Police Reunion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They were all at the Sundance Festival. Copeland's movie was playing there and Sting was there with his wife.

2. Squealy

Isn't it a little early to be rehearsing for a summer tour? Even if you haven't been a band for 25 years?

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I see from Stewart Copeland's page that there's a second boxset with unreleased material on the way and ''The Police Around the World'' on DVD :righton:

4. kensc1nj

kensc1nj Forum Resident

An earlier post indicated there is a likely appearance at the Grammys.

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

well this is gonna be a year for concerts.

The Police, going!!!

Van Halen, cant stay away from this train wreck. never seen them with roth. I figured in 84 there will be many other times. wrong! going!!!

Genesis, never seen them. going!!!!

now it is said Led Zeppelin is getting back and Jason Bonham is on drums. I know its been said before but I believe it will happen.

I will def go to that if they come.

who else is gonna come out from under rocks and reform ?

6. Squealy

I think all these guys in their 50s and 60s are realizing "It's now or never."

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

no more Cream shows, that's for sure.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Everything old is new again.

:agree:

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

well as far as I am concerened new music gets my attention only so long.

the old stuff is what I still go back to.

I want to see bands that actually paid dues.

10. Squealy

I'm not sorry he did, but I thought Sting would never change his mind about this. I figured he was too rich.

David Byrne is another guy I would predict will never go the reunion route, but who knows? He may only be another lean year or two away from a Talking Heads tour.

11. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

I will be watching very closely the ticket sales for these Police shows. My take is this: the demand will not be what they are expecting, at least across the U.S. In some larger markets, yes, but in some secondary markets like Columbus, Sacramento, and Memphis I think shows will be canceled or put on at a smaller venue. The Police are kinda like The Clash: well regarded but very little yearly back catalog sales and a draught of young people "discovering" them. Remember for Woodtsock 94 they took some poll and asked if people wanted to see The Clash reunite, and most young folks said "No thanks." The Police are not a baby boomer band, nor are they really a Generation X band, plus many concert goers have been "bored to tears" seeing Sting perform live - I know I have! I am interested because I am a fan, but I am afraid that the stage will have 15 odd people on it like the Pink Floyd shows of the 80's and 90's (with most of them being folks from Sting's touring operation)

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

For the life of me, I can't understand why the Jacksons have not gotten back together. It would make a fortune, and it would relieve the pressure on Michael to do it all himself.

13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I don't agree. The Police have a much higher profile than the Clash amongst the 20-35 age group.

14. Squealy

Well, our local tabloid newspaper put the Police on the cover just because they are rehearsing here. I doubt they've had Sting on their front page in the past couple of decades. Of course, Vancouver is very excitable about such things, but it's obviously something people are interested in. And I think there are a lot of 30-something people like myself who were just a little too young to see the Police in their heyday, and are now affluent concertgoers.

You do have to wonder, though, what the impact is of 20 years of boring Sting records. Still, something tells me all will be forgiven.

15. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman New Member

I'd put $ down for a few Police shows this summer.

Now about those Van Halen boys...NOT!

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I agree--that would be a bummer. Just want to see the three of them rockin' on stage.

17. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Some may find Sting boring but the fact is: he's a massively successful superstar. If he can fill arenas easily on his own then how will The Police have any trouble?

18. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

The Police aren't on the roster for Coachella. You think they'll put in a surprise appearance or something?

19. krk

krk New Member

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

This is VERY debatable....

The Clash had something that The Police never had....Mystique....and that has made them endlessly cool to that age group....and none of them have made any lousy records in a long time....whereas Sting records are usually known as "parents music"...

Said by a guy who saw the Police in 1980....at Massey Hall...

22. Squealy

Paul Simonon's recent collaboration with Damon Albarn aside, they haven't made any good records in a long time either. Or any records at all. (I realize Joe Strummer has an excuse).

23. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

This has now been confirmed as I just read about their reunion appearence which is definitely going to happen at the Grammys. One of the radio trades officially made the announcement this morning.
    Bruce

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Well, and no offence intended, I'm actually in the 20-35 age group and almost all of my friends are aware of The Police and really like them. I also play in an all-request college pub and get way more requests for The Police than the Clash. This is not meant to downplay The Clash but first off, the Police were far more successful back in the day and second; their music is still played on the radio much more than the Clash.

25. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ok...

Understood...but if you go downtown and check out what is spinning in the clubs when there is a retro night of rock...usually, The Clash will win out...

I too have also DJ'd in this town....and believe me....if you went to "Blow Up" or "Goin' Steady" at Stone's Place, or "Easy Tiger" or any of those kinda nights down at Lee's Palace or whatnot...you would find that they barely would play the Police....you probably will find more requests for "London Calling" or their cover of "I Fought The Law"....

Just my opinion and yes...no offence either....perhaps it's because I am involved in the music industry that makes me the opinonated git that I am!

Cheers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.