50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

How frustrating and annoying for you! I hope it resolves satisfactorily (and soon) for you! :righton:

culabula and tinnox like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Ah. Isn't that the point though, to sound loud. It's not a Steely Dan track.........

Jack, bherbert, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

It is, yes, but you should be able to crank it up without it all turning into a horrible mess :) This waveform is encouraging in that respect.

tinnox, formu_la and Bern like this.
  4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Did everyone catch Sir George Martin uttering the f-word to Paul after the Mother Nature's Son outtake? Paul just finishes a decent version, but certainly not THE take and asks up in the control what they think.n George says some of them are good, but on others h f-upped. In a nice way. Paul seems taken aback and asks if they are really listening and George says yes they are. Interesting dynamics, but nothing said in anger, perhaps a bit of frustration on Paul's part. Sir George is just being honest, but politely. Ron

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Great to see, but it would really be nice to see a music critic like this talk more about the sound quality as well. No doubt we already know what a masterpiece this amazing album is, so when a classic like this gets this kind of treatment, talk more about the sound quality experience, both on vinyl as well as CD, but hell, we got Mikey Fremer for that I guess...as well as the wonderful folks on this marvelous thread!

tinnox and ParloFax like this.
  6. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Funniest thing I've read all day (not for you though). At least someone will be happy with some freebie music.

culabula and tinnox like this.
  7. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Just finished listening the the LP1 songs. I've never (NEVER) heard the Beatles voices sound this good. Clear, delicate, searing, magical. And I'm only listening to Spotify (the Deluxe is coming from Amazon sometime today).

tinnox and Crack To The Egg like this.
  8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Can you look at the blu-ray disc and see if it's the same?

9. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Outstanding post! Both a non-fanboy & non-hater perspective. Very rational and levelheaded judgement. Wish more opinions were posted in this tenor around here. Thanks!

Laservampire, tinnox and Sean Roper like this.
  10. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

They had the esher demos playing at a second hand musicstore in cologne. "why don't we donit in the road" sounded great, julia a little off. But it was weird having Jon Speak in that store *g*

Nice to see it spreading this quickly.

+ Saturn (retail shop) had 5 copies of the super deluxe sset for 139€ right at the entrance with all other formats on a display.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  11. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

Yeah I wonder if that was intentional. They obviously chose to fade it in on the original mix. It doesn't sound terrible but I guess we're use to how it was originally presented.

12. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Generally the remix is fine but not great...one horror for me is Yer Blues...John's echo vocal which was never there before and it seems slower but isn't. They have obviously tried to make this album sound more modern, but I don't think it works that much though Birthday does now sound better....it just doesn't sound like the White Album I know and love.

Thankfully the remaster (2009 I think) is still on streaming and will be the one I will go to...plus my vinyl edition.

Also unrelated....do we know who plays that spanish guitar at the beginning of Bungalow Bill, didn't think John could play like that...I always thought it was stock music from a library or something.

tinnox likes this.
  13. Derek Slazenger

It's just a Mellotron tape. Nobody seems to know who played it originally.

14. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

so not really smashed then - for a track designed to be loud.
    The DR values have been published already, and we know this is a 9
    Perhaps the poster would like to post pretty pictures of the less loud tracks - although that might be just as lacking in illumination ;)

evilpants, tinnox and soniclovenoize like this.
  15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  16. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

In spite of all the criticism the Peppers50th got the vocals were awesome, lead, harmonies and background were just superb.
    But not much harmonizing and singing together on the White Album but I can't wait to hear the vocals.

17. Derek Slazenger

No I guess not. There is some clipping though. It doesn't sound like posting any more images like that would be illuminating for you, but they are to some.

tinnox and ParloFax like this.
  18. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Why don't we call it the "George's Psychedelic House in Surrey on a Lovely Thursday Afternoon Demos?"

19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Dr. Pepper, post: 19924021, member: 12998"]Walk toward the void that's labeled The Beatles![/QUOTE]
    And how do you do that?
    "Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream!" :D

20. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

I'm loving the little videos that play in the background on Spotify.

tinnox and drum_cas like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

There is echo on the mono mix.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Listening to the unedited Not Guilty it is very clear to me why it remained an outtake. And while i do not much care for what Geoff Emerick did on the sessions mixes this was the one where his edits made a presentable song out of something that wasn’t.

Long story short. By accident walked by a newly opened record store (a very very rare occurance in Denmark) and lo and behold, they had one super deluxe left. Bought it and canceled my amazon.de order which was not arriving before nov 22.

What a lovely set this is.

23. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I can't wait for my copy to show up today. Somehow, I've managed to not hear anything from this box as of yet. Judging from all the reviews that I've seen on here, I'm in for a real treat. Have a great day everyone, and happy listening!

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've only listened to a few tracks so far (I'm still in Dylan Blood On The Tracks mode, and probably will be for a while longer yet), but Not Guilty was one of the tracks I listened to and yeah, the vocals are weirdly quite far back in the mix. Particularly the opening line (it gets a bit better after that). It's the opposite of the Anthology mix, which had the vocals too out front! I like that we now get the full length version, but not sure about that mixing choice.

25. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

You just put me back 50 years.

I was 10 when the original LP was released, just after my birthday and a month before Christmas, so it was a "wait until Christmas" time for me back in 1968 and it was torture!

But on Christmas morning I had 30 new Beatles songs to digest with Apple labels, a poster, photos, the works.

The deluxe box and 4 lp box JUST got delivered and I'm toying with the idea of waiting until Christmas to open the LP's.

But... nahhh, ain't gonna happen. :)

Good for you to wait, and to share with your brother!

zipp, 905, The Band and 9 others like this.