Sly & The Family Stone - Best Vinyl / LP Versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesmu, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi all,

i've briefly searched this out on the forum, and haven't found too much in the way of what to look out for when shopping for vinyl.

what are considered the best vinyl / lp versions of Sly's albums to own? any particular stampers / matrix to look for?

:help:

thanx all!

:righton:

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Quad version of greatest hits is the only way on vinyl to get true stereo of any thing that is commonly rechanneled.

3. apesmu

hi BradOlson,

so, the original pressings of his regular albums all have rechanneled stereo? pardon my ignorance on this matter, but why was this so?

and, thanx for recommending the Quad version of the greatest hits, i will certainly look for that!

4. BradOlson

a couple of songs on the regular pressing of Greatest Hits are rechanneled, everything else is true stereo

5. BradOlson

Hot Fun in the Summertime, Thank You, and Everybody is a Star are the rechanneled tracks on Greatest Hits regular pressing

6. BradOlson

7. BradOlson

If I had the extra money right now, I'd buy a quad GH and just listen to the music in stereo.

8. apesmu

hi BradOlson,

thanx for all the replies!

so, only songs on the regular pressing of "Greatest Hits" are rechannelled - on his regular, non-greatest hits albums, the songs are in correct stereo?

and, what are the best versions of those to get? any particular stampers / matrix, etc. to look for?

again, thanx for all your help!

9. BradOlson

Only the 3 songs mentioned are rechanneled on the regular pressing of Greatest Hits. The rest of the material that appears on the albums is stereo. Original pressings are the way to go otherwise. Hot Fun In The Summertime, Thank You (Fallettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) and Everybody Is a Star only appear on 45s or the Greatest Hits albums.

10. apesmu

thanx!

so, just look for early, original pressings for the best in sound quality.

how are some of the new vinyl reissues that i've seen in some shops? are they just taken from the same tapes as used for the commonplace CD's?

thanx!

11. BradOlson

I'm unsure of that. What I do know is that the common CD of "Greatest Hits" wasn't sourced from the quad LP master or remixed, they used the common LP master tape.

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Some of the Quad mixes on the Sly "Greatest Hits" album are truly odd. Certain tracks like "Stand", "Everyday People", "You Can Make It If You Try", and "Sing A Simple Song" in particular sound a lot different than the regular stereo mixes. They're a little slower and have noticeable amounts of reverb applied to the vocals.

As far as the regular stereo LP's go, you really can't go wrong with the original yellow Epic label pressings for the albums up to "There's A Riot Goin' On", and for the later albums like "Fresh", "Small Talk", and "High On You" the orange Epic label copies.

Attached Files:

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If you can play it back, get the Quad 8-track of Greatest Hits, seriously...

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Do you have a copy of that? I had no idea CBS ever made any Quad 8-track tapes.

15. apesmu

hi all,

well, went to the local shop yesterday and picked up these two:

"Stand" and "There's A Riot Goin' On"

...both are on the yellow Epic label, and i believe are original pressings. i did notice that the matrix #'s on "Riot" are handwritten, whereas on "Stand" they appear to be machine stamped.

does any know hot stampers to have for these two LP's?

BTW, this is my first time really listening to Sly, and these records sound fantastic!

thanx all!

(i've added some pic's below)

Attached Files:

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes! I just respliced mine last week, and put in a new pad. I only played it back downstairs in stereo and not in the Lincoln (with the Quad deck), but it was very nice, as much as I could tell from hearing the front and rear separately.

CBS put out a lot of Quad 8-tracks - gold sleeve...

17. ivor

ivor Senior Member

What do the mono versions of the 60s albums sound like? Are they fold-downs?

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Only two of their albums were issued in mono, at least in the United States: A Whole New Thing and Dance to the Music. I have neither one, so I don't know if they are dedicated mono mixes or not.

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I can picture it in my mind right now... Rollin' down the street rockin' a Sly quad 8-track, blasting out of the window of your Lincoln.

Martin you are such a pimp!!!:D

20. tages

tages Senior Member

My UK copy of "Dance To The Music" is a fold-down. But you really must hear the 45s from that time ("Underdog", "Dance...", "Life/M'Lady", "Everyday People/Sing A Simple Song" and "Stand/Higher"). Everyone is a unique dedicated mono mix and absolutely blows away the LP mixes. Love to hear the mono "Whole New Thing" someday.

21. apesmu

BUMP

hi all,

just want to make sure that the two LP's i posted above (with pics) are the one's to get, as far as sound quality is concerned?

thanx all!

BTW - am really looking forward to the Sly CD remasters!

AND, has anyone picked up the Epic vinyl reissues, and can comment on those compared w/ original pressings? a bit off topic, but i did recently pick up an Epic LP reissue of Shuggie Otis' "Inspiration Information", and that one sounds FANTASTIC.

22. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

Sly in mono is the only way to go if you have the turntable. I had the stereo mixes entrenched in my brian and I was just blown away when I picked up my first mono Sly 45s, and Whole New Thing (which, to these ears is not a fold down).

23. apesmu

hi Feelflows,

thanx for the reply!

yeah, i've done a bit more treading through the older threads on here, and it seems that pretty much all of the MONO 45's are highly regarded on here! will definitely search those out.

24. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Definitely get the MONO 45s. They are different edits, mixes, feels...they're amazing.

25. apesmu

hi Jason,

thanx for the reply.

i will definitely search these out over here!

slightly off topic, but just curious if anyone knows if any of Sly's albums or 45's were pressed over here in Japan? every LP i've seen and picked up is a US original. (not that i care, as they are originals in NM or MINT condition and sound great!)

thanx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.