Are CRT HD Ready sets able to display 720p?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EddieVanHalen, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've bought a couple of months ago a new HD Ready CRT T.V. set and after doing some research on the internet I wonder if this kind of sets can really display 720p signal or they scale to 1080i.
    How can I know what my T.V. is doing with the signal?
    The source I'm using is a Samsung DVD HD860 and the set is this:

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Most of them DO NOT, as it's more difficult, and more expensive to do so. The big CRT front projectors could, for the most part, but then, some of them were the first to be able to do 1080P. When you go to LCD/DLP they are progressive, by nature, thus the lower resolution is easier and cheaper to do than 1080P, and they scale 1080i to 720P because they have to.

3. EddieVanHalen

So you think a set like mine (posted on the photo) does re-escale incoming 720p signals to 1080i?
    If so, would it be better to set the output of my Samsung DVD HD860 to 1080i instead of 720p?

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

My guess is, it would. What's the model number? As for what setting is best, pick your "favorite looking" DVD and try it at 480i, 480p, 720P and 1080i and go with what you like best. It may happen that the scaler in the television is better than the one in the player, or vice versa. Looks like a nice set.

5. EddieVanHalen

I love this set, it's the only CRT HD Ready one available in Europe, there's just no other, no HD Sonys or panasonic.
    It's not an expensive one, only costs 865 $ (650 €). Europeans and specially Latins (European Latins, Italians, Portuguese, Frenchs and Spanish) always want and look for the next best thing, they (should I say "we") like this to be and look fancy, so CRTs are not sold anymore in Europe.

Regarding the model number, this one is not available in the US, WS-32Z419T.

6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Not mine. I have a Pioneer Elite PRO510. Great 1080I HD but is unable to display 720P. Many of other brands do.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

8. EddieVanHalen

Yes, it can HANDLE 720p signals but, does it re-escale them? I don't even think Samsung would answer to that though sure they have the info.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is no way this set will display 720p at the native resolution.

There have been only a handful of tube CRT sets over the past 5-6 years that can do this. It's a matter of physics and bandwidth. The scanning rate of 720p is 44.9kHz, which is above what consumer grade TVs support. Plus, the beam spot size for 720p/60Hz is too small to be displayed on a monitor this small with without scan line overlap.

10. EddieVanHalen

So you think when fed an 720p signal it is re-escaling it to 1080i or whatever.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yup :agree:

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The fact that the specs only say "HDTV-compatible" probably means that is does not comply to all of the "HD-ready" requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

As SamS has written, "HD-ready" CRT TVs are quite rare.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is true. In fact, I would imagine the native scanning rate/frequency of this set is 1080i, but the actual scanning resolution is probably closer to 600i. So your true resolvable resolution on this TV is 600x340 interlaced by the time you account for overscan, etc.

I realize you can watch HD on your set, but the true resolution limits are probably 1/3rd of real, full HD. If you had an HD-DVD player and some test patterns, you could really nail it down.

14. EddieVanHalen

Mine says on the front HD Ready and so it says on Samsung's Spanish website.

15. EddieVanHalen

I don't have an HD-DVD player and don't intend to buy one though a Blu-Ray Disc player may be a posibility by the end of the year when prices come down a little.
    I wonder if an high resolution JPEG encoded (my Samsung DVD HD860 player can display them) test pattern would be of any help to check real display resolution, but don't know where this can be found.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm sure it's HD- ready, but that only means it can display signals input at 720p/1080i resolutions. What you truely see on the screen is a different matter entirely. FYI, this is not unique to your set. CRT sets of all natures have a tough time fully resolving HD resolutions. However, smaller size pretty much guarantees less resolution.

This could be an option. You'd have to be handy at creating your own JPEG image, and properly formating to DVD. I don't have experience at this, but I'm sure others have.

17. EddieVanHalen

I've been doing some research with Video Essentials and all 3 video formats (480p, 720p and 1080i) look DIFFERENT.
    With 480p there's a bit of what looks like video noise to me and resolution seems to be lower than the other two formats.
    720p looks fine, smooth motion, no interlace artifacts and very stable-flicker free picture.
    1080i looks fine, basically like 720p but flicker is more noticiable.
    Interesting, isn't it?

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Interesting indeed. There is a chance that 720p is downsampled to 540p (easy multiple of 1080i), and that accounts for less flickering. Go with 720p!

19. EddieVanHalen

I don't think so, keep in mind I live in a Pal system country so I have some region 2 Pal discs (75 % of my collection is R1 NTSC discs as I hate Pal) so have some material to check out both set and player performance on 576p, and it also looks different than the other modes, the video noise and lack of resolution present on 480p is also on 576p.

I got some tests patterns on 1280x720 which I dowloaded and, recompressed to JPEG (using the lowest compression setting) and then burned them to a CD.
    My player can display them on its native resolution and so looks my TV set as it can display a multi-burst pattern with all the lines even the thickest ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.