Boiling up old German Kraut - remastering Grobschnitt live on the web...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eroc, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eroc

Eroc Active Member Thread Starter

Okay lads - let's have it...

four weeks ago I was asked to remaster all (14) albums of my former band "Grobschnitt" again for reissuing by Universal Music/SPV in the upcoming three years. Besides founding this band in 1970 and playing there for all in all 17 years I also was involved in the recording sessions together with people like Conny Plank, Dieter Dierks and Walter Quintus. Some of the albums even were produced and recorded at my own studios. So, finally remastering this complete stuff with today's technical blessings and nearly 45 years of experience does really mean "a something" to me and you can bet, I'll run to get the very best out of it.

Being a member here at SH's for two years now I have learned my lessons in many discussions, at least how "our" products (spoken for the musicians) touch you, the audiophile folks caring a lot about the sound quality. I met quite a bunch of people here with great knowledge and taste and there's absolutely no need for anyone in "our" camp to ignore your opinions concerning the final product. You buy the CDs, you listen to them, you love the music, so you should get the best possible sound-quality for your money. Some of you praised my work in the past, some of you damned it, so let's have it now face to face...

I had the idea to launch an "open remastering" for the first time in history with all of you attending. Everyone who likes Grobschnitt's stuff is invited to join me on my way working on one of our most famous albums called "Rockpommel's Land", first released in 1977 on vinyl by Metronome/Brain. In a few days I could put high-quality MP-3 sound examples on my website ranging from 1:1 tape transfers to several kinds of enhancement and add a detailled commentary to each one. You can download them and compare them on your best equipment against each other and against some references I'll also put on the website (e.g. Gentle Giant or whatever). And then we can discuss facts, impressions, and suggestions here in this thread.

This could start by end of next week at www.eroc.de (Mastering Ranch, english) if - some of you find this idea interesting enough and worth while. So please gimme your thumbs up or down right now... :)

Kind regards,

- Eroc

Picture showing analog master tape of "Rockpommel's Land" side A played back for A/D conversion on sunday, April 15th 2007

Attached Files:

Fishleehooke likes this.
  2. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

Eroc , that's a great idea, count me in ...........

BTW I'm greatly impressed with you work on Gentle Giant, you're a great mastering engineering

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Eroc, that sounds wonderful! I love your work with Grobschnitt and I must tell you that your drumming skills are simply amazing. The fact that you are willing to share your remastering work in progress with us is an honor. It will be interesting to compare your work on previous Grobschnitt CDs with what you are doing now. So yes please count me in!

No kidding folks, if any of you are reading this and have not heard Eroc's work with Grobschnitt, you need to check out his History of Solar Music series. :righton:

Btw, great picture! What tape do you have rolling on the machine?

4. Eroc

Thanks for your kind words - the tape is BASF SPR 50 LH running at 30 ip/s AES, recorded "stereo" (0.75 mm separation track) @ 514 nWB.

- Eroc

5. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

count me in :righton:

remember it deserves to be played live :D

cheers
    Phil

ps who was the whistler on the lp ?

6. Eroc

It will be: on May 18th and 19th 2007 in a club in downtown Hagen the band hits the stage again for a partial reunion.

Willi (the singer) himself. He thought the mike was closed between his singing phrases. He also belched in that part, but we cut it out... :D

7. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

ooops I meant to say LOUD (as per the lp cover)

great news on the gig

8. Eroc

They'll decide after the concerts if and how to go on. Present name: NEXT PARTY. Present line-up:

Willi Wildschwein (vocals)
    Toni Moff Mollo (vocals)
    Milla Kapolke (bass, vocals)
    Rolf Möller (drums)
    Tattwa (keyboards)

Willi Wildschwein's son: gtr
    Milla Kapolke's son: gtr

I supplied them with all original show-playbacks and they've rehearsed for more than a year now on Milla's farm. Both shows were sold out in a couple of hours...

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Great idea Eroc - I'm in :righton:

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Very cool idea, Eroc! :righton:

Any chance that you could actually shoot some video footage to show each step of the process and your thoughts as you progress with the project?

Cheers,
    Chris

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

That's great to hear. Eroc, if you don't mind my asking, why did you decide not to participate in the reunion?

12. SilentCries

SilentCries New Member

Hello again Eroc! Will the track lists of the new remasters match those of your Repertoire remasters (i.e. "Jumbo", English and German versions; "Solar Music Live" with the "Missing 13 minutes")?

13. Eroc

Hi Chris,

no time for videos (and no camera at all) but some pictures will appear on my website later - don't want to overload the SH forum with files... :D

- Eroc

14. Eroc

Very simple answer: THEY JUST DIDN'T ASK ME...

15. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Hi Eroc,

Just wishful thinking on my part. ;) Pictures would be good!

Cheers,
    Chris

16. Eroc

The first three albums scheduled are: Jumbo, Rockpommel's Land and Sonnentanz (from 1987). For Jumbo both versions German and English will appear on one CD plus a bonus track called "Sonnenflug", a rather unknown single from 1977. For RPL I schedule to add some previously unreleased live-version as bonus and for Sonnentanz probably the additional song "Go For Love" could appear.

SM Live is scheduled for later this or next year. We'll decide then.

- Eroc

17. Eroc

Okay, Chris -

another small one for you in advance: in the middle you can see the stage where the analog signal is converted to 24 bits digital (Apogee SPX-100). Above the unit that's my headphone's amp (FM Acoustics of Switzerland) and below you see my 24 bit DAT-recorder (Tascam).

- Eroc

Attached Files:

18. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

I know he's been mentioned before on another thread but this one again made me really think of dear old Conny Plank and what he would of made/been able to add to all these discussions of old Brain and other productions (eg Aamok etc).:sigh:

I hope one day someone re-releases his supersession Liliental -Brain album

Perhaps his greatest feat-keeping Dinger and Rother (Neu!)together long enough to produce 3 (or 2 1/2)albums ;)

Phil

19. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Thanks for the pic, Eroc. I hope to see more as the project progresses. :righton:

Cheers,
    Chris

20. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Hi Eroc,

I forgot to ask... Approximately when will this first batch be issued?

Cheers,
    Chris

21. Eroc

You're so right, Phil - I remember so well when I started out with Conny in Hamburg in 1971. I remember how often we dreamt at that time about those phantastic solutions we now have, e.g. only the unbelivable possbilities in digital editing at the screen. Conny would have been one of the first to jump on that train, believe me.

Here for you and for all who havn't seen it yet again the link to the thread about Conny:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=78309

- Eroc

22. Eroc

Deadline for my work is @ end of April, so we can suspect the first three CDs to appear on the market probably in summer this year. I'll tell the exact dating later in this thread as soon as I know more facts.

- Eroc

23. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Thanks for the info! I'm sure that there will be a line-up of SHtv members waiting for these. :D

Cheers,
    Chris

24. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

yeah have been through the thread before-interstering stuff.
    I had a few great phone conversations with Conny in the late 70s/early 80s and had an invitation to the studio - but due to various circumstances I never made it

Phil

25. SilentCries

SilentCries New Member

Wow, I've been wanting to hear "Sonnenflug". It would be awesome if other single versions of songs would appear too (like "Waldeslied")!

This is a bit overkill, but will the Grobschnitt compilation from 1978 be remastered & released too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.