Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My copy arrived a moment ago. Not played it yet, but suffice to say it looks wonderful. I'm going to do some Richard Thompson first, but then I'll give it a spin. Can't thank all involved enough for this, of all the Tull titles, I'd of thought this was the least likely to get this treatment - yet here it is. Love the album, and expect to love this.

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How's the flat transfer of the original stereo mix?

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh man, Ultimate Confusion is such a great way to end CD 1. :)

First play through, and it all sounds natural and flowing. There is some hard panned vocals, but that seems to have always been there in stereo.

The previously unissued recordings are works in progress type stuff, and is much appreciated. Marvellous, and I'm only one disc in!

4. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Wow, my bootleg Stand Up set has the DVD. I was amazed at how light it was, and then I realized it had no book and was really cheaply put together. I was amazed anyone would bother to bootleg these sets.

granata likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Cut out of work half a day early and picked up the This Was set at my local Bull Moose. I just unwrapped it and thumbed through some of the book. It looks like yet another winner. I had no idea that so many of these Tull box sets were already OOP. Some of them are commanding lots of money on Discogs now. The Bull Moose store in Keene, NH had two copies of Heavy Horses and one copy of Too Old to Rock N Roll.

I'm sure this has been answered already and I apologize for asking but...do I have any need to keep the 2 CD Peter Mew mastered version? I have to admit, I thought he did a pretty good job on that one.

bobcat, Runicen and highway like this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

This is probably why I chose not to purchase this one. And it would be the first one I didn't. Maybe, someone can tell me why I should?

By the way, love your avatar. He used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid..........Dark Shadows of course.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  7. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Anyone looking for a good price for this set, Base are selling it at £29.99 with free UK delivery. It's out of stock but awaiting delivery from their supplies if you can wait?

phil1db likes this.
  8. I forgot to cancel my Amazon.uk order and it shipped today so I'll have an extra copy to sell at cost.

9. I was like you. I didn't want to get this because I thought how good can a 4.1 mix be from a 4 track recording? And I too had the 2 disk set. I broke down and ordered it because I want a complete set of these Tull box sets and there are a couple of songs added that were not included in the 2 disk set and the book I'm sure will be superior to what was included in the 2 disk set.

Todd W. and tinnox like this.
  10. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

I ordered before that message popped up -my order is pending so unsure if I manged to get one

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Surround sound. Couple unreleased tracks. A wonderful book. And if you change your mind in the future it'll probably cost you twice as much. :)

phil1db likes this.
  12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just finished listened to surround. Man, did SW had fun or what? Lots of panning around...:goodie: And stereo is great, just great. I am not chart and measurement guy, but to my ears no clipping and compression is very natural..

13. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

Got mine today. Burning Shed UK. Better packaging than Amazon. Never any trouble. Great Box set. Best it's ever sounded. Tull have certainly raised the bar with this series. And I got a signed postcard.

Mirsset and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  14. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I should have ordered this from Bullmoose, as my Amazon USA order was moved to next week. Oh well, I’ve got the surround mixes of Electric Ladyland and White Album to tide me over.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Mine, too...picking this up at my local indie on the way home this evening!

16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I just finished it and I liked it too. I really like the sound of the kick drum during "Serenade to a Cuckoo". I kept turning it up. As you said, it's very natural sounding. Not like the ****show that appears to be on the Hendrix 50th anniversary set (which I haven't heard yet).

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Any word on the vinyl ? Seems strange that a new pressing of Aqualung should be coming first.

18. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Because it is the same LP as in 2011, just repress...

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I realise that. It’s still odd, when it’s so easy to pick up anyway and yet there has been no mention of 'This Was' on vinyl.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did this as well! I planned on buying it from Bull Moose then got the email from Amazon.uk yesterday. But didn't get down to Bull Moose so I don't have two copies.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Arrived this morning :edthumbs::cheers:

Acoustic Warrior and eelkiller like this.
  22. The book is, as usual, exceptional. Tull fans are a lucky bunch. Quite the contrast to the disappointment surrounding the Electric Ladyland deluxe box issued today.

Galeans and Old Zorki II like this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The booklet is cool, because Ian hasn't exactly been forthcoming on this era. Even in the previous CD's things have been a little sketchy. I always got the impression that he'd rather be talking/writing about something else. So it's good to see the information in this booklet (feels like I'm downplaying it by calling it a "booklet", these really are "books".)

I bloody LOVE this album!!

Jimijam, Galeans, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Really looking forward to this release. The basic recording always sounded like there was plenty of room for really excellent sound, unlike Benefit or Aqualung, which have been improved, but will never have really terrific sound.

25. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Mine came it today, but . . . the autographed postcard was damp! So bizarre. :confused:

It was shink-wrapped and the box is fine. But the card? Damp. Crazy weird.

anth67 likes this.