Best Roxy Music Album/CD(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mmg_fan, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmg_fan

mmg_fan New Member Thread Starter

Hi
    I don't cuurrently own any Roxy Music but would like to acquire 1 or 2 'definitive' cd's.
    I saw a japanese import of the self-titled album at my local HMV at a great price. Would anyone care to share their favorite(9s)?

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Just get Avalon. It is their crowning achievement. You will find most people divided into one of two groups: either the early stuff where Bryan Ferry sounds like Bobby Boris Pickett and the songs are more edgy and bizarre, or the later period (after a hiatus), with a smoother sound and his voice was less 'idiosyncratic.' In the beginning, they were over the top; the later period was more restrained.

Me, I'm a later period guy. I also love Flesh and Blood, their second to last studio effort, but no one here will agree with that.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Siren and Avalon are my favorites.

4. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

:agree:

:righton:

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

This group does not have a really good greatest hits.
    Avalon is a great album.

I think Stranded is the best of the early stuff

I ended up getting them all and making a best of.
    The newest remasters by Ludwig are very good.

6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

the first two or three, with Eno, before they turned into a pop band (albeit a decidedly good one)

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Avalon is probably my favorite. However, I really do enjoy all of them.

8. doc brown

doc brown New Member

My vote for Avalon as well!

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I don't like "Avalon". It is very good, but not what sales my boat. I would recommend "County Life" for their early sound. Another one I like is "Flesh + Blood" which is more of a pop album.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Easy choice:

"For Your Pleasure" which is their proggiest, and "Siren" which shows the move from proggy to poppy.

11. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Avalon is a great starting point because it's definitely more accessible compared to their early stuff. But I also think its their best album.

12. Avalon is a great album but far from their crowning achievement IMHO.
    I'd go with For Your Pleasure (with Eno), Stranded and Country Life. Siren is good as well but it has some filler on it. Flesh and Blood is probably their worst album (again, IMHO)with only the singles from it (Oh Yeah, Flesh & Blood and My Only Love) to recommend.

They were at their best in the 70's when Ferry was willing to experiment. Sure Avalon is a great moody album and it's brilliant in its own slick way but the earlier albums have a breadth and depth missing from Avalon.

1. Country Life-All I Want Is You is a hard driving, rocker, The Thrill of It All features some brilliant electric violin by Eddie Jobson. "Triptych" has a middle eight that quotes mideval music. "Casanova" has a killer, slinky funky groove and still manages to rock.
    2. Stranded (Their 1st #1 in the UK) Mother of Pearl, Amazona are brilliant.
    3. For Your Pleasure-Their most experimental certainly (outside of the debut but the songwriting is better). The band's sound gels here. "The Bogus Man" and the title track are brilliant epics.
    4. Avalon-Slick and sexy
    5. Siren-"Both Ends Burning" and "Nightingale" are top notch as is the first single that cracked the top 50 in the U.S.--"Love is the Drug"
    6. Roxy Music-Their most off-the-wall album.
    7. Manifesto-Brooding and dark dance music--paved the way for "Avalon".
    8. Flesh + Blood (with one horrible cover Eight Miles High and a nice cover of In The Midnight Hour).

13. If you're looking for 1 or 2 definitive CD's, you should consider the 'Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry * Street Life * 20 Greatest Hits' CD, and go from there.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agree. You should be able to pick one up used fairly inexpensive. Mastering is actually good. The best of everything is there.

Avalon is a superb record, but there are many things the band did well before they drifted into that romantic stage....

15. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I think you want to skip the cd and go for the original Country Life on UK lp. ;) :D

seriously though, even though I prefer their earlier stuff, I'd also suggest Avalon as a starting point.

16. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

flesh and blood contains, argueably, roxy's greatest song, no strange delight.

later, chris

17. Roxy Music post 'Siren' are a completely different band much like latter day Genesis. If you like pop music then buy 'Flesh & Blood' or 'Avalon' if you like your rock music with an arty bent then any of their first five albums are all excellent.

18. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

That exactly how it is. It completely depends on your personal preference, so it's hard to give a good recommendation. Overall, I think most albums are great. Funny thing is that I got into RM by Manifesto and Flesh and Blood and discovered their early stuff years later. Avalon is still my favourite, and IMHO Country life is the best of their first batch.
    Indeed, for a newbie it may be the best idea to start out with Street life - 20 greatest hits. It's a good overview and has many of their best songs.

19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Your best bet would be to buy a Gt Hits

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I rate For Your Pleasure and Stranded miles ahead of Avalon.

Avalon passes pleasantly enough; but that's all. FYP and Stranded are great albums.

Tim

21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If you prefer Ferry with a bunch of session musicians go for 'Manifesto' onwards, if you want a more real Roxy Music then up to 'Siren' is fine. Sonically, for the first five at least I re-bought the first five original Virgin cds after trying the remastered HDCD and not liking them, you can pick them up really cheap too.

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I would get one each from their early period and their later sophisticated chic pop era. "Avalon" is undoubtedly a great album, but if it's the only one you get and you don't like it, it would discourage you from checking out their earlier very different and far more experimental stuff.

I would encourage you to try any album from the debut through "Siren" from their early period and then either "Avalon" or "Manifesto" from their later era.

Really, all Roxy Music albums were quite brilliant in their own way. The first two albums with Brian Eno aboard are definitely the most challenging albums and the band get gradually less "weird" with each release up through "Siren". And if you do end up liking what you hear, you'll likely want to get them all. :righton:

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My Top 3:

1. For Your Pleasure
    2. Country Life
    3. Avalon

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

For Your Pleasure is one of the best albums I've ever heard so I'd definitely recommend it, in fact the first five from Roxy Music to Siren are pretty much essential. There's a good compilation of the first three albums called The Early Years if you want an overview of early Roxy. As for the later albums, it's a case of diminished returns, Manifesto is alright; I thought Flesh And Blood was dreadful, and Avalon pleasant but post Siren they became very much an AOR rock/pop band. It really depends what you would prefer to listen to, the early, innovative art/rock Roxy, or the later MOR pop band.

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Avalon is a great album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.