How To Clean A Stylus w/t Isopropyl Alcohol & Distiller Water

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The manual for my Shure V15 Type III Manual’s says to clean the stylus with a solution of 50% ISO & 50% Distilled water.

What would I use to apply this solution?

I was thinking to cut a plastic cup with the solution and dunk the stylus in the solution. While being careful to not make contact with the actual cartridge.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Small stiff brush. Don't dunk your cartridge/stylus. Wet the brush, back to front motion on stylus. Buy yourself a 'jeweler's loupe' from Amazon for 6 bucks or whatever. 10X is probably enough so you can see what is going on.

snorker, timztunz, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This. The little Clearaudio stylus brush is what you need to do this right.

4. AcidPunk15

I have a Diskkeeper Stylus brush. I assume this will work. Will it damage my brush. I added distilled water to my carbon fiber anti stack brush and it damaged it. I don’t want to damage my diskkeeper brush.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

A diluted mixture of alcohol and pure water shouldn't damage a stylus brush. Those carbon fiber brushes are not meant to be used wet.
    Rinse the stylus brush with some additional pure water when you are done. Or brush it with a brush (like a fresh toothbrush). They are cheap enough that you can replace over time, but I've only used alcohol to clean a stylus in drastic situations, not as a regular cleaning agent.
    PS: I'm not sure that you need to use alcohol every time you brush. I dry brush the stylus after every side. I only go to more aggressive stylus cleaning (e.g., Magic Eraser or BluTak) after a long listening session. It may depend on whether and how well your records have been cleaned. If they aren't clean, you are probably going to collect more 'stuff' on your stylus.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. AcidPunk15

I do the same. thx for the clarification

7. AcidPunk15

How long will take for the stylus and brush to dry? An estimate?

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Give it a few minutes. The alcohol should evaporate. You don't need much. The brush may take longer to dry than the stylus, depending on how saturated it is.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  9. AcidPunk15

Should I clean my Cartridge Terminals with ISO as well is this safe/necessary

10. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I do a pretty good job of cleaning records before playing them, so the stylus rarely needs more than a quick dry brushing.

However, I recently picked up DS Audio's ST50 Phono Stylus Cleaner and I am highly impressed with how it works. I've used BluTak-like putty in the past, but the DS is something special. Really does a fantastic job (I've checked with a Loupe) and it is easy to clean back to like new condition.

[​IMG]

marcelbr, timztunz, Nephrodoc and 2 others like this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have never cleaned a cartridge's terminals. Really not necessary. Concentrate on keeping your records and stylus clean, and your good (imo).

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is there any benefit to using alcohol vs. the "most safe" methods of dry cleaning with onzow or just a dry brush?

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I do both.

My routine is usually, Onzow between sides. Brush at the end of the session. Sometimes the Onzow doesn't get it all.

Both the DS Audio and Extreme Phono look like copies of the Onzow but at different prices.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Downside- some styli, attached with "glue" could get loosened. See threads on Ortofon. Check before you use. That's why I only use alcohol sparingly and when in extremis, even though I don't run Ortofon cartridges.

Leonthepro likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Magic Eraser, light touch every few sides.

bru87tr and Rad Dudeski like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks both. I know about Ortofon. The reason that I am not using alcohol is that I own a few Ortofon models and I never also wanted to risk it with my other catridges either.
    I guess, I "ll stick with the onzow and a dry brush.

18. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

As mentioned above, glue + IPA = potential disaster! Really, their is absolutely no need to use fluids or any fancy overpriced gadgets to keep that precious little stone in tip top order. The enemy of styli is grit that abrades the stone in the groove so keep your records clean. Then simply wipe twice with a carbon pad brush the type that both Dynavector and Ortofon provides gratis after every 2 sides and you’ll get years more out of the cartridge. I’ve had my DRT XV-1t for over four years and when I examine it under a pro-scope there is only the slightest sign of wear and sounds as good as it’s ever done, it gets a LOT of daily use!
    Pear Audio in the U.K. recommend that should you get a build up the brush just can’t shift then apply a 50/50 dilution of Zymol car wash (they call it Bathe) to the pad. This is spirit free so harmless to the glue. As it happens I solely use Zymol car care products and when needed it works a treat.
    Simon

19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Was about to say this. I never dare to use fluids near my cart. Especially since my JNP-200 is solely attached by lots of glue.
    I also seem to hear people who have their styli fall off tended to use fluids to clean.

20. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Liquid used as a stylus cleaner can wick up the cantilever and affect the suspension.

Kyhl and bru87tr like this.
  21. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member

I picked the DS Audio ST50 up as well and am very happy with its performance and ease of use.

eflatminor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.