Superscope A-260 questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I bought a Marantz-Superscope A-260 integrated amp yesterday at a thrift shop. It works perfectly, and matches up well with my AR 4x speakers, even at only 35w. I don't have a manual, and the picture below is from an Ebay ad. My questions are:

What is the "inter coupled" switch for on the back of the unit? It's set in the "on" postition with a protector that is screwed on, telling me that it's not for ordinary usage.

Also, how does the "Quadra Phase" work? Is it fake quadrophonic?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jerry

Here's the back:

Attached Files:

3. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Cool retro looking receiver!

I don't know anything about that amp, but my guess is that the inter coupled switch bridges the main in and pre out internally so that it functions as one, and by switching it off, you can use a separate preamp with your Superscope as an amplifier.

And I think it's a simulated quadrophonic since the input is 2 channel analog.

- Sushimaster

Robin L likes this.
  4. doodlebug

doodlebug Member

The Sushimaster is correct on both points.

I'd recommend you clean the contacts on that Intercoupled switch, too. They're likely in need of it as are all the other controls and switches.

On the Quadraphase thing, look up Dynaco's DynaQuad for a discussion on the what this did. Essentially, its a poor-man's way of obtaining out-of-phase sound from existing 2-channel material. Don't worry about this day and age.....you've got plenty of 5.1/7.1 systems floating around instead.

Cheers,

David

Robin L and McLover like this.
  5. Jerry

Thanks David! That makes sense. I googled "inter coupled" and "Quadra Phase" but got little help.

I guess I won't look for another 2 AR4x's since its phony quad. Not that it was easy finding AR4x's to begin with!

The Superscope is retro looking. I guess these were made in Japan by the Standard company IIRC for both Sony & Marantz. The tone control & balance faders are the same as the 70's Marantz receivers, and I'm told that the A-260's weren't too popular because of the pink function lighting, although they specs were decent and it is more powerful than I expected. Less than 1% distortion, too. And this little guy is damn heavy. Set me back $3.75!

6. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Just picked up the Superscope and a Pioneer SX-440 receiver. Both around 1970 I guess. Just looking to match up a JVC JL-F50 turntable. Boy does that Superscope sound good. Really good punchy bass response. The Pioneer sounds pretty lifeless against it. Might have to swap out the Rotel integrated amp and try it with the Pro-ject Xpression. Wondered if anyone else out there uses a really old amp with newer gear.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, SuperScope was made by Standard Radio of Japan (You know them best as Marantz Japan, which they became). They made wonderful gear. And yes, that switch uncouples preamp and power amp so you can use this integrated as a preamplifier/control amplifier with a power amplifier. SuperScope was then owned by the Tushinsky brothers. Who purchased the Marantz Company from Saul Marantz in 1964 and were previously the importers of Sony Tape Recorders to the USA. You have an excellent little integrated amplifier. And it is superbly matched to the AR4x speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.