Herb Alpert's RISE - re-released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HGN2001, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tps

tps Forum Resident

IIRC, the title track of "Rise" started out as sort of doodling by Herb Alpert and the engineer as they tried out the (at the time) new 3M 32 track digital machine that had just been delivered. I've got the MFSL LP of Rise, but I'll certainly be interested in how the sound on this CD re-master compares.

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Actually the song "Rise" was written by Herb's nephew Randy "Badazz" Alpert and his songwriting partner Andy Armer. When A&M Records was lent the digital multitrack by 3M to experiment with, the original intent was to re-record a number of his past hits disco style. When that idea was abandoned midway through recording a new version of "The Lonely Bull", Randy gave his uncle a demo tape with a number of songs he had written. "Rise" and "Rotation were among those songs on the tape. "Rise" had been originally written as a fast disco song, but it was Herb's idea to slow the song down to the tempo that the final version was recorded at. The track was cut live in just a few takes, with only a couple of added overdubs to the master take.

TongueDruid likes this.
  3. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I saw Herb Alpert at the House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard some years back (I think he was promoting "Second Wind" or "Passion Dance").

A small combo supported him with Randy Alpert on keyboards. The backing musicians came out first and began playing the opening to "Rise" for quite a while. That was cool in itself. Then, Herb came out, all dressed in white with a white trumpet, and started playing. The place went wild.

Very nice evening.

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

If memory serves correctly, "Rise" became a hit single after its appearance on the daytime soap opera General Hospital. It was used during the infamous Luke and Laura scene, and then repeated on the show for a while afterwards.

It was also used by instructors teaching disco dancing back in the heyday of disco but I won't discuss how I know this. :angel:

5. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

When I make a mistake, I make a good one. My post regarding seeing Herb at the House of Blues left me with a bad feeling about designating Randy on keyboards. That didn't seem right at all. It was Andy Armer on keyboards and Randy on drums. I should pay more attention.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Okay, I'll try again...

Since people clearly have this already, how does it sound?. I'm not mad, irritated, or otherwise bothered - I promise. I just find it very funny that with all this interesting chatter (and it really is interesting to read), no one is saying anything about how the darned thing sounds...LOL!

Ed

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

OK guys, I bought it and it's playing right now. The first thing that struck me is how LOUD it is. But, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

8. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Loud as in compressed?

Perhaps my reason for wanting to know will "goose" people into commenting on the sound. I have this album on regular LP and DBX LP. I love my DBX album but would rather have a more portable CD. Do I need to convert my DBX LP or will this CD make me happy?

BTW, thanks for the response, Grant. I was starting to feel a little ignored...LOL!

Ed

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's cool that Herb had two of the guys who originally played on the record backing him up live. I didn't find this out until recently but Louis Johnson of The Brothers Johnson played bass on the title track.

10. Grant

The air conditioning is a bit loud, and I have a wife who is trying to sleep, so I have to keep the sound low. I don't want to use headphones. I played it in the car on the way home, too. The sound is very smooth...warm.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Not to quibble, but according to the liner notes, Louis Johnson played bass on "Love Is" (not the title track). The other bass players credited are Abe Laboriel, Jerry Knight on "Aranjuez" and James Jamerson, Jr.

Perhaps you have some inside information?

Harry

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The best indication I have that it is Louis Johnson is the tone of the instrument on the track. The bass on "Rise" is the unmistakable tone of a late 70's Musicman Stringray bass. That was Louis' main axe from 1978 until the mid 80's. He was a major endorser of the instruments during that time. Laboriel, Knight, and especially Jamerson were all Fender Precision players.

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Wish this had the 12" on both speeds. I stille love it! Glad to see this out on CD and I think the new track ordering makes sense.

14. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

:agree: a bit loud,but not an ear-bleeder at least IMHO.:cool:

15. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Active Member

Laboriel was the bass player on the song "Rise". And it turned out that Laboriel was the one who convinced Herb to slow the song down. Originally, the song was written to be played faster than what we now know it to be.

Sound-wise, it is louder than the previous CD, but I don't hear any real differences or tape flaws that was on some of the TJB reissues.

Capt. Bacardi

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

To this day I still don't understand how anyone thought the LP or 12" of "Rise" sounded good played at 45 RPM. I've tried it and it sounds like something out of a Chip 'N Dale cartoon!!!

17. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Nope, Laboriel was the Bassist on "Rise."

18. Grant

I notice that several French versions of 12" singles run too fast.

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I've noticed that on certain foreign 12" pressings. I have a UK copy of Chic's "Le Freak" that is at least a semitone above the original recorded pitch. I wonder if that is just an instance of the tape machine used during the lacquer cutting is running too fast or the platter on the cutting lathe is running too slow.

The thing about "Rise" that was odd was that some UK club DJ's were playing imported copies of the US 12" at 45 RPM when it really is mastered at 33 1/3. Somehow people didn't realize this was wrong and it became a hit in clubs played at that speed!:eek: How they made this mistake I don't know since the correct speed is printed right on the label.

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Here's a copy of the 12" single label.

Attached Files:

21. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

It was actually a hit quite a bit before that...I remember seeing the promo film for it on cable TV's "Video Concert Hall". Anyone remember that show? they had "Carouselambra" by Led Zeppelin as the theme song. :agree:

22. RW-audio

RW-audio Forum Resident

Perhaps a touch...

Attached Files:

23. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Looks a bit compressed to me...Was there an alternative CD release to this new remaster, like an Audio Master Plus (AM+) issue? I've only listened to the LP for the last 27 years, haven't even heard any digital version of it yet.

24. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Active Member

There was only the CD from around '87 which went out of print a few years ago. It was never part of the AM+ series, unfortunately. There was a MFSL vinyl version.

Capt. Bacardi

25. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

:yikes: especially for a jazz record!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.