The very LEAST frequently covered Beatles songs, and examples of covers of them.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm wondering, out of all of the original Beatles tunes, which ones have thus far been the very LEAST frequently covered by others over the years??

AND, (and this part is just as key), what are some good, bad, or "otherwise" examples of covers of those "least frequently covered" Beatles songs??

You probably all have better ideas on this subject than I do, so I'll just start this thread, and see where it goes...

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Cry Baby Cry - Richard Barone
    Cry For A Shadow - Translator

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Revolution #9-Phish(live)

Evan

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Carry that Weight- Trash

5. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Madonna does an original version of a song titled "RAIN" and borrows a few bars of George's "Here Comes The Sun"! PS. Sorry it is not a complete by any means cover but thought interesting nevertheless.

6. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Mark DeCerbo covers "Hold Me Tight" on his CD "Baby's Not In The Mood."

J. D.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know Karl Wallinger of World Party recorded a note perfect cover of Happiness Is A Warm Gun, but I don't know if he ever released it.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yes, it's on a US promo cd, among other places. He also did Martha My Dear, which is rarely covered.

My choice would be Cry Baby Cry, which has been covered by Richard Barone (ex-Bongos), and it's great. Just voice, acoustic guitar, percussion, cello, and a small electric guitar solo.

9. edised

edised Forum Resident

I think he's recorded quite a few Beatles, note perfect covers !
    I read somewhere that he re-recorded the whole Sgt. Pepper album.
    I know his versions of Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love, some were available on his web site at some point.
    I'd like to hear "Happiness"

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Penny Lane is on a UK EP along with Dylan's Sweetheart Like you and John's #9 Dream. Great collection.

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

This song was also covered by U2 (B-Sides disc of 1990-2000 collection)

How about Gregg Allman's cover of "Rain" from the "Dreams" box set?

12. edised

edised Forum Resident

13. UK shoegazers Chapterhouse did a cover of "Rain" that turned up on a b-side, and Pixies spinoff the Breeders covered "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on their first album. Although, given the other examples, perhaps the latter isn't really such an infrequently covered Beatles song after all!

The obscure benefit album Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father, a cover of a certain Beatles LP by various circa-'88 hipsters, featured great covers of "Lovely Rita" by Michelle Shocked and "Getting Better" by the Wedding Present, both of which rival the originals (and perhaps exceed the original, in the latter case). This is also where Sonic Youth's amazing "Within You Without You" cover first turned up, and I don't think that song's been covered often either.

14. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I hate to toot my own horn, but I did cover a few lesser heard Beatles tunes on my BLUE SUBURBAN SKIES cd. One that I am particularly happy with is Paul's LOVE IN THE OPEN AIR for two classical guitars, and as far as Beatles' tunes go, not too many people have done FOR NO ONE (I did mine with a nod to the Cure). Here is a cdbaby link for those who are interested:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cclause

I'd be curious to know what you think! I apologize for the lo-fi sound samples but what can you do?

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Also covered by Throwing Muses on an early EP of theirs.

A recent oddity I ran across is a 45 by the Underground Sunshine containing a cover of "Birthday."

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"Within You Without You"--covered by Big Daddy (along with the rest of Sgt. Pepper). Brilliantly done as beat poetry, complete with bongos.

[​IMG]

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Also covered by Sonic Youth and Oasis on different Sgt. Pepper tribute albums, which by this point constitute a rock subgenre in their own right.

18. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Also by The Shazam on a CD called "Rev 9"

19. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

The Sunshine Company - "I Need You"

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Help me: Back in the middle to late 1960's a group on Columbia/Epic covered "I'll Be Back". I think the group had a girl lead singer. The song had strings, etc. It was the lead kick off track on a widely distributed Columbia various artists promo LP that we all had for 99 cents or something. (Because it had the Cryin' Shames song on it).

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Also covered by The Treasures in 1964 (produced by Phil Spector).

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This single actually reached the Billboard Top 30 (#26) and received a fair amount of AM radio airplay.

I haven't heard it since it was out...and I'm just as glad...I recall it being pretty awful!

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

You sure you're not thinking of The Buckinghams' version, Steve? Seems to me they did put that on one of those Columbia promo LPs.

It was a cut from their Time and Changes album.

24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

.....................Just be glad you did not hear their entire album. Picked it up at a junk store several decades back. YEEECCH!

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm not sure if they ever released it, but my power pop friends from the Detroit area, The Phenomenal Cats, did a wonderful acoustic version of "It's All Too Much" several years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.