Ebay alert -- inexpensive DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bangsezmax, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yuck -- was this the same seller -- ambos99?

2. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

Yes it was.

3. bangsezmax

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Forum Resident

I was thinking quite highly of myself last week when I sniped one of these Entech DACs for just over $43 (plus shipping). :angel:

To my chagrin, I checked the sale price of several that had sold this past weekend, and some lucky sod took theirs for $15. $15!!! :bigeek:

I didn't get my t-shirt though. At the prices the seller ended up unloading those DACs for, I hate to even ask...

5. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Ouch!

Well, I can't complain. I got one heckuva upgrade to my CDP for $70, and that's less than half of that a cheap starter DAC costs nowadays. Heck, $70 is about what I'm spending on a glass Toslink cable.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Just picked up a new 203.2 off of ebay for under $55.00 including shipping, sales tax and insurance. I am planning to use it with an old-school heavy-duty "Made in Japan" Pioneer DV-414 DVD player as my CD transport.

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I just did the same. One question. Does the 203.2 handle SACD D/A conversion? Just curious because I have an unmodded Sony SACD player.

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Please post a review of the 203.2 when you get a chance. I was eyeing some of those this last week. Thanks to another DAC thread, I revisited this one and started looking at the auctions again. Looks like I wasn't the only one! :)

9. bangsezmax

No -- SACD only uses analog out to my knowledge. So there's not going to be anything coming out of the digital outputs on these. And the hi-rez DVD-A's I have aren't processed by the Cruncher either. And not HDCD either. All you really get with the Cruncher is Redbook. But by golly, it makes a HUGE difference in Redbook if you're used to mass market CD Players. Clarity and soundstage like nobdy's business. I've been thinking of grabbing another one while they're still available, to give to a fellow music lover or something.

My 205.2 has changed the way I think about CDs. It makes my needle-drops sound really incredible too.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So just how good are these Entech DACs? Do folks only notice improvements over budget DVD players or do they improve playback with better CD-only players, too? I'd like to know what players folks are using with these DACs.

11. kevinsinnott

Here's a review from ProAudioReview.com http://www.proaudioreview.com/august99/Entech-web.shtml

I realize it's from 1999, but they sure make it sound like it would improve my CD player.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

This looks like a steal. Anybody know if these puppies can decode HDCD?

13. bangsezmax

I'm using the Pioneer 588a universal. I also have used it with a Denon DCD-1500II, which is an nice older CDP with a digital out. Native Redbook on the Denon sounded better than native Redbook on the Pioneer (which is no slouch according to the Tone Audio article). But Redbook through the Entech is far, far superior to either of them though.

I'd have to plug one of the better CD players into my system to really A/B one against the Entech. And I typically figure that if you've spent four figures on a CDP, it better have on-board DACs at least as good as the Entech. But a 588a plus an Entech is going to run you about $200 total, and it's gonna sound pretty amazing for that price.

14. bangsezmax

No HDCD. Just Redbook.

15. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I just got a buy it now 35 + 15 new, Thanks

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Keith, from what I've read about the 203.2, it will most likely make a difference with older players or current inexpensive players. I seriously doubt it will improve upon a $300.00 universal or dedicated CD player. I thought $50.00 is very little to pay ***if*** I can improve upon the CD playback performance.

I got a Sony CDP-XA1ES CD player that I purchased for $25.00 from Salvation Army sitting around. It only recognizes disc some of the time, so if it's not too expensive, I will try to get that player repaired and use it with the Entech. Otherwise, I will used my Pioneer DVD-414....which was one of the first DVD players to offer component video output and passes dts. This Pioneer is twice the weight and size of the new $300.00 Pioneer Elite uni player.

I believe the 205.2 has more inputs and has better parts.

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Can't believe I paid 2X for the same DAC!

Just found below link....

Group buy, anyone?

Let's see....if I buy the whole lot and make approximately, say, $12.00 for each on ebay....$3,600! Hmmm, on an investment of about $5,300....

I see how Noel Lee is a multi-millionaire and I am not....

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Darn. Oh, well, I'm buying one anyway to give away as a Christmas present to someone I know who only has a cheap DVD player for disc playback. This should improve the sound considerably. Nice.

19. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I don't know about better parts, but the 205.2 does have more inputs (one optical, two coax) and is switchable:

[​IMG]

There's a lot of good info about this unit here.

20. kevinsinnott

Well, I received mine yesterday. Out of the box, I had a problem with it. The AC adaptor didn't fit easily, causing it to fall out a few times. The metal is slightly out of alignment with the inner hole. However, once that was forced to fit, it did power up. I threw on a Spanish Monks' chant CD to burn in. I've been working on a project so have no time to listen, perfect for burning in a new device.

I stopped in a few moments ago, some twenty hours later. WOW! The reverberation of the monks is incredible! I never knew how important a change this would be nor how startling to hear it. Keep in mind I have an original Rega Planet CD player, my comparison in my main system.

Anyone else?

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I actually received mine last Friday, 2 days after doing a "Buy It Now" on ebay. Unfortunately, I haven't open it yet....my work keep interrupting my hobby :realmad:

However, I will post some reaction later this week. And maybe photos if my stupid modem will allows me :realmad:

22. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I just got mine today a 203.2 WWOOWW! I paid 35 buy it now 15 shipping. I hooked it up to Pioneer 563a, red book was AMAZING! I know there is a break in period, but out of the box Incredible!. My Pioneer sounds SOOO much better. Thanks SO much for the Head up on this!

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Are you using Toslink or coax digital cable?

I am buying my first digital cable (aside from using 3 Radio Shack digital coax cables as component video cables) for use with my Entech Number Cruncher 203.2. My local Target stores are clearing Monster Cable stuff and I picked up a 1 meter digital coax cable for $5.00 and a 1 meter Toslink cable for $10.00. Whatever you feel about Monster Cable, that's a great price for a name brand cable. For those looking for inexpensive digital cables, check your local Target stores.

24. I am currently playing my Sony 222ES SACD/CD player through an Aragon Stage One pre/pro. I use the DAC in the Aragon for playing CD's.

Recently I purchased a Monarchy M24 tube DAC for $900.00. I heard very little difference between the Monarchy DAC and the DAC's in the Aragon, so I sent the Monarchy back.

The Entech is still available on ebay. What do you think, should I give it a try?

John

25. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

I can only speak for myself and say that I am happy with my purchase of the entech 203.2. I am using a sony 300 cd jukebox player that I bought before I knew better, and the entech has really made CD's more enjoyable to listen to. To me, the entech has made cd's warmer sounding while at the same time providing much more musical information. I am happy with my purchase. I believe I paid ~$40 shipped from e-bay. I have had no problems with my unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.