Weather Channel background music for "Local on the 8s"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I found a posting in the Archives about music used on the Weather Channel for the "Local on the 8s" forecast and some of the well known tracks that have been used for the background music.

Yesterday, I saw this CD advertised on the Weather Channel and found the following on Amazon. It appears it was just released a week ago.

Has anyone else checked this CD out? If so, what is it like?

Weather Channel Presents: Best of Smooth Jazz

1. Mildred's Attraction - Joyce Cooling
    2. Shakin Up The Shack - Dave Koz
    3. Bab Bad Simba - Paprika Soul
    4. Viaduct - Four 80 East
    5. Santa Monica Triangle - Jeff Lorber
    6. Ocean View - Pieces Of A Dream
    7. Windows - Chick Corea
    8. Simple Pleasure - Jeanne Ricks
    9. Holding Hands - Ryan Farish
    10. Wait A Minute - Mark Krumowski
    11. Sidewayz - Najee
    12. The Gift - 3rd Force

History of Music on The Weather Channel

People who keep an eye on the weather also have an ear for music, judging from the huge number of inquiries from viewers of The Weather Channel, who have been asking "where can I get that music I just heard?" That's why a CD of "Local on the 8s" music from The Weather Channel is being presented. For the very first time, fans and admirers of the music have an opportunity to have their own compilation of many favorites.

Seven years ago, The Weather Channel stepped up its efforts to select music that viewers would enjoy. The responsibility was assigned to a network producer who had what some would call a "dream job" - spending hour after hour at music stores finding songs and artists that were right for The Weather Channel audience. Soon, viewers began to take notice of the fresh and contemporary sound of the new musical selections on The Weather Channel. The on-air music was well-received. Some people said that they kept the network on all day to stay in touch with the weather as well as to enjoy the music in the background.

Four years ago, the producer further refined the music "playlist" by scheduling different types of sounds during different parts of the day. For example, during the daytime, the music is light and upbeat. Moving into the evening, the selections have a slower tempo and are more sultry. And then they become even more mellow during the late night.

This blend of the many moods of jazz is captured on our first CD of "Local on the 8s." Out of over 3,000 songs that have been played over the years during local weather on The Weather Channel, we are proud to bring you a collection of favorites on our "Smooth Jazz" release.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/42878-sky-blue-sky

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I recall them using Brubeck's "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" on occasion as well.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm a big Weather Channel fan; and some of the music on Local On The 8s is great.

If you go their website, you can access an archive that will tell you what music was used in specific months.

I've heard Pink Floyd, Pat Metheny, all kinds of great artists on there. Not strictly smooth jazz music.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i could have sworn i heard a muzak version of "tweezer" from phish on there one time.....

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I have also heard the instrumental break for "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" by The Stones.

7. Jose Jones

...the drowsy opener "Either Way" sleepwalks through a list of indecisive sentiments ("maybe you love me, maybe you don't") before breaking for a Cline solo that's straight-up Weather Channel Local on the 8s....

I don't care what Pitchfork says, I love that track. My prediction is that in a few years "Sky Blue Sky" will be viewed much like "John Wesley Harding" - a retreat to a simpler approach to music after more experimental trilogy of Summerteeth-Yankee-Ghost Is Born.

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

For better or for worse, and I lean toward the latter, The Weather Channel's use of "Songbird" by Kenny G on its "Local on the 8s" in 1986-87 helped to make that song a hit on Top 40 radio. TWC used that as background music several months before it became a hit.

Also, every Christmas season for at least the last several years, TWC has used A Charlie Brown Christmas music from the Vince Guaraldi Trio as its "Local on the 8s" music.

9. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

I've heard the beginning of "Stash" on the Weather on the 8's one time.

10. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

As well as The "Linus & Lucy" theme from many a Charlie Brown Special,as well as "The In-Crowd" from The Ramsey Lewis Trio. Michael Boyce

11. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I have heard one of Moby's instrumentals from the Play album.

12. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

REM's "Winged Mammal Theme" played for about 6 months back in the late 90s.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

John Wesley Harding actually features good songs. :p

14. Jose Jones

And no pointless noise, drones, bleeps, squeaks and feedback. :p

15. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I remember hearing "Elizabeth Reed" several years ago, and just about falling off my chair.

And, of course, I missed the forecast.....

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I bought a Mark Isham CD after hearing "On the Threshold of Liberty" used on the Weather Channel, quite some time ago.

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?" stunned me too.

P.S. I was a "Weather Weenie" (TWC's own term for hardcore fans) for several years, tuning in for hours a day, but they've made too many changes in the format. Also, they never adopted my suggested slogan: "The Weather Channel--we dig snow, and rain, and bright sunshine!"

17. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you're a Ben Folds fan, seek out his Songs For Goldfish EP. There's a cut on it called, "Weather Channel Music" (actually he refers to it on the recording as "Weather Channel Shi*"), taped during a show I saw at Dickenson College. Cool little diversion!

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Not to derail this thread any further but you are thinking of "A Ghost Is Born." You won't find any noise, drones, bleeps...etc on "Sky Blue Sky."

Every time I hear Sky Blue Sky by Wilco, I am so impressed by the depth and quality of the songwriting. I've liked Jeff's songs since Uncle Tupelo and A.M. and I believe SBS is their best so far.

Back to the Weather Channel topic...

Some other Phish songs that I've heard during the "Local On The 8's"...

You Enjoy Myself (after the drum block tap where Page's piano kicks in Vince Guaraldi style)
    All Things Reconsidered
    If I Could
    Fhat
    Theme From The Bottom
    First Tube
    Tweezer (reprise)
    Guyute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.