Famous "Bone" (trombone) players

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JMT, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMT

JMT Senior Member Thread Starter

Obviously, being a former brass player, I lean towards listening to music with horns. Jazz, rock, classical, it doesn't really matter (not too much). Not too many "famous" bone players.

- James Pankow (Chicago)
    - Dave Bargerone (Blood, Sweat, and Tears)
    - Bill Watrous
    - Glenn Miller
    - Tommy Dorsey
    - J.J. Johnson
    - Kai Winding
    - Wayne Henderson
    - Slide Hampton

These are all I could come up with. Who am I missing?

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Re: Famous "Bone" (tromebone) players

I'll add one of my favorite 'bone players: Carl Fontana

3. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

the late great Albert Mangelsdorff

4. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

I've always loved Julian Priester with anybody, but especially with Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band. Though loaded with chops, he lets imagination and taste rule his playing!

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, they may not be "famous", but they were certainly well-respected in jazz:
    Bill Harris
    Bennie Green
    Curtis Fuller

My favorite jazz trombonist is J.J. Johnson.

6. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Jack Teagarden is the first name that comes to mind. He's not a bad vocalist either. And lets not forget, one of the most famous band leaders was also a trombone player, Glenn Miller.

Brian

7. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Is valve trombone (vtb) included? Bob Brookmeyer.

8. JMT

JMT Senior Member Thread Starter

Shame on me for forgetting Teagarden. Glenn Miller was included on my original list.
    Sure, why not? Actually I like when Maynard plays his Superbone (valves and slide).
    [​IMG]

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Of the contemporary players, I like George Lewis, Ray Anderson, Gary Valente, and Craig Harris. They happen to have come together on an excellent hatART CD entitled Slideride which may be available from DowntownMusicGallery.com or CadenceBuilding.com. Steve Turre is great on both trombone and shells, Conrad Herwig plays Latin/Jazz on his own and with Eddie Palmieri.
    On the European contemporary scene you have, among others, Gunter Christmann (who unfortunately spends more of his energy now playing cello), Paul Rutherford, Walter Wierbos, Radu Malfatti, Bernard Hunekink (of the Willem Breuker Kollektief). Globe Unity Orchestra tends to have several trombonists on hand at any one time, and George Lewis has worked with them.
    Contemporary but getting along in years are Roswell Rudd and Grachan Moncur, who recently made a come back after years of obscurity. Mosaic fans may be familiar with his 60's Blue Note gems.
    Then of course there's the foundation of J.J. Johnson and Jack Teagarden. It just goes on and on...then again, it all depends on what you mean by famous. All those guys are famous to me.

10. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

Urbie Green. Maybe too "easy listening" for purists, but I just love those old Command Stereo albums and some others, such as Senior Blues

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

IIRC, Urbie Green had some parts on those A&M/CTi albums in the late 60s, and took some decent solos. :thumbsup:

Frank Rosolino was an excellent trombonist, but was known more for featured as a soloist and ensemble player in other bands than he was for leading his own bands. His is one of the trombone styles I can recognize almost instantly. He played on a lot of west coast jazz albums.

Another name I'm remembering is Dick Nash, another west-coaster. Among others, he played on a lot of Mancini's early jazz albums in the late 50s and early 60s. His brother Ted Nash was a woodwind player.

And don't overlook yet another west-coaster: Milt Bernhart. :thumbsup:

On a Freddie Hubbard recording, Back To Birdland, I discovered a trombone player, Ashley Alexander, who played a horn similar to Ferguson's Superbird: he played a combination valve/slide trombone.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The first is usually the best. And that would be Weldon Leo "Jack" Teagarden.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's right, but don't forget Fletcher Henderson's trombonist, Jimmy Harrison. Unfortunately, he never made any recordings as a leader.

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I"m with you on this one, but I must say that pretty much 70% of the names listed here so far were on my list too.

15. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Teagarden was among the first, and he is my favourite from that era (1920s). He continued to play amazingly well right into the 1960s.

I'll re-nominate;
    Frank Rosolino - an incredible technician but also a superb musician.
    Carl Fontana - ditto.
    Slide Hampton - he's in his seventies now and plays better than ever, and he is one of the great underated composers and arrangers of the past 50 years.

Conrad Herwig is the most awe-inspiring younger player (well, he's in his forties) I know of. Check out his solo records or his work with Eddie Palmieri...

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I know no one knows or cares, but the late Milt Bernhardt was a favorite of mine

17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Jack Teagarden did so much to popularize the trombone while still retaining musical style and integrity. He enjoyed much-deserved popularity playing and touring with Louis Armstrong in the '40's. Even with the magnetic Louis on the stage, Jack held his own and even took the spotlight on occasion with one of his specialties, St Louis Blues, including doing a solo on the trombone using a water glass to wonderful effect. An amazing fellow. A fav of theirs is My Bucket's Got A Hole In It on Decca - what style those two had hehe

Slide Hampton is a wonder.

Let us not forget, in the immortal words of Pops from When The Saints Go Marching In, making the announcement sure to have had every head in the parish craning to take a gander:
    "And here come brother Hickinbottom down tha aisle with his tram-bone."
    ...just his inimitable way of announcing trombone player J.C. Higgenbotham.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Robin Eubanks who is currently playing with the Dave Holland Quintet.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't know if no one cares, but, like most trombonists who didn't make many recordings as a leader or even none at all, Milt Bernhart (without the "d"), who made only two albums, is not very well-known.

The same goes for the trombonist I mentioned earlier, Jimmy Harrison, who played with Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra. He didn't make any recordings as a leader, but he was the first great swing trombonist. He died way too young, at the age of 30 in 1931.

20. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

Don't forget Roswell Rudd - still active and still putting out challenging music like his collaborations with African and Asian musicians in recent years and his championing of the work of Herbie Nichols on CIMP. I think someone just released some of his early work with Steve Lacy, Paul Motian and others - Blown Bone.

Jerry

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

You missed some of the greatest from Duke's band: Juan Tizol, Buster Cooper, Lawrence Brown, etc.

22. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Forum Resident

23. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:) :thumbsup:

24. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

George Roberts --- Mr. Bass Trombone --- played a lot of great music on the Sinatra/Riddle Capitol recordings (even with NR!)

And I'd like to second Urbie Green --- his "21 Trombones" LPs on Project 3 are excellent.

25. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

One influential name that hasn't popped up is Kid Ory whose New Orleans bands featured King Oliver, an up and coming Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet. I'll second the nominations for Jack Teagarden, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, JJ Johnson, Kai Winding, Urbie Green and Frank Rosolino as amongst the best trombonists. From the UK Don Lusher of the Ted Heath bands is the outstanding player. Sadly, he passed away just a few months ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.