Best sounding David Bowie albums on the RCA CDs (only)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Of all the Bowie RCA CDs I have I like the Germany Ziggy Disc the least. IMO it is too bright and thin sounding.

2. Interesting. I only had the one minute clip as an mp3 file, and for that I liked the German RCA better, but maybe I need to listen to more of it.

3. I agree it is a little on the bright side. The Japan for USA was pretty much the same in my opinion though, maybe a tiny bit less bright.

Since my system is a little on the dark side anyhow, it still sounds decent to me.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Wowee, I just found the PCD1-4702 (Made in Japan) version of ZIGGY for $9.99 in a used store today...GREAT sounding disc! Haven't heard any remasters but can't imagine they could sound better. My first original Bowie RCA CD!

5. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I was wondering, for anyone who owns both the Ziggy Stardust SACD and an RCA CD, how do you compare the RCA with the stereo layer of the SACD? I do not own the RCA, just the SACD, and I like the 2-ch mix. However, I am sort of purging my small SACD collection, and it would be nice to have some input.

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Wow...found a Made in Japan original RCA ALADDIN SANE CD...and lordy, this thing sounds incredible! Obviously not futzed with - you can very clearly hear major differences in sonics between various tracks - equalization and/or mic'ing choices I guess, stuff like that, influencing the sound of the finished product. Definitely "warts and all," some of the tracks sound pretty crunchy and brittle on top, just like my vinyl copy, while others sound better balanced tonally. And there's a natural sounding amount of tape hiss. Jeez, when "Cracked Actor" kicks in on this CD, it sounds absolutely FEROCIOUS. Same with "Watch That Man," though it has that (as intended) kinda wonky mix, the guitars are just MEAN. TREMENDOUS bass throughout on this CD. Just, well, WOW! May take the prize for me of best sounding CD not specifically pitched/marketed as "audiophile."

I would imagine this CD sounds pretty close to what the source tape sounded like (though not sure of course whether that was the original master or some other generation - if the latter, though, it was a good copy, let me tell ya!).

HIGHLY recommended CD...I much prefer the sound to that on the 30th Anniversary edition I have.

7. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I definitely agree. That Aladdin Sane Japan RCA is legend. Sounds so fantastic. One of the best sounding CDs I own. Highly recommended.

8. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, do West German pressed copies of the RCA Aladdin Sane exist? Every copy with the West German RCA label design (grey rays) that I've ever seen (which isn't lots and lots, to be fair) has actually been manufactured in Japan. Could this be like Pinups (I think it is) where there are both Japanese and West German labels, catalog numbers, etc., but the CDs themselves are only manufactured in Japan?

Geoff

9. Jack_K.

Jack_K. Forum Resident

I think this is a pirate edition. There are many of these in Russia, and i't hard to know the original source. If anyone in Russia looks for a good sound, he or she never buys Russian CDs.

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

I forgot about this thread. I have picked up RCA copies for a handful of Bowie titles.

Does anyone know if the Japan (Japan for Japan/Japan for US) and W. Germany RCA "Space Oddity" CDs share the same mastering? This was brought up in another thread last week.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The Japan/West Germany thing is a confusing mess.

12. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

All my made in WG Greyfaces have silver hubs, while my made in Japan Aladdin Sane has a clear plastic hub. Just thought I'd mention it...:winkgrin:

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

As I wrote in that other thread, they do not. In fact, I don't know of any instance where the Japan and the West German RCA CDs share the same mastering.

14. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Interesting. According to KeithH:
    Any views?

15. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

I had both German and Japan "PinUps" and could detect no difference between the two soundwise

Agree with comments on Alladin Sane RCA, marvellous. "ChangesoneBowie" RCA is another great sounding disc

16. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

This seems hopelessly complex. And probably not good business practice for RCA.

Are you sure that it was an actual differential in the mastering? Or perhaps just different artifacts/sound from the different pressing plants?

For example, I know that Steve has sworn that there is no difference in the US versus Japan pressings of DCC's. My ears honestly do detect a difference in some cases. I've AB'd the two pressings of Saxophone Colossus on my Linn system, and, to my ears, the Japan pressing is meaningfully better.

Same mastering, though.

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

I'm surprised the EAC logs haven't come out yet (not that I am complaining, though, it is only an observation based on every other thread I read).

I've heard differences with "L.A. Woman". It wasn't until much later that my friend and me realized the discs came from different countries/plants - we didn't read the small print. They both sound good BTW. The (glass) masters they made at the Japan replication plants were not compatible with the US plants. The same goes for MoFi according to a post by Steve.

18. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Absolutely, I've noticed that one as well. IMO not as dramatic as the Saxophone Colossus, though.

Steve would probably shout me down, but I'd say there's a 10-15% improvement in resolution, imaging, presence, etc. in the Japan Rollins disc.

19. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Interesting. So one DCC disc may sound better than another? Same title obviously.

20. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Yes. Emphatically, at least in this instance.

Don't want to start anything, but it's true... :eek:

Suffice it to say, if you're a jazz guy, and moreover a Sonny Rollins guy, seek out that Japanese pressing of the gold disc. This first iteration lacked the slipcase, I think. At least it did in the case of the copy I bought on Tower Sunset in the '90's... So it may be one way to confirm it, if you're purchasing an unopened disc.

Can any DCC-phile reading this confirm or deny the slipcase issue?

21. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I know one who could.

22. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

You referring to the man, himself? There are others here, as knowledgeable about that kinda DCC info....

23. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I would have to think none more knowledgeable. I may be wrong of course.

24. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

None more knowledgeable, most definitely.

25. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

But was the German Pin-Ups really made in Germany, or was it made in Japan? If so, then it might not be representative.

Btw, here's the posting about Pin-Ups, earlier in this very thread actually, and Leif actually asks the question I asked earlier about Aladdin Sane. (The search engine is your friend, I know, I know....)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2135534&postcount=70

Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.