Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez New Member Thread Starter

I ordered the cd from Acoustic Sounds today as they still have them in stock. I went to FYE the other day to see if they had a copy as they sometimes carry MFSL stuff like the Zappa one I saw there once. They didn't have it so I got the "Dreams" box set that I have been eyeing for a while. Good stuff on there and the sound is very good. The "Brothers and Sisters" songs on the box set sound a lot better than the 97 remaster but then again none of the 97 remasters sound all that great.

Anyway I will post impressions on "Idlewild South" when I get it in the next few days.

2. Sounds terrific but I have a question. My copy has an indentation on the label side that looks like a very tiny paperclip and I'm wondering if I need to worry about this peeling off in the future/chipping and if it will impact the digital layer underneath.

Should I return it?

By the way, the album sounds brilliant. I compared it to the Drake which also sounds extremely good and I have to give the edge to the Mofi.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

There are a few people on this thread with negative comments on the new packaging.

My views are well known....I hate cardboard (mini LP, digipak, whatever)packaging. I have e-mailed MoFi about this but I am only one person.

Perhaps those who agree could also e-mail them, maybe they'll have a change of heart.

Having said that, I love the new titles MoFi is releasing these days. Every one is a winner IMHO.

4. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I just got mine. Wow. MoFi has had their hits and misses over the years, but this is a hit! Big, open, warm sound. The highs are just crisp enough to put that grin on my face without ever getting bright. I just got done dancing around my room to "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'".

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Idlewild MoFi is on sale for $22.50 at CD Universe

6. You can buy it for about the same price form forum member jonifan incl. free shipping. He offers a 10% discount for SH forum members. I just got mine a little while ago.

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Right.....good point :)

Would rather throw my money his way.
    Though last time I checked his e-bay store was virtually empty.
    Vacation maybe?

8. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

What can I say guys, you've said it all :righton:
    I love this disc.
    Shawn is on a roll here. First Marc Cohn, then Linda Ronstadt - though I confess to not getting this one, but the release got raves here, and now the Allmans. My Little Feat has shipped as well.
    Bring on Permanent Waves. :goodie:

9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I don't think you'll be disappointed by Little Feat!

10. Stormchaser

Stormchaser Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this one. This is one of the best sounding discs I own.

11. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I just received mine from Jonifan, and I was surprised how low the number was.....under 300.

I haven't busted it open yet, but I will soon... unless I buy another one from Jonifan to use as a playing copy and keep this one sealed.

12. serj

serj Forum Resident

Yesterday i received my copy.. Wonderful sound but very uncomfortable packaging. Give me back the good old traditional MFSL jewel case:(

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:righton:

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Are you referring to the MOFI version?

15. Stormchaser

Stormchaser Forum Resident

I am indeed. I should qualify my statement by saying that this may be the best sounding non hi-rez disc that I own.

16. therockman

I really have had no previous experience with this title before I purchased this title on the MFSL label, I am not impressed with it really. But without any previous experience I have nothing to compare it to. Sonically it seems lackluster.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the first Allman Bros. recordings were never an audiophile pleasure, but compared against the Suha Gur remaster.... the Mofi sounds marvelous :righton:

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I just got this disc. I also have an original LP I bought the year it was originally released and which I have played to death--never having gotten any other CD version.

As noted, it never was a sonic masterpiece, but the MFSL CD seems to clean it up wonderfully while retaining the original tonality. I must say it was weird to hear "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" without the inner groove distortion I've been used to for years!

John K.

19. therockman

Thank you very much. I now know that what I am listening to is about "as good as it gets" for this title.

20. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I've got an early Atco LP pressing and the Dennis Drake mastered "Beginnings" two-fer for comparison. I agree with John K.'s assessment about the MFSL version. You can really notice the improved clarity, separation & tonality with the drums/percussion, in addition to the guitar sound & vocals. Even Gregg's B-3 comes through better in the mix.

21. I have now listened to the MFSL CD a couple of times, and also did some more listening with my WG Polydor CD (Dennis Drake mastering).

All in all, the MFSL CD is certainly a well done mastering. It sounds nice, and I didn't notice any funky EQ choices either. In comparison to the Drake CD, it sounds a tad duller (but not muffled) and has a little fuller bass. It also sounds noticeably louder, without actually sounding much compressed. I think it might be more related to the signature sound of the Gain II system.

I can't really say for sure whether I like the MFSL CD better than the old WG Polydor version. The latter has a very relaxed and smooth sound, and I also think it is slightly more dynamic.

I will definitely keep both, and both are nice sounding masterings. I will have to do some more listening to find out which version I like better on my listening system.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  22. After some more listening, also comparing in detail all tracks on the album, I think I tend to give the nod to the MFSL. It is indeed a nice mastering. The tracks which fade out also run a few seconds longer on the MFSL (2 or 3 seconds).

The WG Polydor is still a great sounding CD, but for the moment my preferred copy is the MFSL.

What a great album this is, not a weak track on it.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

No, there's not a weak track on it, but I surprised myself when I listened to it again recently when I came to the conclusion that there's only three essential cuts to be found in my opinion: The opening track, "Midnight Rider" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." And I'm not even sure that last one is better in its studio form than the Fillmore version.

I've come to the conclusion that I like their first album better.

24. In addition to the three tracks you mentioned, I also REALLY like Please Call Home and especially Leave My Blues at Home.

I find the first album suffers from the recording quality, especially on a track like Whipping Post.

I personally rate Idlewild South higher than their debut, but both are good, and I can see if someone prefers the first album.

25. P.S.:

What we really need is that MFSL also releases the first album as an Ultradisc. Now that would be nice...

The original WG Polydor CD doesn't use the original mix, the Suha Gur remaster uses the original mix, but I don't like how it sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.