Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. scuzzer

scuzzer New Member Thread Starter

Wow, there is only one thread with the man's name in it and it has no responses. I'm listening to Lucifuge and I can't imagine that fans of heavy metal wouldn't congregate around this kind of sound. Coming from an Iron Maiden/Judas Priest teenage viewpoint this stuff just crushes their early efforts.

Not to slag the groups I grew up with (and still love) this would have been what I'd have listened to at 17 if it was available then.

In that vein, what else should I be looking for? Samhain? Misfits? what titles, what else?

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Lucifuge was my favorite album of the early '90s era, hands down. You didn't have to be heavy metal to like it - just a fan of 70's hard rock which is what this is closer too. The first Danzig album is good but this one is in a league by itself - very well written and played, great production. At a time when speed metal and hair metal was going on, this was a breath of fresh air. I wish he'd have had hung up that dark angel stuff after that though....he doesn't need it.

BluesOvertookMe, baconbadge and KAT like this.
  3. scuzzer

Exactly, that's why I brought up the Judas Priest/Iron Maiden thing because although they had their own unique way of bridging that gap, Danzig covered it in spades vocally. I still think Maiden put together better riffs but Glenn had the vocal chops to be a mainstay in that genre, a genre that did not include HAIR.

I missed it though, any other recommendations? I'll likely buy them all, but I'd like to start with the best.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The first 4 Danzig albums are a must.

5. scuzzer

Not to be pesky but WHY? Are they similar or different, and in what ways. C'mon we can describe one aspect of the Beatles in 1500 posts and Glenn gets 2? What about Samhain? Misfits? Jeesus this place descects every release, sorry it's not the carpenters or monkees today.

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Because they RULE that's why! No seriously "Lucifuge" is highly underrated, I have a promo vinyl copy (which seems to be more prevalent than the stock copy) that sounds amazing. I love the first four Danzig Lps!

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:o No Misfits?!? Er, no really just get the boxset and let's move on...

8. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I don't consider Lucifige an "early" effort.

A "place in time" comparison with Maiden would be TNOTB. I can appreciate Lucifige, just not in the same league as Beast (Killers or S/T for that matter).

9. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the Misfits, Samhain and Danzig.

I guess the reason that the first 4 Danzig albums get mentioned so much is because the band that recorded them was extremely talented. The music was consistant and very well produced, something that has probably been lacking in most of Danzig's career, as he has a tendency to experiment and push musical boundries.

For my money Danzig's best stuff is probably the Samhain period. His voice just suits the dark hypnotic music to a tee.

MetalPatchesVinyl and punkmusick like this.
  10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

So true, we need more discussions about the other 'Man in Black'...
    Yes, those 1st 4 Danzig albums are a must!

11. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

He has a new album coming out. I have noticed some good reviews among the faithful. It is even going to be packaged in some kind of mock urn! Might here a bit more Danzig noise very soon.

12. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Danzig rules, first four are great -- I think he would be better off taking a step forward and stop the doom gloom heavy atmosphere thought, he always was on the movie in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and then began to cultivate his cult instead of breaking new grounds.

I still have the Misfits Package he sent me with flyers and a personal (long ) letter with drawings he sent me back in the misfits days for my fanzine. For this, I have eternal respect for the man (and for his music too).

Mr. H and punkmusick like this.
  13. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

The new Danzig is quite good. It's called DETH RED SABAOTH. There is a special edition with the elaborate package and there is also a vinyl 45 released as well for the first single.

punkmusick likes this.
  14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

We don't get a lot of metal discussions here in general. I suspect that's because metal is not considered "audiophile" by many folks. Just a guess. Looking at the output by DCC, MFSL, Audio Fidelity, and Analogue Productions, there isn't a lot of metal there.

I don't say this as a metal hater, mind you. Danzig is a band I have little experience with, but I love Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, and many others.

15. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

That's because these companies ignorance towards the hard rock and metal audience. Even major labels - who own 90% of this stuff - drag their feet when doing reissues and deluxe editions and other archival releases. If there was ever a genre that was made up of collectors who still buy CDs, it's metalheads. All these reissue labels will continue to mine 60s and 70s stuff, Motown, sort of mellow AAA stuff, etc.

It ain't easy being a metalhead, but it's also part of the credo to not give a crap either.

Nostradamus and KAT like this.
  16. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Oh yeah, and the first four Danzigs get my vote too. First two in particular. To me, those exemplify Rick Rubin's production style.

KAT likes this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I could never get into Danzig but I haven't tried since the early 90s, so it's time to try again!
    One of my favorite guitarists, Prong's Tommy Victor, has been playing with Danzig for several years now.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

By the way, I do have Danzig's self-titled album from 1988 on CD. I bought it years ago after hearing "Mother" on the radio. It's been quite awhile since I've listened to it.

My CD is on Def American with catalog number CK 65649. How does it rate soundwise against other versions?

19. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Another thumbs up on Tommy Victor. Underrated rhythm player. Tommy also plays on the Rob Zombie song "American Nightmare," from the Private Parts soundtrack that Howard Stern has been using as his intro music since about 1997 or so.

Prong was also very underrated as well and, honestly, never really totally fit the thrash tag they had. The first 3 of 4 Epic releases are great.

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Second note,

those 1st 4 Danzig albums sound great to these ears!

21. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Danzig needs a hug! :laugh::laugh:

22. motorcitydave

I concur. Not quite as good as the first 4. But, better than the last 2 or 3, imo.

23. motorcitydave

The original cd (1988) was mastered by Barry Diament. :cool::thumbsup:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

Danzig is a legend. His era of The Misfits its mindblowing.

I can't say much about his other projects since I don't know much about them. But what I've heard I love.

25. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

Even though I'm sure the new danzig is coming out tomorrow, I will not be getting it. I have ordered the special urn packaging and will be waiting for that before I listen to the album.

Just another curious note. I own a copy of the Danzig picture disc for Satans Child, it plays very poorly and skips in a couple of places if I'm not very careful. I asked about it on a Danzig fan site and not one person had played their copy of the disc.

Greenalishi and punkmusick like this.