Gonna be painful for some when they feel that Netflix license bye bye squeeze.

Disney's catalog is lush and there are going to be pulling the rug out pretty soon.

Smart move to whore out catalog to determine viable market then woo the ones that aren't in denial away.

Unlike some companies, Disney continues to have serious physical assets while not operating on a balooning debt.

Continuing success with the Marvel box office tends to do that. Fine fun films.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Disney Also"
    "Disney Some More"
    "Disney Also Some More"
    "Disney In Addition To"
    "The Late-Night Home of The Suite Life With Zack and Cody Marathon"
    "The Other Disney Channel That Won't Run Any Of The Good Classic Stuff"
    "The Only Way We Could Cram Hannah Montana Back Into The Vault"
    "Lassiter's Retirement Fund"
    ...and, I guess, 99 others...
    -oh, wait..."Prestige Ewok Theatre"...:idea:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but I imagine they A). Won't put it all up at once, and B). Will "cycle" through things so things will come and go every couple of months to change the lineup up.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

A Marvel TV show based around Loki .........now they can kill him every episode instead of every film ........... and have him alive and well for the next Ep.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

This should hopefully be the end to all the “vault” nonsense and finally mean complete access of all animated Disney films. Streaming is the end point of that model — rather than rebuying every 5 years, you’re rebuying every month lol.

I think this service makes a lot of sense, honestly I’ve never been a diehard fan of the core Disney IP, but what they’ve acquired in the past decade has something for everyone. The original shows sound solid, (I’m sold on Mandalorian by the directors roster) but I think they will have to get some streaming exclusive IP to make this work like Netflix and Hulu.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-1997 versions of the original Star Wars trilogy are released on Disney+ before being released on disc. Disney+ will be your one-stop Star Wars shop.

25. This streaming service is going to up-end Hollywood as we know it. Things are never going to be the same for entertainment consumers once Disney's service gains traction.

Buckle up, kiddies. This is going to change the entire business model for entertainment content companies. There will be winners and there will be losers.

BeatleJWOL and forthlin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.