Paul McCartney - The Official "Memory Almost Full" Album Thread (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

There's a very brief clip of Paul encouraging folks to buy a copy of his new album "for your friends, your enemies, ... your pets" on amazon.com on the "memory almost full" page. He also does a brief rendition of Dance Tonight there, too...

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I was thinking the same thing! My only question is will Starbucks carry the Deluxe Edition. I am also only going to buy it from them, if they are playing the album, like they are supposed to be doing all day on the 5th.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Starbucks are not selling the regular edition and deluxe edition MAF.
    They are selling the caffeinated and decaffienated versions. :)

4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I doubt Starbucks will have the deluxe edition. The amount of space they have dedicated to CD's in the average Starbucks is tiny -- they'll have room for about 10 copies of the standard edition.

I have no idea why people are making such a big deal about the Starbucks thing. You don't have to go to Starbucks to get the album -- it will be available everywhere.

In regular music stores.

Everywhere.

5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Here's some bands that I think really rock.

Mother's Finest
    Foghat
    Ac/Dc
    The Black Crowes
    Led Zeppelin
    Aerosmith
    The Bus Boys
    The Dan Reed Network

These are just a few.

Here's my McCartney rock album

Juniors Farm
    Rockshow
    Jet
    The Mess
    Girlschool
    Hi Hi Hi
    Stranglehold
    So Glad To See You Here
    Smile Away
    Oh Woman Oh Why
    About You
    Not Such A bad Boy
    Getting Closer
    What It Is
    Lonely Road
    Big Barn Bed
    Soily
    Rockestra Theme
    Best Friend
    Angry
    Coming Up
    Beware My Love
    Only Mama Knows

There are others, but many of them are covers so I only included songs that McCartney wrote himself. Also these aren't in any particular order.

If you think McCartney had rock cred that's great, but he really doesn't, as I posted earlier, I remember reading magazines back in the sixties where they were already calling him the choir boy, and I've read it so many times since that I can't even count.

They always said that McCartney was the balladeer, Lennon was considered the rocker in the Beatles. That didn't start when they broke up!

6. Glenn Christense

Who are "they" ? I know that John got compliments as a rocker back in the day, but so did Paul .

I'm sure SOMEBODY commented on Paul writing lighter material (I Will, etc.)
    back in the Beatle era , but the sarcasm REALLY started after the breakup.
    Mary Had A Little Lamb , Bip Bop.... let's see. You are a rock critic with
    a column to fill every week or month . Who is an easy target to unload on at the time ? :)

7. Dr. Pepper

I'm trying to decide between Granda and Venta editions!:wave:

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Mr. Christense, they are the journalist, the reviewers, the interviewers, the articles, the commentaries, the columns, the magazines, newspapers, etc. Because of all the years and years of perpetration about McCartney, to this very day people still believe many of these things that were and are published.

Even on this forum, someone posted a link to a article where a teacher is standing in front of a class of young people spewing nonsense about McCartney. Many and I do mean many reviews always include the statement that his post Beatles music is filled with bad material, that just isn't true, yes some of it is bad, even very bad, but it isn't filled with it!

I have read these comments so many times over the Decades that as I said I can't even begin to count. I used to have a lot of these old clippings but unfortunately I went thru hurricane Andrew and it was all destroyed.

It had started long before the Beatles broke up!

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

10. Glenn Christense

I have stated my opposing view as lucidly as I can in previous posts. Safe to say I am not changing your mind , and you are not changing mine, so let's not beat a dead horse.

11. Glenn Christense

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Honestly I don't think it is a dead horse, I think it is very interesting that some think McCartney has rock cred. I just wish this were really true.

I have thought from the very moment I heard about the Starbucks deal that it was a brilliant move by McCartney.

13. Glenn Christense

Your original position was that McCartney NEVER had rock cred. My position is he did, until after the breakup, for all the reasons I have explained in my previous posts . Go back and reread them and you will see my reasoning. I can't make it much clearer , so let's agree to disagree.

WE love him. Who cares what anyone else thinks ? It's like forcing someone else to like...toast, because WE do . They might not , no matter what WE think.:)

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Guys what do you think of this review, I found it on a website called Albumvote.

When Jann Wenner reviewed "Magical Mystery Tour" for an early edition of Rolling Stone, it was a one sentence quote from John Lennon: "There are only about 100 people in the world who understand our music." For the first time since the Beatles broke, that statement can be applied to a Beatle album.

This isn't perfect, but it is close. The range of styles and song structures on this record is breathtaking. The attention to detail rewards repeated listening; there are lyrical and musical asides everywhere, much like listening to a Beatle record. And the bass playing is as good as displayed on "Something" and "Come Together" almost 40 years ago.

A number of tracks stack up as among Paul's greatest:
    "Mr. Bellamy" is in a class with "Uncle Albert" and musically is as complex as a classical work; "Only Mama Knows" is Paul's best rock since "Junior's Farm", only its melodic like "Jet". "You Tell Me" is an equal to other great McCartney paens to lost love ("For No One", "Here Today"). "House of Wax" is (excuse the pun) dripping with detail and rocks harder as it moves through one of McCartney's most Dylanesque (yes, dear, you heard right) lyrics; its "1985" meets "Jokerman".

The two singles, "Dance Tonight" and "Ever Present Past" are actually the least representative of the album. The former defiantly throws McCartney's penchant for silly love songs in your face, for a meaningless but catchy number that effeectively sets the stage. The latter has an effective lyric but slightly edgy (some won't like it) production to create a pure pop record.

The album ends with an effective 5 song medley, highlighted by "House of Wax", the rockabilly "That Was Me" and "The End of the End", a moving tribute seemingly to his own death. The final track, "Nod Your Head", rocks as hard as "Why Don't We Do It In the Road" and has, disguised in its simplicity, some rather complex sentiments:
    If you like the life you're living, nod your head

Unlike many McCartney projects in the past, this record begs repeated listening and repeated exposure. And most people won't understand it. Don't be one of them and pick it up.

1. Dance Tonight: Mandolin driven album opening ditty.
    2. Ever Present Past: Pure pop with an electronic edge.
    3. See Your Sunshine: Very modern sounding song, weakest track here but a killer middle 8.
    4. Only Mama Knows: Best rocker since "Junior's Farm".
    5. Mr. Bellamy: Best track. A companion for "Uncle Albert".
    6. You Tell Me: "For No One" type love ballad; impressive.
    7. Gratitude: Lennon-style sarcastic rave-up (think "Yer Blues"). We all know who its about.
    8. Vintage Clothes: Start of the medley; nice edgy pop piece.
    9. That Was Me: Great rockabilly journey through Macca's past.
    10. Feet in the Clouds: Brian Wilson-esque both musically and lyrically.
    11. House of Wax: A highlight, some of Paul's best lyrics.
    12. End of the End: Emotional album closer, musically and lyrically impressive.
    13. Nod Your Head: Album ending rave-up, Macca meets White Stripes.

Mr. Christense, I've understood your post from the very beginning, when I said some think he has rock cred, I was talking about the people who posted on this forum. We're all entitled to our opinions.

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I've read in many of the reviews about MAF that it is as good as anything McCartney has done in his entire career, do you guys agree with that?

I still haven't heard the entire album, but for those of you that have, do you really think these type statements are true?

I mean if they are, then this album is as good as anything he's done with the Beatles, is that really true?

16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

17. Glenn Christense

I don't know about anyone else , but I'll be ecstatic if MAF is in his top three solo albums , never mind his Beatles stuff.

18. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Just watching all the promotional interviews Macca has been giving for MAF, you can't help but see and feel his enthusiasm for the new material!!! Personally, I can wait.:)

19. Glenn Christense

I liked Flaming Pie, Chaos, and I must be a rebel because I liked Driving Rain also , so if you guys that have heard MAF are correct I am in for another treat, huh ?

20. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Whoops ... meant to say I can't wait to buy and hear the new album!!!

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Paul will appear on BBC2's 'Later with Jools Holland' on Friday the 8th of June and will be performing new songs!

22. Dr. Pepper

I don't think by any means that MAF is Paul's best album, it's only in his top two!!!!! Get it, Get it, Good!!!!:goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

My New top 21 All things Beatle (5/17/07 9:48 PM Pacific)

1. Sgt. Pepper
    2. White Album
    3. Abbey Road
    4. Hard Days Night
    5. Rubber Soul
    6. Revolver
    7. Please Please Me
    8. All Things Must Pass - George
    9. Help
    10. Chaos - Paul
    11. Magical Mystery Tour
    12. Memory Almost Full - Paul
    14. Plastic Ono Band - John
    15. Imagine - John/Ram - Paul
    16. Band on the Run - Paul
    17. With The Beatles
    18. RINGO - Ringo
    19. Double Fantasy -John
    20. Walls and Bridges - John
    21. Cloud 9 - George/Choose Love - Ringo/Tug of War - Paul/Beatles for Sale

I've never done a list like this before, but I feel that the solo albums are gaining in stature, as they should. What do you folks think?

23. Glenn Christense

As long as it is better than McCartney II .:)

24. Claudio Dirani

MAF is one of Paul's best. Period. I don't think there's anything like that for any artist. What's Dylan's best etc. It depends on the mood, the weather, the day. Paul's best maybe Ram or Chaos or BOTR or MAF or Pie...the best thing here is we have several "best ones" to pick!
    ;)

25. Claudio Dirani

Your kidding. McII is not a "regular" album to be compared with any of Paul's albums imho. It's an experience.
    So you can relax. I'd say it's a mix of Pie/Chaos and even though it's so different!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.