New Rega Planar 3 sounds...OK

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

I just upgraded from a Audio Technica LP 120 to a Rega Planar 3 with Elys 2 Cartridge and I was honestly expecting a night and day sound quality difference. It really isnt much, especially considering the large price tag. The Rega has a darker overall sound than the Audio Technica. Sometimes even a little distorted. I don't know if its how its set up or if there is an issue with it?

I am using a Yamaha RS202 Stereo Receiver, Cambridge Audio MM Preamp and Advent Baby II Speakers. I set my tracking force to 1.5 after having it at 1.75 originally because I read online that is the better option. Any advice from anyone?

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Get a digital scale to make sure the VTF is correct. I would never set it lower or higher than the manufacturers recommended settings. The Exact 2 I used to have didn’t sound right until it was at exactly 1.75 grams for example. Once locked it, it was quite good. Also, make sure your turntable is perfectly level.

displayname and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  3. Pretty.Odd.

I have one and just made it precisely 1.75 and its better. Thank you. I think my main issue is I have my speakers right next to my turntable on one cabinet. About 3 feet in between the two speakers with the turntable in the middle. I'm in a small bedroom in an apartment and dont have any other space. But I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes in the sound

jon9091 likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You might have some issues with your Rega. I should sound distinctly better than your AT LP-120. I can't comment on the Elys 2. I do have the Exact on a RP6 and the RPG with its upgrades, is avery nice sounding TT and cart. Your new P3 should, as well.

Audio Technica TT's and carts tend to sound on the bright side, so expect other TT's and their carts to sound somewhat darker.

Helom and Fishoutofwater like this.
  5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

There should not be any distortion definitely check your setup, or have your dealer check it if you have one. I will say however I had, quite a few years ago, a Planar 3 with an AT 440-ml cartridge and didn't care for it at all. Ditched it after maybe 6 months, haven't had a TT since but saving up for one next year. Obviously just my experience as with all things YMMV.

6. Pretty.Odd.

I reset my VTF using a digital scale and made sure my receiver was not dusty and it is definitely better. I think my main issue is my speakers being too close to my turntable, but I am not aware if that makes such a difference? Can anyone comment on that.

I also might just not be used to having a darker sounding turntable after having my AT for close to 7 years and using it every single day. They are just extremely different sounding. The stereo separation on the Rega is INFINITELY better. I definitely want to upgrade the Elys at some point though.

Aftermath likes this.
  7. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I owned a Rega p3, never liked it, the distorted sound you are experiencing, was the same on mine with the elys, and the dull sound I think is a characteristic required by Rega to diminish high frequencies in order to veil distortions.
    I finally gave it away and got myself a Marantz tt15-s1 a very much better turntable, which doesn't produce any distortions all along the entire lp.
    Not to mention the hum produced by the motor on Rega as the cartridge approaches the center of the record.
    Give it back and get yourself a Pro-ject experience, a much better table for nearly the same price as Rega.
    I really can't understand all this hype around Rega turntables...

Record Fan, VinylSoul and delmonaco like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't have one, nor have I heard one, but I never read about anyone singing praises for the Elys 2 Cartridge?

Any comments on the Elys 2 out there?

BayouTiger likes this.
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Better TTs are around the price of a VPI Scout. A vintage Denpn DP-60L will way outperform the Rega Planar 3 and some say the VPI Scout. But, maintenance and electronic board capacitor replacement is needed for reliability regarding the Denon.

10. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I used the Elys 2 for a couple years on my P3-24. It's a solid performer for a stock cart even though there is better to be had. I would not describe its sound as dark or dull though.

Along with leveling suggestion above, try playing with the anti-skate, make sure that is dialed in. I never had a problem with it on my P3-24, but I did have distortion problems on a P2 while I briefly had it, and the anti-skate was very sensitive, especially if it was even a tiny bit unlevel.

Also if you bought from a local dealer, take it in and play it side by side with a P1 or P2. You should be able to hear a difference in noise reduction and detail retrieval. If you can't then it's time to consider another make of TT.

11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Are your speakers in good condition? I had pair of those 30 years ago when I was in college. The foam surround have likely rotted out. If the foam isn't soft, you can replace the surround for $25 from Simply Speakers.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Once you get this sorted out the P3 should be a solid foundation for higher level cartridges in the future. Also a groovetracer subplatter is an excellent upgrade for down the road.

It is also a table that will keep up as you upgrade speakers etc.

13. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Your speakers are way too close to your turntable. The louder you listen, the worse it will get. Once you come up with a way to move them and hopefully have them on a different piece of furniture than the turntable, you'll be happier. You made a good decision, you bought a very nice turntable and cartridge and when you move the speakers you'll be very happy.

14. The problem is NOT the TT. It is the cart. I loathed the Elyse. I Love my current cart on the same TT. The P3 is superb. The cart is not imo

Dr. J., ejman and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

When I heard the P3 it was with an Ania and optional power supply. It did sound very good for the price. In fact the opposite of dark. Would suggest a different cartridge (maybe an AT). You may need to use spacers with non Rega cartridges (under the arm pillar). Also pay some attention to TT isolation.

KT88 and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agree with what everyone has said. I would start by talking to your dealer.

If you can't sort out the Elys, an Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze would be a great cart for your P3. You would need a 2 mm spacer under the tonearm base. Trading in or selling the Elys will defray some of the cost. The Rega Exact 2 would be excellent but is more $$$.

SandAndGlass and Fishoutofwater like this.
  17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I'm not sure you could find a worse location for that P3 if you tried. Can you somehow get an Ikea Lack table in your room? I have owned 2 new Regas since getting back into vinyl and it took some work, but I was getting pretty good sound from my P3. Dont worry about the cartridge until you can work on table isolation.

Old Rusty, Pythonman and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  18. I never disliked a cart as much as the Elyse 2. I nearly gave up on LPs because of it!! Love my current cart.

SandAndGlass and ejman like this.
  19. Pretty.Odd.

Yeah, I will figure something out. A small table will do the trick

20. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

I got my Planar 3 with an Ortofon Bronze. My guy did shim the tonearm up 2mm. The sound is not spectacular, but it is pretty good. I still miss my old Technics and realized I am partial to direct drive.... no plans any time soon, except maybe a new cartridge and resurrect my old Technics

luckybaer and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Pretty.Odd.

Can anyone recommend good speaker stands for these Advents? They are 11 inches wide and 6 inches deep

22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Get the Lack. 10 bucks and works great with Rega. Couple other cheap tricks that will really make that Rega sing, but you need that table first.

23. Pretty.Odd.

I think i might leave the turntable where it is and move the speakers away from it. Looking at speaker stands for my Advents

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If it is a heavy piece of furniture, you still need to put something under the table. Heavy furniture kill a Rega. Less than 50 bucks. Ping me after you get your speakers moved. Check out Audio Advisor for stands, they have some for about 100 dollars that should work for you. You dont need Sound Anchors for small Advents. -

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It should be. You may limited by your phono preamp. I have had many wonderful sounding systems with 2m Bronze cartidges on Rega tables here.
    -Bill

Stone Turntable and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.