Harbeth Compact 7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zenny, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenny

zenny New Member Thread Starter

Hello guys

I have a chance to get a pair of Harbeth Compact 7(the original and Non ES version) for around US$1310 including a pair of Sound Anchors stands. I listen to many kinds of music, including alternative pop/rock, jazz and some classical. My room is pretty small, maybe around 7x4m.

I wonder if it is good value for money?

Does anyone know when did the original Compact 7 debut and the difference between the different versions of Compact 7?

2. art

art Senior Member

I can't tell you about the 7's, but I purchased a pair of Super Hl5s, and while they took a while to dial in with the stands and the room, I've never been so "taken in" by any speakers, ever. I listen to everything too. I've heard the 7s and the ES version at a local dealer's home, and, from what I can tell, they have the same sweet mids as the Hl5s. Man, at that price you're getting a steal. And that includes the Sound Anchors? What are you waiting for?

3. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

4. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Radial Driver

I do not believe the original 7 had the Radial mid bass driver.

For what it's worth, there is currently a ES2 (w/ Radial) on Audiogon for 1750.

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The Compact 7s are an excellent choice for small rooms, BTW. And $1350 with stands is not bad. But I agree that you do want to make sure it had the Radial driver in ti. That's what makes the Harbeths so magical.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Great price for a great speaker! Harbeth's have a really wonderful natural sounding midrange, vocals really sound amazing!

7. zenny

I think this model does not have the Radial drivers in it... Still has the magical midrange?

8. cowboy

cowboy New Member

I have the model 2's and love them. Paid 2000.00 for 'em used (although not used much and in mint condition from a dealer) and then another 450.00 for the Sound Anchor stands and feel it was a good deal. With the introduction of the model 3's, I figure used model 2's with be even cheaper. If your interested in Harbeth's and the the one's your looking at do not have the Radial driver, I'd hold out for a good used set of model 2's. (I got mine from Gene Rubin, might check him out)

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Ahhh...one of these days, if Fortune smiles upon me, I shall have a pair of those big, 3-way Harbeths.

It probably doesn't get much better than that, at mortal prices.

10. vinyl anachronist

Monitor 40s? Yes, they are superb...maybe my favorite speakers ever. By the end of the year, they should be back in production.

11. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Here is a link that may be of interest to Harbeth owners.
    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/attachment.php?attachmentid=126&d=1186665353

In case you can't download the newsletter, here are comments on the new M40.1, soon to be released.
    Alan Shaw-Quote
    "This project has been underway for over a year and has ranged through every single aspect of the design. The original objective was quite narrow; to replace the abruptly discontinued VIFA bass unit with a Harbeth designed, Harbeth made woofer. However, as the months progressed, I became deeper and deeper involved with the minute details of the design, and this led to numerous small improvements. So the bass unit is completely new - a 12" first for Harbeth and the midrange driver is a new version featuring a 9 ohm voice coil to keep the system impedance nice and high: a very easy load indeed."

12. Alan

Alan New Member

Interesting, looks like the new Harbeth 40.1 will be a more efficient speaker and easier to drive. Alan Shaw mentioned a 4db sensitivity increase and maybe more than 4 ohms. Vinyl-Addict, are your M40's 4 ohms and 84db sensitivity.
    I've also heard that Harbeth increased prices 10 per cent as of June 1st.

13. Vinyl-Addict

I think you may be a little low on the sensitivity number but 4 ohms is correct. They have quite a flat impedance curve so they're not as hard to drive as some may think. I currently drive mine with a 60 watt/ch. triode amp.

14. Alan

Alan New Member

Vinyl-Addict,
    I'm also using 60 watt/ch. triode mono amps, well two 845 output tubes per amp :) with 4 ohm speakers about 89db sensitivity. Maybe the new M40.1 might be 6 ohms or something, guess we'll have to wait and see.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

List here was already $10,000.00 US. I hope they don't price themselves out of the market.

16. Vinyl-Addict

I doubt it. They can't keep up with orders at the current price and Alan has'nt mentioned anything about a price increase on the new M40. I agree that $10K is borderline questionable but I've heard speakers costing more that did'nt approach their performance. I think the weak dollar is the problem.

17. Alan

Alan New Member

Steve, that's what I was told by the Canadian distributer a few months ago. I'm sure they're great speakers but that puts them about $13K total up here.
    They just keep getting more expensive each year.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, that's too high a price point for the people that could benefit from using them the most; people like home studio/project studio engineers, mastering, etc.

Too bad.

19. Vinyl-Addict

The price is still around $10K in US currency which is where I think it will stay for awhile. I'll see if Mr. Shaw will comment on any future price increase regarding the new M40.

20. zenny

Got the Harbeths in my room now but the speakers are too big for my table.

21. vinyl anachronist

What table? :confused:

22. zenny

Hehe, temporarily on my computer table until I move out. I've got no space for the stands.

23. sab

sab Forum Resident

The original Compact 7 (which I still own) was the first Harbeth to introduce the Radial driver (the prior HL Compact did not).

The differences between that and the ES versions until the new ES3 version are mainly cosmetics (due to changes in cabinet makers).

With respect to the new ES3 version, differences were noted a few issues back in The Absolute Sound- in fact I live close to the reviewer so I brought over one of my C7s for the comparison to be made.

24. Vinyl-Addict

Interesting, There are several changes made from the ES2 to the ES3.

1) A redeveloped version of the radial driver.
    2) A new rubber surround with a smoother profile.
    3) A new open weave tweeter grill.
    4) A completely redesigned crossover from the bottom up.
    5) Port tuning frequency has been adjusted.
    6) Finally, yes, a revised cabinet design with improved internal damping.

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Harbeth makes great speakers, regardless of models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.