Talk Talk - From "It's My Life" to "Colour of Spring"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nelamvr6, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

So that'll be your Top 3 then? :D

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Why am I not surprised, Mark? ;) Welcome indeed.

I still can recall you gleefully ripping the cellophane off a copy of Acka Dacka and cueing up "Hells Bells" at CES. No noodly audiophile music for this bloke - pretty much emptied the room, though.

3. caliburn

caliburn New Member

Counting

"son their are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't" - Famous Australian Philosopher - Rod Quantock

I laughed too!

Mark

4. caliburn

caliburn New Member

Thanks

Hi Geoff, I remember this one too! Peter Denisenko found a copy of Back in Black in the Composers from OZ section at the Fine Purveyors of Classical Music at CES and we couldn't help ourselves. Once we regained our composure we returned to a steady programme of Norah Jones and Celine Dion! ;-)

I might be a bit controversial for being an ACDC fan but I can mix it up with other genres. Last week I saw the Royal Australian Ballet perform The Nutcracker Suite and enjoyed the sound of the orchestra from great seats in the stalls in the Victorian State Theatre (my 7yo daughter was with me enjoying the whole experience as well). I make sure I see the many chamber orchestras that play locally.

I still rave about Miles Davis live at the Concert Hall in May 88, Kraftwerk live at the Metro, NZ Dub Electronica outfit Pitch Black at the Corner Hotel (last Friday till 2AM), any band who play the Palais in St.Kilda (Emmylou Harris, Chris Isaaks, Brian Ferry, Crosby Stills and Nash, Simply Red, Simple Minds etc) because of the great acoustics in the old wooden opera hall.

I would have given a left !@%#$ to hear Talk Talk play in a sympathetic live environment so LP will have to do. Some lucky souls in this thread got to see them live.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'm nuts enough on Talk Talk to have weighed in. Nice to be among friends!

Cheers
    Mark

5. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Veering a bit off course but, is Mark Hollis still living? (Ok, I know he is but...)
    What the heck happened to him? Where did he go? Why isn't he making music anymore? Anyone have a clue?

6. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Or II - those who understand Roman numerials and those who don't

Or 10 - those that understand binary and those who don't

:)

7. fac51x

fac51x New Member

He has supposedly retired from the music business which is a shame - a Talk Talk reunion is something I'd LOVE to see!

Wikipedia says so; so it must be true

8. bellwether

bellwether New Member

You may be right, I know they played some Colour of Spring tunes that night and had dumped their new romantic look by then.

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Wonderful band. and Colour of Spring was excellent.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, thanks for such a great post. I agree with everything you've written especially about friese-greene....I also love his work on Catherine Wheel.

11. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

from wiki....

There are two CD issues in existence. The original U.K. version cross-fades "After The Flood" into "Taphead"; the U.S. version does not, and contains a brief, untitled instrumental fragment — originally found at the beginning of side 2 of the LP/cassette version — preceding "Taphead".
    interesting reading the wiki "Laughing Stock" page....I did not know....Laughing Stock was rated the eleventh-best album of the 1990s by Pitchfork Media.

another bit

Critical reception
    Reviews of the album were generally good; many tended to emphasise the fact that it spanned several genres, with some noting a stylistic kinship with Miles Davis' contemplative In a Silent Way album. Like Spirit of Eden, the lyrical themes are often religious. The album is widely considered a key influence, and along with predecessor one of the first records that could be described into the post-rock genre. Laughing Stock has consistently risen in critical opinion ever since post-rock became a dominant form of avant-garde during the 90s.

i know we're talking about earlier albums, but all five of their albums have great things about them and topping off with Marks solo album, wow. what a short but amazing body of work!

12. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

I'd have posted this in the other thread but it's archived -- no replies allowed. My version of Laughing Stock is yet another mastering, different from the two already detailed there. It matches the times given in Ferenc Rozsa's discography for all the UK/European versions (nice format on that discography by the way :)) and crossfades "After The Flood" and "Taphead" as the Wikipedia entry claims the UK version does. The graphics match those on this Discogs entry.

Verve/Polydor 847 717-2 (Europe [BIEM STEMRA])
    Mfd: PDO (assumed from appearance); Matrix: 847 717-2 01 >; silver hub stamped, MADE IN GERMANY
    Track 1 - Peak 41.2 % - 05:33+32
    Track 2 - Peak 85.6 % - 06:00+68
    Track 3 - Peak 99.5 % - 09:26+70
    Track 4 - Peak 86.4 % - 07:01+12
    Track 5 - Peak 88.5 % - 09:46+33
    Track 6 - Peak 45.9 % - 04:58+42

The other two were (reproduced here for easier comparison):

Verve 847 717-2 (Canada)
    Mfd: Cinram; Matrix: #910924DD 847717-2
    Track 1 - Peak 31.1 % - 05:15+72
    Track 2 - Peak 59.0 % - 05:59+73
    Track 3 - Peak 65.6 % - 09:42+72
    Track 4 - Peak 53.4 % - 07:38+50
    Track 5 - Peak 60.6 % - 09:40+13
    Track 6 - Peak 32.6 % - 04:57+50

Polydor 847 717-2 (US)
    Mfd: UML; Matrix: 847 717 2 39@; clear hub
    Track 1 - Peak 48.2 % - 05:32+68
    Track 2 - Peak 91.3 % - 05:59+55
    Track 3 - Peak 100.0% - 09:38+35
    Track 4 - Peak 82.7 % - 07:39+17
    Track 5 - Peak 93.9 % - 09:40+18
    Track 6 - Peak 50.6 % - 04:57+47

I'll have to pick up a NA copy next time I see one. I think I'll shoot for the US version rather than the Canadian, though...it's a quiet enough album without being cranked down by another third in the mastering!

13. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

It is hard for a amateur like me to understand how they could all end up with timings so different from one another.
    If I understand it correctly, it means the Canadian (43:21) and the American (43:28) masterings include that little instrumental segment somewhere between After The Flood et Taphead, while the UK version (42:44) is stripped of it.
    Correct?

14. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Correct.

Given where the band was at that point in their career (i.e., suing their previous label over creative-control issues) the segue in the UK CD mastering would almost certainly have been intentional. It makes sense in the context of the album, as there's no LP/CS side break to contend with. But the only way to know for sure would be to find an interview somewhere Hollis actually discusses it.

The shorter Track 1 on the Canadian version is just a stupid mistake. The first 0:15 or so of the track is Hollis' guitar amp idling down around -50db or so. Whoever mastered the Canadian CD assumed it was silence and just trimmed it out.

15. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Any feedback on Heligoland?
    Trying to decide if I should spend the $ just to get a Talk TAlk fix...

Cody

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I have the US Polydor and have never heard any other version. Where is this instrumental fragment supposed to be, exactly? All I hear is the extended ending of "After the Flood", and then the guitar intro of "Taphead".

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I just heard the UK version and can answer my own question: the time difference is all due to the crossfade on the UK version. There is no instrumental fragment to be heard on the US version.

As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure that when I looked at that Wikipedia entry two years ago, it clearly stated that the fragment was only on the vinyl and cassette versions. Someone changed it since then and added incorrect info about the US CD.

18. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I just ordered the remastered versions of The Partys over, It's My Life, Spirit Of Eden, Colour Of Spring, and Laughing Stock..But,how is Sides and B Sides? I guess it is a limited 2 cd set of b sides,remixes, unreleased,etc??

19. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Asides Bsides includes the b-sides, some of the 12" remixes, and few demos from their first album. Frustratingly, it does *not* include the US 12" mix of "It's My Life", which is the definitive version IMHO. It has the anemic, randomly-hit-the-track-mute-and-solo-buttons UK 12" mix instead. Other than that, it's a decent compilation.

20. Mike the Fish

I'm not a big talk talk man, but I bought Asides and Besides last year and I like it. It runs according to UK releases, and the demos that Graham referred to appeared on a double pack 7" over here. He's right about It's My Life - the US 12" mix is far superior, the UK one is verging (IMHO) on a waste of time. However, they have picked the more limited release (in the UK anyway) 12" mix of Life's What You Make It, which is much better than the standard UK 12".

21. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

get asides/bsides if simply to own "it's getting late in the evening"...a haunting track that is a must have IMO

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Thanks..Really getting a kick out of their music!!

23. Mike the Fish

Good track. B-side of Life's What You Make It, if you fancy just tracking down that tune.

24. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

This thread got me looking for Talk Talk (so thanks for that), and today I found an early EMI "blackface" CD of It's My Life. It's a Swindon-manufactured UK release, same cat# as the previously-discussed "bad" German CD. Haven't had a chance to listen to it on a revealing system yet, so meanwhile I thought I'd clarify that this is not the bad mastering found on the German EMI CD. Anyone know?

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I have a question about the album Missing Pieces. All the descriptions I've read say it's a compilation of Laughing Stock-era A- and B-sides. What I'm wondering is, does this contain the snippet between "After the Flood" and "Taphead" that is missing from the CD version of LS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.