The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan909

alan909 Member Thread Starter

I've read on another audio forum about a method for cleaning vinyl using wood glue (of all things). Has anyone here actually tried this? I am very eager to try it, but I don't want to attempt it on a "good" record. I also wonder if it would have any negative affects on the stylus?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You mean the wood glue would work much like a wax poured on the record and you peel it off?

Not in this lifetime!

The Pinhead and JazzPolice like this.
  3. alan909

alan909 Member Thread Starter

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No.

There are two common contaminant types, water and alcohol soluble. Both can be removed quite quickly in a VPI. Any decent wet/brush/dry method would be perfect.

Waiting for glue to dry, not knowing what's left on there - There are better ways, my friend!

JazzPolice likes this.
  5. xman

xman Active Member

Your better off with a fresh roll of Scotch's Magic Tape if you are going that route. The key word here is fresh. It will pull off anything that is not on the pressing without residue. MHPO

6. www.records

www.records Active Member

It seems like "Scotch" would be the key word.:winkgrin:

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I use this method on 45s that have been sleeveless for a while and have impacted dirt in the grooves that standard washing could not remove.

Evan Guest, Greenalishi and druboogie like this.
  8. I'm still trying to find a way to get ground in dirt out of older 45s, since the glue idea worked about half for me. Short of buying a Loricraft, which supposedly can get otherwise hard to get out dirt removed, I'm not sure what else to try. I know a lot of 45s have groove damage, but I suspect that dirt on the bottom of the wide mono grooves causes the stylus to not be able to trace the groove walls well, which in turn causes noise.

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. Duggeh

Duggeh Forum Resident

I've used this technique. It requires patience, lots of it. And a fair bit of practice, so start off with old filthy records in case you end up making a mistake like using far too much glue.

It does work though, really really well when you get it right. Just make sure you use plain water based PVA glue.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Wouldn't liquid latex make more sense?

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO!!! it may eat away at the vinyl if you leave any behind...Crazy.

12. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Works really great on Carpenters albums as well as the Stones Sticky Fingers.
    >
    >
    >
    :hide:

Greenalishi, MGW, displayname and 3 others like this.
  13. Michael

Carpenters:biglaugh:

ElvisRocks and Carolyn_AudioFlea like this.
  14. Michael

all glues should be avoided...residue can really screw up vinyl...years ago I experimented with many different mediums to clean my vinyl...ruined many a junk record!:laugh:

15. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

If you "clean" several LPs at a time, don't stack them!

16. 12ax7

12ax7 New Member

Oh, I don't know... I cleaned all of my ex's disco records that way... Worked great!!!

17. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

Very good 12ax7! :D

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

We had an earlier thread on this. I've tried it, and it works. Nice thing is that the glue adheres to the dirt and gets out crud that machine cleaning can't touch. I tried it on an A&M half-speed LP that had a bit of noise (which had been machine cleaned) and it is much better. Wood glue is water-based, so there's no residue or harmful chemicals. Make sure it's on thick enough, though: if it is too thin, it won't lift out as a sheet. It's not something to knock if you've never tried it, IOW.

19. renatov

renatov Forum Resident

20. Duggeh

Duggeh Forum Resident

I've done it many times with old filthy unloved LPs that I've got out of charity shops. It works well, it works especially well on particularly filthy LPs but it takes a lot of patience and you can ruin the label if you aren't careful. It can also be irritating if you end up with little flecks of glue left over on the outer or inner edge.

I wouldn't ever risk doing it with an expensive LP.

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I've heard of this technique for years, but I never had the nerve to try it. Maybe I'll buy a $.79 Goodwill Shop LP and give it a shot.

22. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

If you get a good 'peel' that's all one piece you could play it on your turntable... from the label outward... so it would play backwards... Sorry, I've been sniffing Elmers... ;)

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm skeptical of this for one big reason. Glue will adhere to some dirt and grime but I find that enzymes and surfactants are needed to really remove the tougher grime buried in the groove. This also looks very time consuming.

25. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

don't you wind up needing to store and maintain such a huge quantity of wood glue (plus disposing of same) that it winds up cheaper and easier to get a VPI record cleaner after about a year or so?

William Bryant and BroX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.