SACD/DVD-A car audio receivers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rck60s, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any combo DVD-A/SACD multichannel car receivers available out there..I have seen some 5.1 DVD receivers but nothing that will play SACDs(multichannel)

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

3. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks....have you ever seen these for sale?

4. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

first a "receiver" is defined as a head unit having an internal amplifier.

Generally, the better the HU, the fewer are internally powered.

There are soem DVD-A/V players--but they usually have a screen and are not geared for ultimate SQ.

Alpine has a 7990--which has a CD/DVD drive. It's more then $2,000

Mcintosh had a cool 406 model (Red-book) with built-in d/a; and a 4000 model that needs an external McIntosh d/a (it has some proprietary cable connection).

There are very few SQ units avaliable.

For a mobile system, I'd be more concerned with speakers and amplification.

5. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I bet bose didnt even build it.

I sure have been waiting for a surround stereo for the car. would love one.

8. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

It's available.

Alpine has PHA-700 something dts/Dolby digital processor

Some guy from Harman international (Lexicon,mark levinson/Harman/kardon, etc.) has his own algorithm he swears will produce accurate imaging anywhere in a car; I have my doubts.

There really just is no need for multi-channel sound in a car. It like wanting multichannel headphones.

The car environment is very similar, and given the right install and speaker location, can be the perfect place for a holographic sound experience.

Most center channels will screw-up any decent frontal imaging. But because these big companies like BOSE have ingrained the public's minds that multi-channel MUST be better than stereo, there will be those consumers who insist on more speakers.

It's very ironic because when high-end mobile audio started,it was of simple two-channel systems. Then as the '80's progressed, it just got crazy with people stuffing as many speakers into a car as possible. It got to the point where, on the completion field that car audio was broken up into two camps---SQ and SPL.

In SQ, multi-channel is a 4-letter word. Very, very few systems have more than 6 speakers in three locations.

In SPL, yeah, that's geared for multiple subwoofers all in phase and generating intense sound pressure levels that would easily break an eardrum

9. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

What happened to the Sony SACD players that were mentioned here not too long ago?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.