Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I find it humorously ironic that maybe my single favorite track from the box Lonesome Take 5 would have never seen the light of day if not for a safety mono reel.

highway likes this.
  2. Whiskeytown86

Whiskeytown86 Well-Known Member

Finally got my LP copy last night. Listening to it now. By the time if you see her comes on its already too much. I haven’t finished the complete collection but it’s perfect. Absolutely perfect. LP 1 is also dead quiet and flat.

3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

If Lonesome [Take 6] is a the mono reel (which it is) why do we hear Phil rewinding the tape after Bob asks him to roll back? Wouldn't you only hear the rewind on the multi's?

4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the mellower, even more relaxed vibe of the TUIB version that plays over this ad for the box set. The one chosen for the album (w bass) is fine, but this one is warmer to my ears, Anyone know which version it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BlQH7I5JME

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Phil is rewinding the multi-track (which will soon result in the recent takes being "rolled over"), which is why they only exist on the mono reference tape.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Minneapolis sessions suggest a stronger desire to create tracks that peak at the end, giving a sense that the track is complete, the narrative finished. The way he stretches the last “blue-ue-ue” in Tangled Up in Blue” or how he sings “most - of - all, she was thinkin about the Jack of Hearts.

In a sense, it’s more commercial, giving the songs (and the album) certain conventional musical peaks and pauses. Whether it’s better than the original from an artistic standpoint is a tough call.

streetlegal, Wright and MRamble like this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Oh right, that makes sense. The mono reel is recording the sound of the multis being rolled back

RayS likes this.
  8. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

well indirectly, there at least one song about E Bernstein. Some songs may be about other women besides his wife, but that can be true of Planet Waves or any other album.

9. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I think I've answered my question: After listing through samples, I think it's (Take 3, Remake 3).

highway and RayS like this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

they may but they may not. i dont think Dylan had a divorce in mind.

11. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Very happy to now have four versions of this album to listen to.

I had the original release and a digital copy of the NY test pressing.

Now I also have the single CD release, a sort of NY solo version of the LP.

I also bought individual tracks from iTunes to assemble takes not present on any of the above (plus one track from BS 1-3).

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I lean towards this theory. As a corollary, I also suggest perhaps he didn't intentionally cut a verse from the song when re-recording it in Minnesota but didn't want to tempt fate by attempting to achieve another (ALMOST!) complete take.

This is in contrast to the lost verses of "Meet Me In The Morning" and "Shelter From The Storm" which are clearly intentional.

RayS likes this.
  13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I was listening to this song the other day in the car - it's a tune which NEVER grabbed me in the original BOTT Minneapolis version (too "samey" arrangement to sustain a lengthy band version and Bob's voice never jumped out at me) but, listening to Take 2 properly, I had the exact same thought!

Whether an appropriate idea or not, spending some time with this tune in its orignial acoustic configuration, it's made me love it at last - the story comes through beautifully in solo guise and all of the humour in the way it builds (e.g. the way he builds in the repeated references to the drilling, almost as an aside) just knocked me out, finally.

It's still a bit of an odd man out, in terms of the rest of the album, but welcome to me at last.

14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

For those keeping track of such things, Dylan changes the key of 3 songs during the NY Sessions:

If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 1) – solo Key of D
    If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 2) Key of E
    If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 1, Remake) Key of E

You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Rehearsal and Take 1) – Key of E
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2) – Key of E
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 3) – Key of E
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 4) – Key of E
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 5) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 6) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 6, Remake) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 7) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 8) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 1, Remake) – Key of G
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 1, Remake 2) – Key of E
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2, Remake 2) – Key of E

Call Letter Blues (Take 1) – Key of E
    Call Letter Blues (Take 2) – Key of E
    Call Letter Blues (Rehearsal) – Key of G

There are a bunch of reasons you could say Lonesome went through the most changes of any song during the session. He changes the key; changes the arrangement multiple times; tries the song with bass, bass & piano, and full band; and even finger picks the intro to Take 8

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've been thinking about Lily, Rosemary, and The Jack Of Hearts (and Tweeter, Jan, and the Monkey Man ;) )

Is Rosemary truly Big Jim's wife? We know she's "done a lot of bad things" and are given the impression that she is perhaps unstable mentally. She arrives separately. Big Jim ignores her. And... "she plays the role of Big Jim's wife." Is this possibly her delusion? I think it's at least something to consider. Dylan plays the role of the unreliable narrator, so it's hard to know what to latch onto sometimes!

sassi, Dflow, DeeThomaz and 2 others like this.
  16. RayS

My two cents:

She is most definitely Big Jim's wife. She "plays the role" because their marriage is dysfunctional and loveless, as all Big Jim's attention is reserved for his mistress, Lily.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I mean, that's the far more obvious and likely meaning. I was just going for a more lateral interpretation.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Maybe Rosemary has been "playing the role" as part of the long con/bank heist?
    Again - I'm not paying any attention to the full narrative of the song. Like Tangled, roles and perspectives are pretty fluid on this album. Non-linear story telling.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And yet, curiously, Dylan doesn’t initially seem to have been happy with four of the takes that made it on to the test pressing (Meet Me In The Morning, You’re A Big Girl Now, Buckets Of Rain, Tangled Up In Blue), as his attempts to record subsequent takes testify to.

RayS likes this.
  20. RayS

I hate to sound like an English teacher, but your interpretation is not supported by the text. :)

Apart from the Jack of Hearts existing as both a physical character and a representation of luck/fate/love, I think the narrative is actually pretty clear and straight forward.

21. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Relatively speaking, yes, but the the real question is what this yarn is doing on the album.

Tim

22. RayS

Hmmm, a story about a love square with a rich and famous husband, his younger mistress, his emotionally-estranged wife and “some other man”. Ya got me. :)

enro99, slane, frightwigwam and 4 others like this.
  23. RayS

If you wanted to argue that Lily was in on the robbery you might have a better case. She obviously has some history with the Jack of Hearts, who is clearly identified as a member of the gang. Her dressing room at the cabaret has a brand new coat of paint (to hide some nefarious drilling activity to get into the adjacent bank?) Perhaps she’s dyed her hair to avoid being recognized from her previous illegal activities (and maybe she experiences some guilt when she thinks about the law). But the gang isn’t waiting for her, suggesting she wasn’t a member.

clausclaus and lschwart like this.
  24. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

Bingo. The NY-exclusive verse really hammers home a lot of the mythic / self-mythologizing depth of this song, IMO:

"I’ve missed you so,” she said to him, and he felt she was sincere
    But just beyond the door he felt jealousy and fear
    Just another night in the life of the Jack of Hearts.

The genius of the song is this articulation that the Jack of Hearts character is charismatic, dynamic, and brilliant... but also haunted... and, most importantly, a kind of wrecking ball / black hole, carrying destruction wherever he goes, albeit inadvertently. Never a fan of the Minnesota re-record, but I think the NY take is just staggeringly beautiful, and only surpassed by "Up To Me."

jimbo3688, hoggydoggy and RayS like this.
  25. RayS

“She was tired of the attention,
    tired of playing the role of Big Jim’s wife.”

Sounds like mother wants to take a trip. There must have been enormous pressures trying to be Mrs. Dylan while attempting to maintain a degree of normality.