What is your worst concert experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

I haven't been to the Cape in years. Traffic, you know. (just kidding)

Couldn't tell you about the physical building, it became warehousing; which kind of figures.

I go to beaches in Rhode Island, Scarborough or Misquamicut. Out of the Cape loop.

MisterNines likes this.
  2. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

Forgot about this one. Saw Jethro Tull at the Los Angeles Forum during the early 70s. Worst seats I've ever had, way up nose bleed section adjacent to the stage. Sounded like listening to the band through a cheap radio being playing on the stage. Worst sound system that I've ever head before or since. Was by far the worst I've ever head a band sound but can't really blame it on the band.

3. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I still hit the Melody Tent almost every summer; actually plan my trip timing around who's playing there!

Fewer and fewer artists I love are making it out these days. The last we saw at the Melody Tent was Gregg Allman.

4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I had a very good experience at Jack's Portland, OR show this summer. He played a full show, and seemed happy to be there. I may be biased as I met him backstage, though. Seemed like a nice guy, too.

5. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Led Zepplin in the early 70’s In Sydney
    From memory a 20 minute drum solo
    Hid under the grandstand
    Never listened to Led Zepplin since

ScaryMercedes likes this.
  6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I went with two friends to see Foghat at their peak. The show was about an hour drive away. Foolishly, we took some windowpane as we started driving. When we got there I was paralyzed with paranoia as I looked at the line of people outside writhing and coiling like an evil serpent. We tried to join the line but each time we stepped out of the car we collapsed under the paranoia and jumped back in. We just stayed in the car and tripped all night. I was really disappointed the next day.

7. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Actually it became a distribution center/warehouse for The Christmas Tree Shops retail chain. Odd location for a DC........

MisterNines and uzn007 like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

DC = "Distribution center"? Seems like it makes sense as a location. The Christmas Tree Shops company was (is?) based in Hyannis, and that's the most "industrialized" part of the Cape. If a spot like that opens up in your backyard, you're gonna take it. It doesn't seem like there was a long line of potential buyers looking to keep it alive as an entertainment venue.

MisterNines likes this.
  9. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I didn't realize that was where they are based. That makes sense. All I know is the 1983 Ramones/B-52's show I saw at the CCC was a hot sweaty mess, that left me beat up, deaf as post, and yet completely satisfied

10. Mtlennox

Mtlennox Well-Known Member

I saw Hollywood Undead in Baltimore at Rams Head Live. The drummer I guess got too excited and threw his drum stick and knocked some of the lighting out for the stage. Then some guys in the bathroom made the smoke alarm go off in the building and it all just went down hill from there.

11. GK

GK Forum Resident

Any Metropol show on a Friday night sucked. They enforced a 10 or 11 pm "curfew" to allow the club crowd in. Paul Westerberg threw his guitar at the club employee at the side of the stage when they pulled the plug...and Fishbone incredulous at having their set ended after an hour or so. My friend got beaten up by security after Rancid's short Friday night show for trying to find his eyeglasses. We were moved to the door like cattle!

mtvgeneration likes this.
  12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Syracuse was the insult.

linclink likes this.
  13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

In the 70's it was against the law for rock bands NOT to do drum solos. You're missing out on a great catalogue of music because of a drum solo.

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Charlie Watts is above the law!

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

In the 70s it was a musician's union requirement for every band to have a drum solo in its stage act, and every major touring band was required to have a gong on stage at all times.

16. Ha! Touche/bullseye

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  17. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Wow, I wish my worst concert experience was a 20 minute John Bonham solo!

18. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Not for me
    Silly music to me
    What I learnt at that concert was how much I liked “short sharp rock n roll” songs
    Praise the Lord for The New York Dolls Elvis Costello The Clash The Beatles The Stones The Kinks who I’m sure all had their share of extended solos
    A lot of that concert I spent hiding under the grandstand
    I certainly never bought another Led Zepplin record

Hammerpeg and uzn007 like this.
  19. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

David Bowie Giants Stadium 1986 dude behind me puked his guts out during Squeeze twice; place stank to hell the rest of the show; Near riot at Deep Purple Brendan Byrne Arena in 85 when Blackmore stormed off during Woman From Tokyo and the band didn’t do an encore and never played Smoke on the Water; honorable mention, Grateful Dead Giants Stadium 1992, lost my keys in the lot; I told the security guard I was going to get the keys from my dad right on the other side of the turnstile and he said “fine with me” but then he wouldn’t let me back in and said “I didn’t say I’d let you back in”.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Duran Duran 1984, Morgantown West Virginia.
    I was 14.
    I dropped a 10 dollar bill in the T shirt line and when I picked it up some guy had his hand out for me to give it to him with a smile on his face.
    I thought he was joking so I just kinda laughed.
    Then he said give me my 10 bucks.
    I said it's mine I just dropped it.
    He said no it's not it's mine give it to me. I said no it's mine.
    He turned to his bigger friend and said this kid won't give me my 10 dollars I dropped.
    I said no it's mine I just dropped it.
    His friend said to him Kick his a$$.
    Meanwhile, my friend standing in front of me looked back once at everything that was going on and just ignores the whole thing and kept moving forward in the line.
    Finally, the guy grabs my shirt and says give me my F...in money so I said okay here take it.
    When I got back to our seats I counted what cash I had left and ya know what? It really was that guy's 10 bucks.
    He must have dropped it and it fell towards my feet just as I was looking down and counting my money for me to think I dropped it.
    He must have thought I was a real jerk 14 year old lol.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He shoulda kicked your ass! :laugh:

22. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol I was lucky

squittolo and Oatsdad like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

After buying your ticket what were you expecting of their music?

24. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Great British Music Show - New Years Day 1976 Olympia, London -
    John Miles, SNAFU, Jack The Lad, Baker Gurvitz, Procol Harum, Barclay James Harvest

I was 14 and fortunately I had won the tickets on Capital but this was a really dispiriting start to a new musical year. Things got worse in 1976 before they got better (not least the misery in May of the Stones fighting the acoustics and their own boredom at Earls Court) but fortunately change was coming.

davers likes this.
  25. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Finneytown. I remember that place when I was a kid. Cross County destroyed it.

I was 4 in 1979.

uzn007 likes this.