The Very Best of Christopher Cross

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this one....

I think they did a great job remastering the songs for this compilation.

It was a long wait, but, well worth it!!

2. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Yeah. That's a nice one. I picked it up last year at Best Buy for $7.99.
    It's all the Christopher Cross I'll ever need.

3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I'm not a Gort or anything but I've always liked this passage...

Kinda says it all - doesn't it?

Ed

4. mickeyfrith

mickeyfrith Forum Resident

I have The Definitive Christopher Cross and actually prefer it over The Very Best of because it has a slightly different track listing. It includes "Words of Wisdom," which was left off the other collection. Sounds great to my ears too.

[​IMG]

5. annewithane

annewithane New Member

Thanks for the post, I see there are more CD's I need to buy soon :righton:

I recently picked up his Walking in Avalon and Greatest Hits Live and really liked those. Strange how sometimes you don't really listen to an artist until years later when suddenly you have to have it all :shh:

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not an easy artist to collect.

some CD's were import only, and some are OOP.

good luck in your quest.

renny

7. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

"Christopher Cross", "Another Page", "Rendez Vous", "Walking in Avalon" are from the same vein and very good.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This guy was Fleetwood Mac's limo driver before he got his "big break".
    Pretty amazing, huh?

the sands likes this.
  9. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Yeah, and he was known for riding like the wind ;)

That's news to me.

Siegmund and Ocean56 like this.
  10. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac veteran Chrsitine McVie guests on one song, "Never Stop Believing," from the album "Back Of My Mind". Nice album but not as strong as the ones that I've listed above (just my own opinion).

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Happens to me all the time. Usually after most of the catalog of said artist is out of print...

12. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Where's "Charm the Snake" on either of these?

bru87tr likes this.
  13. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

No ... I think it's on "Every Turn Of The World". Not my favorite but still worth (rocking harder than the others but with too much production to my taste)

14. annewithane

annewithane New Member

Well this CD (The Very Best of Christopher Cross) just jumped at me last night at the store so of course I had to buy it. Well I admit I was looking in the Christopher Cross section ha ha.

It sounds great! Thanks for posting.

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just recently picked up the 1991 Comp of "Christopher Cross - The Best Of"

its a German Import. I picked it up on ebay, brand new sealed for $15 shipped. its very nice sounding. only because I didn't have "arthurs theme" and figured this would be the best sound and maybe an old source since it was only release on the soundtrack at first in Japan.

I also picked up "Every Turn of the World" from an amazon seller for $9 shipped. its Mint and to my suprise was an original West Germany release with US art. its a very nice sounding disc. I personally think "It's You That Really Matters" is the best song on the cd. but a very underrated release. I think as a whole its very enjoyable.

LRP99 likes this.
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

also..... if you have never seen him live, go!!!

I seen him last in 1998 and he was great. small venue and was up front. prob one of the best shows I have ever been to.

I picked up Walking In Avalon recently and its a decent sounding disc for a newer release.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"walking in avalon" is an odd one, the live disc is HDCD, yet the studio disc is not.

renny

18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I didn't listen to the first disc yet, but that is strange. I heard the live disc was released before and just carried over on this release. maybe it was originally HDCD ?

noozgroop- "Charm The Snake" is on the 1991 "Best Of" I mentioned above.

19. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

It's too bad Christopher couldn't have had a few more hits. He peaked commercially with his first album and it was all down hill from there. By the time of his third album, "Every Turn of the World", he couldn't even crack the top 40 anymore.

Looking back through history, in the early '80s I read that his second album was originally supposed by out in fall 1981, around the time of "Arthur's Theme". I wonder that if it had been released at that time if it might have done better. They could have had a big 1-2 punch of "Arthur's Theme" followed by "All Right".

In the article I read, he stated he had a hard time getting into writing the second album since the first one was still doing so well on the charts.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

IMHO 'arthur's theme" should have been on the second album.. might have made a huge difference in sales (present and future).

renny

21. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

It was a "bonus track" on the cassette, but not the CD.

22. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Back when DVD-Audio was first getting some notice, there was talk that WEA would issue Cross' debut Lp along the way, probably sooner than later. Never happened, unfortunately. Woulda been a logical title to release.....

:ed:

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i did not know that.

should have been on the CD though.

renny

24. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

By the time Another Page came out in 1983, two years had already passed since "Arthur's Theme". Any fan who'd waited eons for a second Christopher Cross album would've said, "What? All this time I've waited for new material and you give us this two-year-old song? I bought the single in 1981, for heaven's sake. How about another new song, Chris?"

I don't think there's any way he could've won that argument at the time. Now, of course, it would be fine to add "Arthur's Theme" to Another Page ... but not then.

25. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

Nice to see good posts coming from this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.