Anyone sticking with "vintage" turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rgoodnight, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I used to have a Philips GA-312 years ago, which I gave to my sister. I still have a Philips 867 and a Dual CS-721. I doubt I will care to spend $2K for a more modern turntable.

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The Goldring GL75 is a much under appreciated turntable that usually comes with a very basic arm. It is very good but needs a decent plinth to give of its best and the arm replacing anything from a Audio techica 1005 upwards.

Me? I'm with the Pioneer PL12D fan club. It's capable of more than some people remember and well put together underneath.

I remember those Philips turntables - they weren't bad if you were looking for something convienent and really easy to use.

You know the trouble with this forum, guys? It reminds me just how many years have gone by when we talk about stuff this far back. Sometimes I feel it's still 1973.

Regards,

3. coopmv

I love European-made audio equipments and find my English-made equipments interesting. But a number of venerable English companies like Quad and Mission are no longer English-owned.

4. IXLR8

IXLR8 Forum Resident

I too use a 721 and 701 that I enjoy listening to. Have a Pioneer PL-51 hooked into the wife's system thst has always sounded very good. I have seen some very nice new ones but none that talked to me yet.

5. coopmv

I must say the modern, high-end turntables with those 1 1/2 - 2" thick platters seem pretty overwhelming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.