50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That info has only come from the DR database and there's no way of knowing if someone accidentally measured the DR of the mono mix rather than the remix. I live in hope though, wish they'd put the uncompressed master of the Pepper remix on the blu-ray, rather than the vinyl only.

tinnox, FJFP, Yovra and 1 other person like this.
  3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Hallelujah! Finally.

tinnox and alexpop like this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The whole thing becomes a 3D sound collage which John would have loved to hear, for sure. It's the one track from the album where a few liberties were taken in the remixing. It's not like it's a completely modern remix with dub step elements brought it, but there are a few sounds that have been tweaked with and which were not part of the original mix (like the crowd chants/protests at the end of the track to which some "tape" sounds have been added). The "Number 9" sound bite travels from one speaker to another, which is really cool. The mix retains most of it's original skeleton, but some elements have been made louder whilst others quieter. I won't make everyone happy, but I really enjoy it and it's a nice companion to the Stereo Mix, which I still love playing all the way through.

What can I say, you have to hear it to fully experience it. :D

You become... naked

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tim can hang up his like finger. :D

tinnox likes this.
  6. Happy White Album day everyone!
    Impressed so far, only a few tracks in mind but this already for me makes the 2009 Remaster null and void.

7. hidlive

hidlive made you look

gotta wait for the 75th anniversary, it'll have an extra 3 seconds and it's in 7.1 surround sound!

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Nice. What format are you listening to?

tinnox likes this.
  9. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Lots of focus on Kinfauns at the moment - this blog post is pretty fascinating.

IronWaffle and tinnox like this.
  10. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

That’s awesome, I’m happy that they really tried to make it special

ODIrony, tinnox and Simon A like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I shan't get mine at least for a few days, maybe or later even. So I'll be dripping mouth saliva in awe of your deliveriers today.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Straight to Revolution -take 18. Amazing.

Still wish they’d found space for take 20 as well though!

13. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I’m gonna attempt to isolate the overdubs from Take 20 using Take 18 to create a full stereo Take 20.

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I started with the sessions and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Great stuff. Really love the Helter Skelter, EGSTHEM&MM, Baby You're So Square, WMGGW, Good Night. It's all pretty darn good. I won't get to the remix or Esher until tomorrow. I did rip it and the session discs actually fit on two cds (if you want it).

tinnox likes this.
  15. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I am very, very impressed with the remix so far.

16. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

The only Esher mixes that seem to utilize more than two tracks are all George songs. Seems to lend credit to the theory that most of these songs weren't actually recorded at Kinfauns, but transferred to the mixing console.

NumberEight and tinnox like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Hey Jude take 1 is a burner, man. You can practically hear Paul bouncing up and down on the piano bench.

tinnox likes this.
  18. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

What a vocalist Paul was!
    That fast Helter Skelter take is brilliant.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Loving the Yer Blues outtake. Appears to be the final take but with the guide vocal throughout as heard in the last section of the master.

Paul's right in there with him screamin' it out. Also fun how John's not even bothering with the final lyrics most places.

George's guitar solo is missing the wild warbly ADT, too, and the smash cut is gone, replaced by a slow crash'n'burn ending. Looks like they dropped the beginning of the track in again for the master, sans vocal overdub.

TonyClifton63 and tinnox like this.
  20. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

“Helter Skelter” remix...cheeky bitch :love:

tinnox likes this.
  21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

For anyone playing along at home, here are the worthwhile outtakes:

04-08 - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Take 3)
    04-10 - Revolution (Take 14 Instrumental Backing Track)
    05-03 - Hey Jude (Take 1)
    05-05 - Not Guilty (Take 102)
    05-15 - Helter Skelter (Second Version Take 17)
    05-16 - Glass Onion (Take 10)
    06-09 - Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Take 19)
    06-11 - Savoy Truffle (Instrumental Backing Track)
    06-12 - Martha My Dear (Without Brass And Strings)

and one of the I'm So Tireds, but I'm Too Tired to listen to them again and determine which one.

22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It’s time to retire the original mono and stereo mixes. There’s a new sheriff in town.

23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I really appreciate how much of a fan Giles is of George's vocals, and that he made an effort to highlight them.

Off to listen to the whole thing now!

24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Thank you for mentioning that it’s not brickwalled and limited. People throw those terms around too easily.

25. johnbrode72

johnbrode72 Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've enjoyed this thread so much. As an 18 year old who doesn't live around people who normally have these conversations, it was great to find you all to discuss the music. Although I haven't made too many comments here, I check this thread several times a day to hear people's opinions. Although the set is available on spotify, I'm waiting until Christmas to listen to any of it. I'm hoping to receive the Super deluxe box then, and during a seven hour drive later that day, I've promised to experience it for the first time with my little brother who's also a huge fan. We plan on putting on two separate pairs of headphones and listening simultaneously. I just wanted to thank you all for all these conversations, from Schitzer's song by song reviews, to git vs. get, to the pronunciation of "Esher," it's been an extremely positive experience. Wish me luck in resisting this set until then! I'll still be here reading all your thoughts and opinions to keep me hyped. :winkgrin:

AndyNicks, Fishman2, milk731 and 45 others like this.