Could Steve remaster "Memory Almost Full"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer Thread Starter

Hi everybody, I'm new here!
    I was just listening to the new album from our dear Macca, and I agree with what I've read on this forum: it is not a great sounding one. I was wondering what kind of sequence of unbelievable events it would take for Steve to get involved in the remastering?

2. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

C'mon guys, let's subscribe a petition!! Count on me

3. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Isn't there a way to digitally expand the wave forms and create more dynamics just as there is a way to squash the music by using digital compression? That would undo the damage, or not?

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

another day another memory almost full thread.:righton: not

5. Plan9

Well, there are ways to do this on software, but I doubt it would improve the sound... or "re-create" the original wave form out of thin air for that matter...

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

That would be like folding something in stereo to mono and trying to get it to stereo again. Imposauras!:) :wave: Ps..although I have a secret tweak that makes it better or less worse sounding!

7. Plan9

Exactly! another reason to prefer analog over digital: you can't change digital once it has been recorded for good...

8. Plan9

Yup. But petitions doesn't seem to have a great impact on record companies nowadays... :shake:

9. Plan9

What's your secret? :D

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

If you check one of the thousands of Memory Almost Full threads, Bob Ludwig said in an email to me that this is how Macca wanted it to sound. He also hinted that it was the way the tapes sounded anyway, before he mastered it.

11. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

Dynamics can be added with an expander but no magic pill can fix bad remasters unfortunately. If there is one, somebody please get me a prescription!

Imagine a song recorded at a constant level of say -6db all the way through, except for one point where a snare is hit and the level rises to 0db. Then some wacko engineer decides to maximize the volume of the whole -6db part to 0db. The snare has nowhere to go and will now be equal in level to the rest of the song. How could a computer ever "know" that it was originally supposed to be 6db louder than the rest of the song?

If the music was just compressed and not peak limited, maybe it could be expanded a little, but I would guess it would sound awful to attempt that. The computer would still have no idea what settings were used on the original compression- attack, decay, cutoff... to uncompress (expand) properly. Not to mention the decrease in fidelity caused by reducing the bit depth (from the original compression) and then hoping to just pull it back up in all of its original detail out of nowhere. Although that's another story, or argument...

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'd rather Steve spend his time on worthier albums.

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. Plan9

Yes, I've read that too... for a second I scratched my head and wondered if Macca hadn't lost his hearing...
    Anyway it seems to have paid because it has sold more copies in the US in its first week than any of his other studio albums.

15. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

:agree:

16. Plan9

If Steve had an infinite amount of time, I'd like him to remaster everything! :p

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

This is a coffee company though, isn't it?

18. Plan9

:laugh: :laugh:

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That's grounds for remastering!

:hide:

20. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Sales don't either :shake:

21. Harry Krishner

HAHA ...grounds.

22. Harry Krishner

:thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

23. Plan9

I don't believe Steve would be elitist to that extend.
    Maybe "MAF" is not Macca's best, but still is damn fine, don't you think?

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well this is another confirmation for me that the Beatles remasters will probably not be too hot. Well actually they WILL be too hot.

Sorry to insert a beatles remaster reference. But I would think Paul had some say in the remasters sound.

25. Plan9

Well then let's HOPE he has not lost his hearing! :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.