Movies that best depict the Sunset Strip scene 1965-1967

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiodrome, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been reading Dominic Priorie's Riot On Sunset Strip and really enjoying all of the vivid descriptions of the scene at that time. Other than Riot On Sunset Strip and Mondo Hollywood, what other movies feature the Sunset Strip nightclubs and nightlife in a prominent role?

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

3. audiodrome

What about movies of that vintage?

4. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

The Trip (features a fairly lengthy scene during Fonda's...well...trip).

The Graduate (Ben takes Elaine to a strip club there).

Maybe not prominently...but at least authentically. Which is more than I can say for producer Sam Katzman's "Riot." :laugh:

Of course, then there's the episode of The Lucy Show where Lucy and Viv dress up as hippies and head over "there"...lol!

5. audiodrome

In Priorie's book, it says that the house featured in The Trip was Arthur Lee's house, and after seeing the Love documentary promo, that does seem plausible, although some people have said that the house belonged to Severn Darden.

I'll have to look out for that Lucy episode. With all the action going on back then, you would think that the strip would have been more thoroughly documented.

6. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I should have been more clear in my sarcasm Paul. That episode of The Lucy Show was shot on a set. So, there's really no true depiction of the Strip in that particular case. More like, middle-aged, sitcom-Hollywood's version of it and the youth culture. All played for laughs in the usual stereotypical (and somewhat corny) way :)

Your best bet IMO is still the scene in The Trip where Fonda is wandering through the streets there at night...and eventually ends up at a dance club.

I'll also add - that the movie Wild In The Streets references the Strip during Max's big rally.

7. audiodrome

Yes, The Trip is a great period piece. I wonder if the place where the International Submarine Band is rehearsing (at the beginning of the movie) was a real nightclub. The house with the multi-colored railings and the spiral checkerboard floor is an absolute classic!

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Love The Trip.

9. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

10. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

The scene in the Graduate is the first movie I remember that was filmed on Sunset Strip. Listening to the commentaries for the recent release of that movie, I found out that was a "stolen shot".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.