Worst mastering you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Without even thinking, the first one that comes to mind is "Hear To Tempt You" by the Temptations - Japanese Atlantic reissue from this year.

It sounds incredibly "muddy" - almost as though it were a badly-done needledrop. Horrific. I can't believe I forked over $30 for it.

Ed

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Move-Message From the Country

3. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Current Jimmy Hendrix remasters is horrible.

BTW, Californication sounding much better on vinyl than on cd. It is may be not source mastering,but digital transfer issue.

4. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I never listened to anything other than the box set and I have not yet noticed great problems. However I did not listen to it all that loud and all that often, since I only bought it recently.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the latest stuff:

Whitesnake 1987 - 20th Anniversary Edition

way tooooooooooooooooo loud

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Jon Anderson - Animation

The waveforms aren't waveforms at all. Just solid blue bars, all the way across. No detail, no intimacy, absolutely no connection at all between the listener and the music. What I less-than-affectionately refer to as "Mack Truck Mastering".

Granted, the original mastering is nothing to brag about, the album doesn't sound that great either. But I threw everything I had at that album and STILL couldn't get it to sound as bad as the CD.

I do try to respect the work of others, but in this particular case, all I can say is that this CD sounds best when played in the microwave.

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Wow. I know this isn't saying much, but I think it's the best-sounding Beatles product released in the last decade.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Sinatra/Capitol/Bob Norberg 1998+ discs. Taken as a whole, the worst destruction of a catalog I've ever heard. It's almost 10 years now since these began to be released, and I still can't believe how someone could take those amazing sounding recordings and willfully make such a mess. I'm glad the original engineers weren't credited in the notes - I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know much about this stuff to think John Kraus/Palladino, etc. were to blame for that pollution.

9. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

:agree: The most ridicluous use of NR imaginable.

10. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Well,they're better than the horror story that were the 1993 MCA remasters which were mastered by(I'm not kidding!) Chop 'Em Out:wtf: .Just looking at those "new artwork" covers makes me wanna puke!:hurl:

11. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I knew it was bad, but after hearing the DCC, I realized that the UK EMI version of McCartney is one of the worst No-Noise abominations out there.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The latest Cheap Trick Cd. The music/performance is good but it is so loud I can't stand it. I will never play it again.

13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Actually the vinyl is not much better, made me think there was something wrong with my stylus! I also check it for dust at least twice when playing it... There is never any dust there! :laugh:

14. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

15. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

It's all fun and games until you put somebody's eye out. :tsk:

Worst remaster..I'll leave out the obvious from a certain rather popular prog group from the UK. Worst I've heard recently : Hoelderlin- Rare Birds. I just don't understand why somebody would eq anything like that! Also Steve Hillage - Motivation Radio. :shake:

16. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Queen II on Hollywood Records. I know it's not news. But it is the worst I've heard. :hurl:

17. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I can't believe it took till the third page of this thread for someone to bring up Beatles For Sale.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I would have said the new Macca CD, but I think it was recorded that way.

Has to be Vapor Trails.

19. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Californication wins for me as well for the following reasons...

1) Its one of my favorite albums...but its unlistenable.
    2) A recording saturated with distortion is worse than just less than satisfactory sound quality...which is where I think most of the poor mastering jobs lie.

20. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

The remastered Queensryche Operation Mindcrime CD. Actually gives ear pain, what a mess. It ruined the album for me now.

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agreed!

Unfortunately I got several all at once before playing any -- during my "pre-SHF, all remasters must be better" phase.

I didn't even know Sinatra's catalog very well, but after playing just one or two songs of the remasters I thought, "What the h-ll is wrong with this?"

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'll go with this. But, it doesn't sound too bad at a very low volume!

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:edthumbs:

24. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Can't really judge this as the worst, for I never even got around to hear it myself after all the devastating reviews that I have read - and not just only on this forum. I had been looking forward to this cd release for years and then you get THIS disaster. BTW, I think the album in itself wasn't mastered all that bad. The vinyl sounded pretty good to my ears (W-German Polydor pressing).

Next to the obvious ones (Rush, RHCP) I also second the reissue of Qyeensrÿche's Operation Mindcrime.

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Pat Travers needle drop remasters by Majestic Rock...

Gillan 2007 remasters

...and Vapor Trails of course!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.