Concerts you went to for the opening act, not the headliner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jparis51, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Rainbow opening for REO Speedwagon in 1978
    Rainbow opening for Pat Travers in 1981

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Sorry, didn't even realize that happened in 2016!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen opening for Anne Murray, Schaefer Music Festival, Central Park, NYC, Aug 8, 1974. First time I'd seen him.

Robert Christgau’s Voice review of the evening (which began, ‘The evening was professional at both ends and inspired in the middle’) would also report, ‘But it was Springsteen’s night, probably the biggest of his life, a standing ovation from a full house of 5,000,’ and that at least a quarter of the audience had left by the time Anne Murray took the stage. This would be the last time Bruce Springsteen ever opened for another artist (with the exception of multi-artist benefit shows).”

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Saw that bill twice in the US....3 great bands :)

seed_drill likes this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Journey opening for Deep Purple
    Cheap Trick opening for The Angels
    Cheap Trick opening for Def Leppard
    Scorpions opening for Def Leppard
    Heart opening for Def Leppard
    Bret Michaels opening for Motley Crue

6. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I thought of another — Thin Lizzy opening for Queen in 1976. I wanted to see both, but was more of a Thin Lizzy fan.

7. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Ohh...it was!

seacliffe301 likes this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I went to this at MSG but it was cancelled last minute. Ended up seeing the Cult at the Felt Forum a few months later.

Efus likes this.
  9. MungoMusic

MungoMusic Forum Resident

ProjeKct Six (Fripp/Belew) opening up for Porcupine Tree in Philly in 2006. I was pleasantly surprised by the headliner and became a fan.

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Replacements opening for Elvis Costello - he was good but went for them

Soul Asylum opening for Keith Richards - ditto

Lunachicks opening for GWAR - ditto again

The Black Crowes opening for Junkyard - left before Junkyard

11. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

(tangent) Speaking of Heart - I missed seeing J Geils playing in 1980, opening for Heart and The Who, because of traffic. I was there mostly to to see The Who but would have loved to see J Geils even if in a stadium.

seed_drill likes this.
  12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

And speaking of Cheap Trick (and Heart again), a few years ago I saw Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, and Heart. Love Joan Jett and Heart but Cheap Trick, the opener, was the clincher in me going to that middle age fest.

13. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Def Leppard, Scorpions, Ted Nugent @ The Arena in Milwaukee 1980. My friends and I were huge into NWOBHM type bands back then and Def Leppard is what brought us to this show for the tour of their first album.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Went to see Utopia, who were opening for The Tubes. I was more the Utopia fan, but loved Completion Backwards Principle and so was quite annoyed when all my companions decided to skip and head home early. Jeez guys, it wasn't even late. I shoulda bitched more!

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey my friend was one of their roadies! First job when she ran away from home at 16, inspired by her first concert where Ted Nugent came swinging in wearing a loincloth. I love her, but she's crazy!

16. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I went to see Iron Maiden when they opened for 38 Special on one of Bruce's first shows in the U.S.

June 8, 1982, Columbus, Georgia · Municipal Auditorium

17. I may have mentioned this but Steve Forbert who opened (for of all people) Kenny Loggins. Kenny was great too but Steve was awesome. He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

jimbo3688 likes this.
  18. Recently--

last year I missed Robyn Hitchcock when he was in town and he, later, he came back and was opening for the Psychedelic Furs (a band I like a lot BUT I like Robyn MORE). I went for Robyn and stayed for the Furs. Robyn ruled the day.

reverberationmusic likes this.
  19. reverberationmusic

reverberationmusic Forum Resident

Garbage opening for Smashing Pumpkins in 1996

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I totally forgot about this one, and I'm not sure I can explain it well. But, sometime in the early 1990s I bought tickets to see a traveling BB King blues festival. I can't remember all of the acts, but Dr. John was one for sure, I'm pretty sure The Fabulous Thunderbirds were involved, and BB was the headliner. All well and good. But sometime between purchasing the tickets and the actual show, the festival merged with a Joe Cocker tour. So, the whole festival I wanted to see was now the opener for Joe Cocker, and I did not care to see him at all. Still we went, had front row seats, checked out a few songs from Cocker, and then beat the traffic out. I guess we witnessed a shortened BB King set though.

21. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

I think I might have the best and weirdest:

Warren Zevon, opening for Eddie Money
    Connecticut c. 1990 ish

22. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Robert Plant 1988
    Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Joe Cocker. 1990 Actually at this show I thought Stevie Ray was the headliner. Got there late and missed most of his set! Joe Cocker was great though on the night.
    Robin Trower for Peter Frampton 1994
    Hot Tuna For George Thorogood. 1995 I actually left after Hot Tuna for this one.
    Deep Purple For Lynyrd Skynyrd 2001

23. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I saw the J. Geils Band open for Bob Seger a couple years ago here in Atlanta. I love Seger and saw him a couple years earlier. I wasn't going to go but when I saw J. Geils opening I had to go. I couldn't pass up seeing the band after all these years. They played a great 50 min set.

cgw likes this.
  24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I did exactly the same thing.
    Saw Seger with Joe Walsh. He came again a couple years later. I would not have gone but J Geils was opening and I couldn't pass it up. He (Seger) has been nearby since (and is coming again soon) but the back up band is not a good enough incentive. The first show I went to see Seger. Walsh was a bonus. The second show I went to see J Geils and Seger was the bonus.

maclen likes this.
  25. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Here is the video I did of the last 10 minutes of their show. I wish they could have played longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.