Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident

One day we'll get the real Queen biopic when May & Taylor are gone. Maybe the way it will be done is through CGI to recreate the characters more fully w/o worrying about casting. I think we're 15-20 years away from photorealistic CGI. Then we can get the unsanitized Queen where we get that infamous party with the dwarves and cocaine trays.

2. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I enjoyed the movie a lot, even though I am a hardcore Queen fan. Actually I had to see it twice. I just loved the way the 70es and the 80es were shown. Lots of adidas and ray ban... A bit like today really!
    The early Queen gigs were lots of fun, a bit like watching Rare Live in HD and multiple cams...
    Sure, you could feel the ghost writing of Taylor and May, who apparently wanted to make known that everyone in the band wrote crucial hits, and why not.
    The only scene that bugged me was the Hot Space press conference: from all the interview clips I've seen of Mercury and gang, they always had the upper hand with the reporters. Or maybe that scene was supposed to portray those persistent aids rumours in the late 80es?
    But overall a surprisingly captivating flick, with a true Queen spirit.

Two scenes got my special attention during the 2nd viewing :
    1. When Freddie phones Mary during an early tour and they both say I love you, after they hang up, Mary is briefly shown leaving her flat. She's having an affair?

2. During the other phone call with the truck driver... The brand of the truck is MACK. Nice touch!

3. I felt that some songs were remixed, like the lead vocals came solely from the centre channel. Doing Alright sounded better too. But maybe that was down to the mighty cinema sound.

I am still hoping for a deleted scene about Roger Taylor's Fun In Space :D

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Still can't decide how I feel about this...the scene draws emotions from a fictional situation.

Agree completely. Filmmakers seem to willfully distort the timeline when it wasn't necessary.

NunoBento likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

905 and Mazzy like this.
  5. I really enjoyed it and it is doing really well with audiences. It’s a good uplifting Take on Freddie and the band. Casting was perfect.

Thought book ending the story within Live Aid was perfect. Even though timelines were adjusted.

Saw them once. 1975 Winterland San Francisco

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    andrewskyDE and Sondek like this.
  6. Cinema is different imho. Like reading a few chapters of a book. Hard to really get it.

7. That’s what documentaries are for.

Ever see Bonnie & Clyde? Great film. Liberties taken.

Sondek likes this.
  8. Motion pictures always rework timelines to move the narrative along. Common practive and usually necessary.

Check out the thread in the visual forum.

peachyg72 and enro99 like this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I got enough.

10. Well you helped give it a $145 million weekend worldwide so the producers thank you.

Sondek, KAJ1971 and 905 like this.
  11. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve posted the same there, I think. The story could have been told just as effectively with the songs/albums falling in the correct year. Filmmakers just didn’t care.

12. You probably know that two of the band members were the music coordinators/directors and had final say regards all the music in the film? . I had no problem with Fat Bottom Girls being included during that montage. Sort of fit the concept of being on the road in America for a rock band.

Documentaries usually tel me the exact facts. Films like this tell the story and show the spirit of the characters.

Efus and KAJ1971 like this.
  13. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Of course, I’m aware of everything you noted. My classes have also studied films based on true events for years.

The montage choice is one thing — showing the genesis of “We Will Rock You” in 1980 is silly.

I liked the film overall. I think it’s reasonable to question some of these choices.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

I didn't pay to see it.

15. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

About John Deacon's involvement, I heard a cast member say in an interview that, as we know, he never visited the set but also he sent a complimentary email, I think after he saw footage. I myself have only seen footage. It takes a lot to make me want to watch a movie.

16. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I saw Mike Myers (who I didn't even know was in the movie) on Colbert's show...And in the clip they played (set in 1975), Freddie was lighting up a cigarette. Did they not even try to get little details like this accurate?

And even better, when Myers' character suggests I'm in Love With My Car be the single off of ANATO, Roger acts all dismayed. :laugh:

17. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I'm all for picking out faults with this film, but complaining about Mercury smoking a cigarette 5 years (or whatever it is) ahead of him taking up smoking is a bit pedantic

LivingForever likes this.
  18. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

But see stupid little things like that bug me the most, because they're just so unnecessary...And I guess I'm a bit of a kvetcher. ;)

19. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I've yet to see the film myself but I have no doubt I will end up rolling my eyes at a number of factual inaccuracies too!

Zach Johnson likes this.
  20. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I've seen the film twice in the last week. One in the UK and once in France.

The scence (in French) where Freddie confesses his sexuality to Mary made me nearly spit my popcorn out.

I wasn't expecting the French word for "gay" to be that!

One another note, although the film was sanitised the music was great and the reconstructed Live Aid was worth the price of admission alone.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Don't leave us hanging.......

22. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Freddie: Je crois que je suis bisexuel.

Mary: Non Freddie. Tu es homo.

23. NightGoatToCairo

Mary: Rami Mercury, Rock In Rio '85 est à la télévision et nous ne sommes actuellement que 1977.

Rami Mercury: Merde, tu as raison.

LivingForever, Carlox and Nobby like this.
  24. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Saw the film again today.
    Strangely; it was better the second time around.
    For all its flaws and inaccuracies, it is still entertaining and featuring great music, with Malek excelling in the role as Freddie. An Oscar nomination would not be unfair.

The Live aid finale is epic, and a great piece of film making. So pleased they were able to use Freddie’s original vocals for that

danielbravo, 905, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  25. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Timesaver for those who read threads backwards:
    Discussion about the soundtrack for the most part ends around page 6. A post here and there about Pitchfork and DR values are sprinkled in afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.