Ebay alert -- inexpensive DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bangsezmax, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I had a now-48-hour burn-in, and I hear a distinct improvement over my Rega Planet. Now, the Planet has an older DAC than the unit you describe. Fortunately, it's not an expensive experiment, in audio consumer terms.

I'd give a cautious "yes".

2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

For the price it's going for you could buy it and if you aren't happy, probably sell it for close to the same price on ebay.

3. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

Toslink

4. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I just bought one of the 205.2...I have a 203.2 for one of my Squeezboxes and love it....now I will have a 205.2 for the other....

5. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, he's raised the Buy-It-Now price by $15. Maybe due to the interest from this thread. I still think it's a great deal, and I still am thinking about getting another one.

I think they're pretty remarkable little units. CDs are just so much more appealing and less fatiguing to listen to now. I hope mine lasts for decades.

6. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Count me in too.

I grabbed a 203.2, I've had it about a week. A good tweak for not much cash.

CD's do sound better with my 563A and my Boss dual CD player/Burner!

I'm using the Boss as the main transport, it will have some war and tear on the 563A.

FYI, I'm using a coax cable.

Joe

7. kevinsinnott

I listened again this morning and it's the best tweak I've ever gotten. I think anyone would tell the difference, although, as I cautioned, my CD player may be old enough that anything would improve it. I read somewhere that the Entech does a good job removing jitter.

8. I just bought one of the remaining 203.2's.

I'm eager to hear how it sounds.

John

9. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

What do you think?

10. I received the DAC on Friday and only had time to play one CD. I am really suprised about how good it sounds. It has more bass than the DACS' in my Aragon Stage One and it seems to be not as bright.

I am currently "burning" it in over the weekend. I will do some serious listening with it on Monday.

11. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Anybody end up with a 230v version and want to sell it on??

12. I "burned" in my Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 all weekend and did some serious listening this afternoon. I did my best to level match the Entech to my Aragon Stage One. My conclusion is that the Entech is a very good sounding DAC, however it does not match the sound quality of the DAC's in the Aragon Stage One. This should be no suprise since the Stage One is quite a bit more expensive than the Entech.

The Entech is for sale at $45.00, shipping included. Send me a PM if you are interested.

13. PM sent.

14. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

My current CD player is an brand new NAD C542 so I guess it's safe to assume that this DAC wouldn't be an improvement?

15. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident Thread Starter

No way to tell without putting them head-to-head. The NAD looks like it's got a nice DAC, and it does HDCD. My guess is that the Entech might sound on par with the NAD, but I doubt either would blow the other out of the water. This is NOT the case when pairing the Entech with gear such as inexpensive universal players (which a lot of us own). The Entech clearly outshines the DACs in those.

16. wirewood

wirewood New Member

Got one, 44.95, 55.00 with shipping. I just got a DAT tape box and am hoping to use this to get it to my tube preamp.

Brian

17. kevinsinnott

After a week+ of burn-in, mine sounds great, better than I expected. Last night I listened to a 1980s disc of harp music (Georganne Cassat) on the Jonatha Wearn's defunct O.M. label. It just sounded beautiful, especially noteworthy was the room sound reproduced over the speakers. I suppose the two B&K microphones didn't hurt either.

I'm happy with my purchase.

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I have a bid in for one right now. We'll see in 8 hours...

19. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

I purchased my ENC 203.2 a month ago off of eBay. I am very pleased with the sound for $50 shipped! It can get better with a few modifications and I say few. From my research via the web, DIY'rs have made attempts to mod the ENC's only to find that the usual tweaking tricks do not reap as much audio juice as they would have liked. Nevertheless, here are two mods that seem to work well.
    1. Remove the opa2134, socket the opening, and roll-in an AD8066 on browndog adapter. This was recommended by DIY tech MisterX after he rolled in a number of different opamps. The AD8066 will maintain the high level of detail while adding some warmth to the sound.
    2. Perform the "Wildmonkeysects Filter mod." I found this one over at audioasylum. Here's the schematic
      [​IMG]
      Here's my drawing for the schematically challenged. :D

[​IMG]

This really works well. It adds a level of blackness to the background. Highly recommended.

20. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Would this improve the CD sound quality from my Sony DVD player if I use only analog (red and white) cables and not a digital cable?

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A DAC takes a digital stream (optical or coax) and then sends out an analog signal via RCA's to your amp or receiver. So, to answer your question, no can do. You need a player with a digital out if you're going to use an external DAC.

22. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

i have a Sony DVP-NS75H player. I use the optic audio out for surround sound on DVDs so I have it connected directly to my Onkyo receiver.

Could I use the Coaxial Audio Digital Output only for CD playback and plug this into the Number Cruncher? If I did it this way, would the Number Cruncher output better sound that if I just used the analog outputs from my DVD player directly into my Onkyo receiver?

23. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

When i don't use AES/EBU, for a great, cheap digital transmission device, I have a few Audio Alchemy powered, S/PDIF-toslink, selectable 75/110ohm digital transmitter/receivers that carry digital audio with very low jitter. They also act as a conversion from S/PDIF to optical. And whenever they're on ebay, they go quickly.

24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yes, that should work fine. Whether or not the Number Cruncher improves the sound depends on how good the DAC is inside the Onkyo receiver. Try to search out some reviews of your particular model to see if the D/A conversion is discussed.

25. kevinsinnott

Yes. It has a coaxial input. It would be placed between the DVD player and your receiver, as you suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.