Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I think it's as good as much of the stuff on the actual album, better than some of it. It falls apart towards the end, there but definitely a high quality outtake. 3/5

Will Harris likes this.
  2. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

This song rocks - should have been put on the record instead of the "Beach Boys Medley". Too bad they didn't have time for a few more takes like they did for The Beatles tunes. A Strong 3/5! "I Can't Get No!"

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Satisfaction:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-3 votes
    4-0 vote
    5-0 vote

4. Wata

5. Lance LaSalle

"Blowin' in the Wind" was much better than "The Times They Are A-Changing." Al sounds fantastic and I love the guitar strums at the beginning. 4/5.

Hm. This is perhaps the album where the Beach Boys really started to create outtakes that were actually better than some of the songs they released.

pablo fanques, Will Harris and Wata like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Blow - it doesn't. 4/5

7. Will Harris

Those that are left of us dig the quality of the left overs. I'm in for a 4/5 for "blowin'"...

8. Wata

Your ratings for Blowin' in the Wind:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-3 votes
    5-0 vote

9. Wata

Today's song is The Little Girl I Once Knew:

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

An absolutely incredible, criminally overlooked slice of The Beach Boys' catalog. When I first discovered this in 1972 or so (on a cheapo Pickwick comp called Good Vibrations IIRC) I thought "why on earth wasn't this given higher profile anywhere?" It is a first rate production, first rate vocal, and provides the first hints since the high points of Today! and Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) of what was on tap to come just a few months later.

5/5

The MEZ, Will Harris, Rock66 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I have that compilation and rate the song 5/5. As someone noted earlier the silence made the song poison for heavy radio play since they don't like silence. But one of the Beach Boys classics.

The MEZ and oldsurferdude like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Little Girl - 5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

5/5 but I wish we had a stereo mix.

14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

TLGIOK 5/5

Finally back on the progressive track. Shoulda been included on Pet Sounds.

Only heard it a few times on AM radio back in the day, and I couldn't figure out why until many years later. Yet more evidence that Suits Ruin Everything.

This one leaves nothing to be desired. That walking bassline on the verse is spectacular.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Good to be back...Little Girl is great 5/5. The tension of the vocal melodies/arrangement against the chords in the chorus, the tight harmonies during the verses, I think it was a great song in the wrong time period - continually amazed at the vocal arrangements Brian did.

I disagree with the Pet Sounds thing...I don't think it would fit well on there as I've said before it's just too upbeat, though lyrically it isn't. Also lyrically it's still a wee bit boy/girl without the deeper introspectiveness of Pet Sounds lyrics...Pet Sounds/Adult, Little Girl/teenager , but having said that it's the absolute last bridge to cross before the fully realized adult-ness of Pet Sounds. It's the last and maybe the best of what began on Today up to Pet Sounds.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  16. Lance LaSalle

I put it on my Summah Days.

saborlord123, Wata and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Little Girl"

There's a reason why this record tanked. The "dead air" radio excuse is a cop out. The melodies are fine, but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. This song needed a lot of work from Mike Love or someone else with a good ear.

3/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  18. Will Harris

Oh, Carol - "She's Not the Little Girl I Once Knew". Just the right late Summer touch enough to call it a track that would have fit the Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) mood before Brian moved on. 5/5

Lance LaSalle and oldsurferdude like this.
  19. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

:wtf::faint::wtf: Uh, the song did not need Mike Love or anyone else to do anything to it. It was a Brian Wilson masterpiece. Yes, the stereo treatment would have been welcomed but the recording is incredibly dynamic even in the dreaded mono format. And Carl sounds fantastic. 5+++

20. Wata

The Little Girl I Once Knew - I don't particularly love it, but it's surely an often overlooked classic. It's one of the key tracks in order to figure out how Brian got to the height of Pet Sounds.

5/5

21. Wata

Your ratings for The Little Girl I Once Knew:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-0 vote
    5-10 votes

22. Wata

◎Pet Sounds(1966)
    1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
    2. You Still Believe in Me
    3. That's Not Me
    4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
    5. I'm Waiting for the Day
    6. Let's Go Away for Awhile
    7. Sloop John B
    8. God Only Knows
    9. I Know There's an Answer
    10. Here Today
    11. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
    12. Pet Sounds
    13. Caroline, No

[Non-Album Tracks]
    Trombone Dixie
    Three blind Mice

23. Wata

Today's song is Wouldn't It Be Nice:

24. Lance LaSalle

Monumental pop song with an amazing bridge and an incredible arrangment. Backing vocals stellar. Sound stellar. Drumming, ass-kicking.

5/5

25. Wata

Wouldn't It Be Nice - Again, not my big favorite, but an utterly perfect opener to this amazing album. 5/5

This is probably one of the most familiar songs of BB to the general public in Japan, thanks to its use in a recent movie, Girl in the Sunny Place.

They released an EP as one of the goods sold along with the movie. It's available on Spotify: Wouldn't It Be Nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.