H-Bomb of the loudness wars

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seg763, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seg763

seg763 Senior Member Thread Starter

Times New Viking - RIP Allegory
    off their 'Rip It Off' album, painful at any volume

Attached Files:

• TNV.jpg
      TNV.jpg
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
  2. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What sort of music is it?

...no dynamics at all! I like it!! :D

4. seg763

seg763 Senior Member Thread Starter

they are compared to Guided by Voices. lo-fi indie rock, I actually read about them in a thread here, under best 2008 releases. I like loud and distortion, I've listened to Psychocandy & Raw Power many times, but I cannot get through Times New Viking.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=142422&highlight=viking

5. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

They left a little headroom in it. I see some squiggles. There's still room for more scrunch.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Oh, my word! I went to the Matador Records website just to check out what this was all about, and there was a link to listen to two (absolutely horrible sounding) tracks, and this little blurb:

<<hey kids, here are two tracks off our double A side single off our new record, ‘rip it off’. these were recorded at the state-of-the-art, multi-million dollar ’self-esteem studio’ recording facility in columbus, ohio. send us a post if you are interested in working there. very cheap rates and very fine chaps. we can put in a good word for you… because, as the big-wigs at the office tell us, cheaper recordings mean more money for drugs.>>

Is that for real?

--Matt

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The same problem I have with Jet's Shine On, and McCartney's (Paul McCartney's!!) Memory Almost Full. :(

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I once accidentally screwed up my Cool Edit Pro settings and recorded nothing but blaring white noise. The resulting waveform looked very much like the one posted above.

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Horrible.

I'm just waiting for someone to chime in that it has great clarity and detail, or that you don't know how something sounds by viewing a waveform. To them I say you couldn't pay me to listen to this kind of abomination.

rick

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. egor

egor Forum Resident

hipster irony

12. Come on, people! This disc has unbelievable clarity and detail - check it out! Use your ears, 'cause you can't tell how something sounds by viewing a waveform.

:winkgrin:

13. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Detail - that's what the marketing folks call dynamic compression these days. I'm sure this thing sounds great - if you're into sticking sharp objects in your ears.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I just "listened" to this on the Matador website.

How awful. Makes My Bloody Valentine sound like the Carpenters. Nothing but screeching distortion.

I hope they're being sonically ironic, and that this represents a turning point in the loudness wars (much like El Alamein in WWII).

15. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

That is, by far, the worst looking waveform that I've seen posted here! Blech. My ears hurt just looking at it. No need to listen to this one, kids....

16. :agree: :shake: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

:cussing:

18. egor

egor Forum Resident

I listened to one of their tunes at their myspace, and even at low volume, it was like nails on a chalkboard.

19. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

I thought this was an April Fool's joke at first. I was going 'what waveforms.'

Then I saw the faintest of squiggles at the top and went o.m.g.....

We seems to be raising quite a crop o' young'uns. Young, stupid, and stone cold deaf.

20. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Is this something Matador added to their website....today?

21. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

ROTFLMAO! That line needs to be someone's signature...

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

These guys don't care about fidelity... it's all about noise. This is how they want it to sound.

23. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

You know - on second look you can actually see a fadeout. :laugh: Didn't know it was possible to fade out something with 1/2 db of dynamic range.

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

:laugh: Hell, makes modern metal like Decapitated sound like the Carpenters!

If it's all about noise, I would argue there are other, more creative ways to accomplish that.

25. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Whoa! Listened to this at the Matador website. Absolutely HORRIBLE!

Well, at least the punishment is built into the crime; This "band" will be deaf by dawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.