Greatest Hits albums that don't have the actual hit versions on them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The Eddie Money "Two Tickets To Paradise" thread (with the non-hit version on the Greatest Hits album) makes me wonder what other blatant blunders have been done on Greatest Hits albums. Either the non-hit versions or a different mix or even a different performance.

I don't really mean longer versions of the exact same mix that was on the 45 but just edited, I mean really screwy, with a different mix, lead guitar, different vocals, etc. Like "MR. SOUL" on the Buffalo Springfield second album; that's a good example; different stuff on the 45 only, same for the TJB "TIJUANA TAXI", Beatles "From Me To You" on the Red Album and on and on..

Joe Cocker's "The Letter" was recorded in the studio for the hit version. Where the hell is that on any comp?

I know that PETER, PAUL & MARY'S GREATEST HITS (10 Years Together) has the wrong version of "If I Had A Hammer" on it. They used the slow LP version instead of the up-tempo 45 RPM hit version that I had forgotten all about until a Forum member reminded me.

Sam Cooke's "Good Times" is another example of the wrong version being used on all Hits albums, LP and CD.

On my 1980's "foreign" CD of PAT BENATAR'S BEST it has the limpy album version of "We Live For Love" on it; urggh..

Doors Greatest Hits comps always have the wrong mix of "Touch Me", etc. on them.

SHE BOP by Cyndi Lauper, the 45 "hit version" was never even on an album OR CD, right?

Any others? I am sure there are many.

2. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Should I mention "Help!" before anybody else? (Commonly issued stereo version has the wrong vocal.)

Hall & Oates - "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" is usually reissued in its longer, weaker album mix.

Then there's that Simon & Garfunkel hits compilation with all those lame live renditions segued into studio tracks. Annoyed the hell out of me to the point that I compiled the unfettered hit versions onto a spool for our radio station library.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They put the wrong Dreamboat Annie on Heart's greatest ( they put the reprise), and while not a "hit", they used the wrong mix of Running With The Devil on Van Halen's Best Of.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 45 version of She Bop is on the 12 Deadly Cyns CD.

Spazaru likes this.
  5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I'm not sure if Junior's Farm radio edit was the actual US hit (now on Wingspan).

6. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

I remember the first issue of "Paul Revere And The Raiders's Greatest Hits"
    on Columbia Lp had a "live" version of "Louie,Louie".

Not the studio recording that was released on Jerden Records.

7. BradOlson

The Beach Boys Endless Summer Capitol LP and CD version is blundered but the DCC version fixed it up.

8. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones 3 CD "London Years" SACD hybrid has an underdub of "Ruby Tuesday".

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Heh, thanks, Brad. I truly forgot about that.

10. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

Billy Preston's "That's The Way God Planned It" always turns up on greatest hits comps as a live version, not the studio hit track. :( .
    Dave

11. BradOlson

On Amy Grant's Greatest Hits 1986-2004's main CD, they used an edit of the Heart In Motion LP version instead of one of the 45 mixes, but on the bonus disc that came with A&M CDs of the comp, they used the Body and Soul 45 mix used in the music video.

12. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Would the alternative versions on Donovan's Greatest Hits count? 'Catch The Wind' and 'Colours', though re-recorded were inferior, but for "legal reasons"...

13. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

For years, ever since the 1969 "Greatest Hits" album, the Monkees' "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" appeared on compilation after compilation without the prominent handclaps featured on the original hit single.

14. clairehuxtable

Also on ABKCO, The Dee Dee Sharp compilation has a different of version of "Slow Twistin'" with her taking the lead and Chubby Checker doing the backup. The Chubby Checker comp has the hit version with the roles reversed.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

John Lennon - Shaved Fish.

A snippet of Give Peace A Chance and Happy Xmas (War Is Over) has an ending ruined with that horrible segue of the 1972 concert version of Give Peace A Chance.

What was ol' Johnny thinking?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. BradOlson

Yep.

17. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Carolina in my Mind (IIRC) was re-done for James Taylor's Greatest Hits.

18. clairehuxtable

A few other comps that use re-recorded versions are John Denver's "Greatest Hits" ("Sunshine On My Shoulders" is one of them), Kate Bush's "The Whole Story (she re-recorded the vocals to "Wuthering Heights") and Gordon Lightfoot's "Gord's Gold".

19. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

I wasn't very familiar with England Dan & John Ford Coley's hits when I was chosen to master thier greatest hits album for CD.

And I judiciously went through their catalog to locate the best sounding source material I could find for the project/release.

When I finally thought I had the best sounding AND appropriate versions for my re-compilation of the album, I A-B'd my best sounding sources with the original (for vinyl) release.

I was floored. So many of my songs/sources WERE NOT the same as the ones on the tape source for vinyl. AND, I then found/felt that the compiled for vinyl tape's sources sounded (mostly) darned good. What I had compiled from afresh were different takes, mixes, whathaveyou.

I was a bit dismayed having spent so much time, much of it for nothing...except that I was now assured that :

1), the exactly same releases were used for the CD as those on the vinyl,

2), I found the best sounding sources available (I DID end up using some of what I found NOT from the assembled tape used for vinyl), and

3), this tape assembled for vinyl MIGHT have been mixed ( I think it was) off the master multi-tacks SPECIFICLLY for the vinyl release. AND

4), I DON'T think it was an eq'd for vinyl tape, but a master, mixed specifically for the release, which HAPPENED to be for vinyl, and so,

5)it was really fine for the CD release!!!

You never know...you never know...

20. posieflump

posieflump New Member

The only real problem for me being that I genuinely much prefer the album versions of the two songs for which Steve substituted the single versions.

Not that it bothers me that greatly: I don't remember the last time I listened to a Beach Boys Greatest Hits compilation. Actually, yes I do. I was lent a radio promo of the most recent one, with the stereo remix of "Please Let Me Wonder" at slightly the wrong speed. I didn't buy it.

Tangent over. As you were, folks.

21. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Help Me Rhonda...there are two versions....

22. BradOlson

The same with Be True To Your School. What Capitol used on their CD of Endless Summer for these 2 tracks are the album versions and Steve substituted them with the single versions on the DCC gold disc.

23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Do those Johnny Rivers comps also fit this thread? Seems like all of them use the Whiskey A Go Go performances, but was that the case with the original single versions? I'm talking about songs like Midnight Special, Seventh Son and Secret Agent Man.

24. I'm thinking the first singles from Howard Jone's debut album don't match the greatest hits versions.

You can also extend this to those hits that came from the uk and didn't even appear on singles or the records. Frankie Goes To Hollywood has tunes that I remember from the radio that didn't appear.

And, you got those versions that were for the videos and don't match anything else. The Who's Imminent Front and Athena were definitely mixed differently. I'm not even sure what the hits were, the video edit, the radio edit, the club edit. Aaagh!

25. BradOlson

Yes, the Whisky a Go Go performances are the correct versions. BTW, they are not live recordings but studio recordings overdubbed with canned applause, just like Jimmy Reed At Carnegie Hall consists of high quality remakes of his greatest hits made back when he was still at the top of his game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.