Little River Band: 36 All-Time Greatest Hits. How is it??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Holy Batman and Robin...i-Tunes really does have the wrong version available. Somebody's head at CAPITOL will be rolling once the new owners of the LRB namesake hear about this, I bet?

Chris C

2. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Yeah,like our $125 is going to EMI!
    On the same subject does anyone still have the insert that came with the Rhino 2 CD set advertising a "Special Offer" offering a CD containing LRB "Rarities" it was to include "rare outtakes,unreleased b-sides and some stunning live material with suprise guests" All you had to do was send in the postcard and Rhino would let you know when the CD was available.
    I quoted the card..."unreleased b-sides"...huh!
    Anyway I guess this CD never got past this postcard stage.

JF

3. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

In no way is this set full of filler, its pretty good value regardless of sound quality. You get most of the important hits as well some of the great songs of the overlooked Farnham era. As it is the LRB catalgoue is very unlikely to get a decent treatment as they are a complete legal mess. So this is probably a good way to get a bit deeper into their stuff at a decent price.

I would bet that it also has the unedited version of It's a Long Way There, just have a feeling viewing the track listing they would have used the album cuts

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Oh that's funny as hell!!! After all that!

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was all primed to get that CD from RHINO, but it never happened. It's been so long ago now, I can't remember what excuse they gave me, when I inquired about it. Back in the days before the internet ruled and Dr. Hand was really a doctor! :laugh: I'm sure that it would have included all of the material that's on my, "Too Late To Load" CD. But...just like a tootsie pop, the world may never know how many licks it takes to get to the middle...

Chris C

6. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Holy smokes. It turns out that my copy of the 2000 version of GH is one of those with the rare mixes. This description made me curious, so I sat down last night to give it a spin. Never played this puppy much, so it's only now that I discover this.
    Most of these alternate mixes don't work IMO, though I kind of like the added heavy guitar on the choruses of The Night Owls. It also does have a longer version of Playing to win (supposedly the 12" version) that's not available on the original album - and maybe nowhere else. For me, that's the real gem me on here.

So I guess I will keep this one just for the rarity of it. Otherwise it's just an overblown mess. The original GH, though with less tracks, is much better sounding.

7. Hawkman

Sorry, but Take It Easy On Me does NOT work unless Glenn Shorrock is singing it. Just my Humble O, but that's that.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  8. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey, guys. I got Little River Band's '36 All Time Greatest Hits' in the mail today and I've got some good news.

First of all, the sound is warm and dynamic. I can't compare it to the original vinyl, having never heard it, but to my ears it sounds really good. It's definitely light years better than the horrible Expanded Greatest Hits remaster from 2000.

And, yes, 'It's A Long Way There' is the 8 minute plus version!

9. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Congrats, voicebug. Considering that it's OK sound-wise (and it has the long version of It's a long way there), it may be all the LRB you'll ever need. I think the song selection is pretty good.

10. voicebug

After listening some more, '36 All-Time Greatest Hits' sound really, really good. To these ears, sound quality is better than the original Capitol 12 track Greatest Hits. These may be fairly flat transfers, and there's definitely some nice, natural tape hiss apparent on many tracks.

Of course, there's no liner notes at all. But this was quite the bargain for the $24 (including shipping) that I paid for this sealed copy off Ebay.

I can't compare it sound-wise to the 2 disc Rhino set since I don't have that collection, but overall I am very satisfied with this collection. :righton:

11. voicebug

Does anyone know if the Advanced Promo of the 2000 expanded Greatest Hits has the three alternate cuts? It seems logical that it would since this would have been distributed to radio before the retail version.

I've run across this Promo from time to time but never picked it up because of the horrid sound quality. It would be worth picking up for the three rare cuts.

12. Hawkman

This is a pure guess but I would say that unless they did ANOTHER Advance Promo for the updated copy that it probably has the three alternate cuts.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Best bets:

1. The non-remastered cd of "Greatest Hits"
    2. The 1995 2 cd "Anthology"

I've both and they sound just fine.

14. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

awesome i tipped correctly !! i was thinking it would because it is a more album track best of than a greatest hits collection. nice work

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that for those who only want the big hits, the original Greatest Hits CD sounds better than the remaster.

16. I haven't heard this so I can't comment on the sound quality, but the tracklisting is excellent. The only songs I'm missing is "Home on Monday" and "I dream alone". I should say go get it if it's not that expensive. Both missing songs are included on the Reminiscing compilation, so if you can find that one cheap that's also one to consider.

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I assume the Rhino 2-CD comp had a booklet with it? I ran across a set today for cheap but it had no book.

18. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

My copy does have a booklet in it. But if the set you found is dirt cheap, I'd say go for it!:righton:

19. voicebug

Yeah, I'd pick it up. I don't recall the booklet being all that enlightening in the Rhino set---just a brief band history.

20. voicebug

BTW, since I first started this thread, I did manage to find an Advance Radio Promo of the 2000 Greatest Hits and it does indeed have the 3 rare tracks as discussed.

The promo comes in a cardboard sleeve so I switched out the promo for the 'corrected' version in the jewel case of the remastered Greatest Hits.

My go to disc for just the hits, though, is the original unremastered, 12 track Greatest Hits. :righton:

21. Hawkman

Excellent!!! I have the commercial release before it was pulled. But I'm sure that I mention that somewhere up thread. :D

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 2 CD Reminiscing set although it is OOP, it does go for $20 on Amazon's Marketplace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.