Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

New fake Oppos from China?? I’m not saying, just saying...

2. No.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Last shipments were expected in UK around July so any left are kept back or a warehouse find. Would be difficult to fake these players.

Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  4. Matt Richardson

RiRiIII likes this.
  5. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I said this (using different words) in the other Oppo thread and was argued with. Anyone reading this should not listen to anyone else but their own ears. Room EQs ruin the SQ for me - period. I've had my Anthem AVM60 for over a week now. Been listening to a lot of MCH music and toggling the room EQ on and off just to make sure I wasn't under a spell. The Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is said to be a pretty good room EQ. It's one of the reasons I chose Anthem over Marantz (I had a Marantz AV7005 for over 6 years too). It's not just about frequency response. They do something whacky to phasing and the dynamics get squished. That is far more important to me than a little more thump from my room's Schroeder frequency. Oh, all of this is my humble opinion.

Matt Richardson and jhm like this.
  6. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

If only it was Roon Ready, I’d be all over this player.

7. The reviews are saying it’s not that great a player, with pretty limited features and lightweight build quality in a nice box to justify a higher price tag.

8. I wouldn’t.

9. Matt Richardson

Can you point me to one of these reviews? The only one I've read is the "from vinyl to plastic review" that did state it uses a heavier box but I didn't see anything about cheap components.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you have links to any of the LX500 reviews? Thanks!

11. Here is one that is pretty cold on the LX500:

Pioneer UDP-LX500 & UDP-LX800 4K UHD Blu-ray Players-First Look - From Vinyl To Plastic

The LX500 sure has a lot of vacant space compared to the Oppos, especially considering the $999 price. I know that “vacant space” does not indicate good or bad audio or video quality, but it does point to a lower BOM which leaves me scratching my head at the $999 price tag, more than double the 203 and very close to the 205.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. Matt Richardson

13. Versus what you got from Oppo for half the price:

[​IMG]

The Beave likes this.
  14. Yeah, there are a lot of video reviews on YouTube that I have been watching.

I didn’t see that review in your post above. I must not have looked at it very closely. Sorry! :hide:

15. And vs. what you got from Oppo for about the same price:

[​IMG]

The Beave likes this.
  16. Matt Richardson

Which board in there is for the processor?

17. I didn’t say cheap components, I said lightweight build quality.

The Beave likes this.
  18. Which processor? The SOC, the DAC, or the video processor?

The big chip labeled “Oppo” is the Mediatek SOC. I assume the chips surrounding it I are flash memory and other video functions including HDMI. The small chip on the thin board behind the transport osbrhe AKM DAC.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

scobb likes this.
  20. Matt Richardson

Surround. That’s what I don’t need.

21. Matt Richardson

Can you point me to some of these YouTube reviews? I saw one from techno dad and he seemed to like it.

22. Now I see what happened—I didn’t see your post at all before I wrote mine. I was responding to Bill’s post, not yours—my fault.

23. On the 203, surround and two channel are handled by the same DAC. That would be the small chip behind the transport. So, there is no additional decoding hardware for the surround channels. There would be some opamps, caps, and resistors associated with the additional channels, but these are not complicated output stages.

24. Matt Richardson

That amp, caps and additional resistors are the stuff I don’t want. As I wrote before this Pioneer should do everything I require.

25. Yeah, he said he is saving his full review for later.

My point is that the BOM on the LX500 does not appear to justify the $999 price tag, nor does the feature set.