The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I saw this today. Liberal dramatic licence and dodgy timeline abound but it's not a documentary. Rami Malek was excellent as Freddie, and Mike Myers was great as the EMI executive. Very enjoyable.
    The cinema staff that came in at the end of the movie was singing along with the music over the titles

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

After my wife and I saw it we were handed surveys to fill out. One of the questions was whether we would be interested in seeing it again as a sing along!

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

'Widows' based on an old UK TV show.
    Wasn't impressed!

4. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

5. Chris DeVoe

Just saw Hunter Killer. Not amazing, but a decent action film.

Karnak likes this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw The Hate U Give today. I loved it. Very intense, and I thought the actors who played Starr and Starr’s dad were outstanding

Holy Socks and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

I'm glad you dug it.

brownie61 likes this.
  8. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

I saw "The Hate U Give" this afternoon and really enoyed it also. One of the best movies of the year. :righton:

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

I saw a several amateur reviews that said it was similar to, and actually better than Hunt For Red October. But all the "real" critics seemed to hate it. I'm on the fence about seeing it.

10. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

What did you think of this? Reviews are not so great. I like the Nutracker music very much. Is it featured at all?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

It's a good submarine movie, and The Hunt for Red October was a great submarine movie. In my case I just wanted to watch a submarine movie.

Holy Socks likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I get the feeling some people aren't attracted to it because they figure it's going to be a Tyler Perry movie, and it's so much more than that. It got dumped in this period because the studio didn't really know what to do with it, but I hope it gets enough attention that it can survive until it starts getting nominated for awards.

There's another film that I've avoided mentioning because it also deals with racial issues but in a vastly more confrontational way called Bodied. Eminem is a producer on this one, and it deals with Battle Rap, although since 8 Mile the music has disappeared, and it's just two people verbally attacking each other with no beat. A white graduate student takes his girlfriend to a battle rap contest, as part of researching his thesis. He interviews a battle rapper and winds up engaged in one himself. It's frequently howlingly funny, and lampoons both sides how many issues - everyone's ox is gored.

(I'm still giggling over a line delivered by the lead character's English professor father that the best example of existential dread is any episode of the TV show Friends.)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    brownie61 likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Sounds very interesting. It’s not playing around here, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

That’s hilarious!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

Saving Private Ryan

Yep, been THAT long.

15. Gord D

Gord D Forum Resident

The recent Predator movie. Good but not great. Great action though. I love the franchise so I'll see any Predator movie at the theatre, no matter what the ratings.

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

A Star is Born. Lady Gaga is incredibly talented. She should receive an Oscar for her performance as an actress and her music in the film.

Bradley Cooper is an incredibly talented actor too and definitely should receive an Oscar. He happens to be a very talented musician and singer. Who knew?

BluesOvertookMe and brownie61 like this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

A Star is Born. Loved it!

18. Chris DeVoe

It was in the smallest auditorium at a 21-plex in Chicago, so it's not going to get very wide distribution.

The father is played by Anthony Michael Hall.

19. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

20. Chris DeVoe

Good film, but they had a hard time marketing it.

21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I wanted the film ALPHA to be more like it's trailer with a focus on the canine, but overall felt is was THE REVENANT with a sidekick. I still enjoyed it but didn't buy the ending.

22. Chris DeVoe

I thought it was more like Quest For Fire with dogs, and an invented language.

I can't remember who said it, but one commentator said that the reasons dogs are friendly to humans is that we ate all the unfriendly ones.

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I did go to see the movie earlier in the week see my my initial post here.

I did follow it up with this post.

And, a few comments here.

These are in the Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018 thread.

24. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Halloween (2018)

25. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

2001 in IMAX dome and wow was that uncomfortably loud. Wish I'd had my earplugs on me.